Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

TA-DAAA!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Thanks, Chris, the footage was taken in Dec '96. Willow Springs will earn a warm place in your heart, but it'll take a while for you to get used to the speed. If you don't mind a suggestion, tape over your speedo from here on - it's too great a temptation to glance down! I've done thousands of miles on the big track, and my most incredible memory of the place wasn't even in a car - it was watching one! We were there on an open practice Friday when a big, white, semi pulls in. Out of the trailer comes, largely in pieces, an open-wheeled race car. I discover that I'm standing twenty feet away from the Williams F1 team assembling Alan Jones' F1 car for a shake down before the Long Beach GP!!! Jones got in the car, did a recon lap, the team checked the car over, and out he went. In less than five laps he did a 1:09.00!!! At that time I had not seen anyone go quicker than about 1:26.00 - no wonder the guy was a world champ! You should have seen that car go through turn 8, must have been pushing 200 - 210, WOW!
I can't even fathom the speeds that some of the PCA/POC club racers take through 8/9, let alone an F1 car! Reminds me of the Monterey Historics I went to a couple years back, they brought the current Toyota F1 car and the test driver. Shattered the track record at Laguna Seca lap after lap! I could not believe how fast the car would come back around to our vantage point, and you could hear the engine of that single car when it was way on the other side of the track near the Corkscrew. But, I think a Champ car beat that lap record the next year . . . . . I wonder what a modern F1 car could do at Willow Springs?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris: I have heard from a reliable source that someone has done a 59 sec. lap at Willow...but I'm not sure who.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As a follow up to my previous post, that number/time may not be correct. After doing some research, and getting some help from a friend, the numbers on record that I come up with are:

Michael Andretti, CART IndyCar, 3/87, Best time - 1:06.050

Nigel Mansell, F1, 2/82, Best time - 1:06.300

Average speed for each is listed as 136 mph...

Quick Reply: TA-DAAA!