Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 project car: Found!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 911 project car: Found!

Actually, I knew about it for several years now, just looked into it again. It's a restorer's dream, or nightmare depending on how you look at it. I'm not a restorer, just a novice enthusiast with some DIY experience that got introduced to a Porsche when I bought my first one 6 years ago. Looking for a piece of Porsche history to own, drive, and tinker with.

The car:
It's a 911 SC. I think it's a '77 or '78. It's that golden beige color, sorry if I offend since i don't know the Porsche color name. It has a rear wing. Brown interior. AFAIK, everything is OEM, never upgraded, one owner. Owned by a widow. Husband died 12 years ago. Car has been parked in an insulated but unheated garage, no cover, has not started in 12 years. It has 25K miles. It was simply parked and left there. Tires are flat, battery is dead, cobwebs hold it in place. Parked beside a '70's MB SL, the one the widow drives. Unfortunately for me, the widow is well-off, knows the value of money even if not the car, and in no hurry to sell.

The questions:
1. Price. What's a low-ball, fair, highball price?
2. How do you even start the engine? Just connect a battery and crank it? Replace the oil first, crank with plugs disconnected for a few revolutions?
3.What are the "Must do's"? I believe the timing chain was an issue in these cars, and will need to be upgraded.
4.Anything in the "Good idea but don't really need to" category?

Thanks!!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Definitely do not just crank the engine. You don't want a rusted piston ring to break apart when things get moving after 4,392 days of sitting. You will have to pull all spark plugs and spray some lubricant down the cylinders and let it sit. Then you'll have to drain all the fluids (brake fluid, oil, filter, trans, gasoline, etc.) and replace all filters.

Be prepared for a lot of replacement items on this car!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres extensive threads on pelican about this. as for the value its hard to say because its so low miles but sitting a long time. Id say 4-9k but its really whatever you can get it for. Good luck !
Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the above after towing it home. After soaking the cyls in a little light oil overnight see if it will turn freely by hand. Before running, with plugs out, turn engine with starter until oil pressure comes up. Then you find out if you have to go thru the fuel injection. 25,000 miles is really attractive but the color is not good (we have the bronze on the '83SC), coupe is good. There were 3 '78,'79 cars this last week advertised in Fresno and the SF Bay area from $7500 to $10000, 2 were running. All high miles. If you can do all the work yourself, $6000 or so would be attractive in my thinking. Tires are pricey,if the seals are going to leak the engine may need to come out. At that age, fuel lines may need replacement. If you have to go thru the F/I, it may take some time. -------"Unfortunately for me, the widow is well-off, knows the value of money even if not the car, and in no hurry to sell."------ Be careful here, prices have gone down in the last 6 months and are not on the rebound. She may be thinking of a couple of years ago regarding price. If she is unaware of the housing meltdown, which has impacted P cars, and not gotten prices in the last month, strike that, weeks, she is not aware of this market.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great advice already. further, unfortunately, when a widow "knows the value" (or so she thinks) & doesn't need to sell (has plenty of $), then you may be dealing w/ someone who doesn't appreciate that a car left sitting so long is NOT "avg book" value. in fact, what she thinks are worthy attributes are actually negatives. good luck explaining this to her - often, you need to get an intermediary like the executor of her husband's estate or son/daughter to get this through to her. you've got to assume the car will need a great deal of labor & a surprising amount of $ to get back into reliable road use, or YOU will be the one screwed. one alternative is to convince her to allow a trusted old 911 mechanic to get the car running (on HER nickel) so it can be accurately evaluated. (also... check the vin to be absolutely sure of the MY and that it is not a CA-specific version & inspect thoroughly for accident damage & rust, esp the hidden kind). good luck!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

If you decide on the car it just might be a diamond in the rough. I would low ball as much as I could, explaining to her that things go bad after cars just sit. If the car was in good order before it was just stored, it may only take a few things to get it running angain...thus ending up being a really good car.
price is hard to nail down. If the car was well maintained I would offer more than what has been stated, but the less you have to spend to get it the better you will be.

We also have nothing else to go by...no pictures or discription of the interior/exterior condition. Dash, gauges, lens covers, headliner, rubber seals, etc etc. those things can add up real quick if needing replacment.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you buy the car DO NOT attempt to start it until the gas has been drained, the tank evaluated (pulled, hot tanked & sealed), and all of the fuel lines inspected. The car will need a complete brake overhaul, a new battery, plugs pulled and a little Mystery Marvel Oil put into each cylinder (let it sit that way for 3-4 days), crank engine by hand, and...

Price: Depending on paint & interior, it's worth what you write the check for...
Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

"Price: Depending on paint & interior, it's worth what you write the check for..." ------EXQUISITE thought process Peter, and good insight as usual.--------
Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Lots of info. Thank you. Just spent significant amount of time reading the tech articles at Pelican also.

I stand corrected on color. Dust covered Bronze is the color.

Thank you as well for the ball-park figure, $5-10K.

As to condition, everything is intact. Paint is solid, no chips, rust, nor dents. Rubber door seals, seats, carpets, panels, are all intact. Caveat, as you all know, is that it is intact but untouched for 12 years. I'd have to pull things out and put the car on a lift to see more, but I'm not in that stage yet.

I'll start working on the widow and see what her expectations are.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

I just realized that last sentence can be taken soooo many ways .
Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let her keep it parked beside her Mercedes until she stops driving. I'd like to think my wife would to the same.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

That is certainly one thought, LaughaC. But, if that were her intention, I am sure she would at least keep it clean. I would, or I would like to think my wife would. Right now it just looks neglected. I can or will restore it to it's original glory.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think I'd pay $10K for that car.

Car sitting untouched=Not good

I'd rather go for a well cared for higher mileage car that is a known quantity. Rubber seals and such may look good, but my guess is stuff is potentially deteriorated or dried out. Unless, of course you TRULY "steal" this car.

Calpers, wheel bearings, engine seals, engines, transaxles, fuel lines, brake lines, weather seals, etc do not take well to non usage for 12 years on top of fairly low miles to begin with.

Quick Reply: 911 project car: Found!