Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Which year Carrera to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but there are differnces over the years that make difference you may want to consider. I know the axles and rear wheel bearings were upgraded in 86 and possibly engine output that carried through till the end in 89. this combined with the lighter 915 gearbox and gear ratios make an exciting car in 86 with the best of the old and new - given the 915 trans. Again I am not at all sure of my facts here but several years ago I went down this same road with a customer looking for a carrera and we concluded the 86 model year was unique and special car for his objectives. Careful considerations were given to the specifications of each year and numerous small things became evedent that swayed his decision. Sorry I can't add any more details other than look carefully at every year and the changes that took place. Also, I hesitate to suggest for fear of starting another "chip" debate, but there are 89-93 964 cars available in the price range of 87-89 cars and they represent a great deal more car for the money in some people's mind. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
Wow Peter.. Thanks... Learn something new every day...
+1! That's some good info, Peter, especially about the final drive ratio difference. .44 is pretty signification IMO.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whalebird
Also, I hesitate to suggest for fear of starting another "chip" debate, but there are 89-93 964 cars available in the price range of 87-89 cars and they represent a great deal more car for the money in some people's mind.
Oooh... such comments will get you banished back to the to the "engine in the wrong end of the car" boards.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Thanks for sharing your expertise Pete! I feel like I went to UZ (University of Zimmerman)

Keith
'88 CE coupe

ps: I'm sticking with salsa from now on if I want to improve a chip.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but there are differnces over the years that make difference you may want to consider. I know the axles and rear wheel bearings were upgraded in 86 and possibly engine output that carried through till the end in 89. this combined with the lighter 915 gearbox and gear ratios make an exciting car in 86 with the best of the old and new - given the 915 trans. Again I am not at all sure of my facts here but several years ago I went down this same road with a customer looking for a carrera and we concluded the 86 model year was unique and special car for his objectives. Careful considerations were given to the specifications of each year and numerous small things became evedent that swayed his decision. Sorry I can't add any more details other than look carefully at every year and the changes that took place. Also, I hesitate to suggest for fear of starting another "chip" debate, but there are 89-93 964 cars available in the price range of 87-89 cars and they represent a great deal more car for the money in some people's mind. Good luck.
86 is also the year that the AC condensers and dash vents were upgraded, making it the first year with stock AC that might actually work in the real world.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been many years since I went through that decision tree but here's my $.02 FWIW:
- Some of the decision criteria will depend upon how you plan to use the car. My usage was/is for "alternate daily driver" meaning nicer days to/from work and short pleasure trips.
- I really liked the G50 from the cars I test drove and thought it would be more pleasant experinece in traffic and more reliable (I've had 0 problems except replacing/upgrade clutch)
- AC is marginal on any of these cars in the heat of summer. I'd imagine the pre 86 w/ smaller vents is totally worthless
- Condition is more important that year or mileage IMHO. I know well-cared-for examples running strong w/ 200K on them
- Some years had issues w/ premature valve guide wear necessitating top end rebuild...I had that on my early build 87 so look for smoke/oil consumption and beware or buy one that has had the issue addressed already
I recall that earlier Carreras had issues with head studs breaking but not sure which years. This can be an expensive repair
- All these are 20 year old cars now so budget repairs
- I keep thinking about buying a newer version but every time I get behind the wheel I have too much fun. I love the raw feel of these cars - the newer 911s are great but just a little too sanitized for me.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drove an '88 and an '83... and bought the 83 SC. Just felt faster and more raw.. I probably would have liked the 84 915 cars... I think its personal preference... Id much rather have an 83 or 84 that is in great shape than an 87 or 88 that is average.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KC911
ps: I'm sticking with salsa from now on if I want to improve a chip.
Aha! But type of salsa? Some salsa makers advance the capsicum level so high it’s obvious that they don’t have any idea what they’re doing! You spammers just have no idea! Internal & external combustion! That's right! Severe intestinal pinging!!!! You’re all idiots!

Ian

(Sorry. I couldn't resist )
Old 02-24-2008, 06:38 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

personally i love my 84, the only year with carrera power and the older SC style interior
Old 02-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
Sold the S and the SC seems about sorted out(thanks to all your help), so I am on the hunt for the Carrera. I am aware of the G50 tranny, pre-buy inspections, Carfax, and bought 2 SC cars with good results. Also, I have almost all the books including Peter's book, and all the engine/car code #s. However, I know little about the 84-88 cars except for the increased horse power, improved suspension and the Moltronics improvement. I have plenty of time to look. Is there any year that is the killer car to own. We got the 1983SC and I think it is the pick of the litter-- is there a heavy bias on the Carrera with year?
What are you hoping to achieve by switching from the SC to the Carrera?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

----What are you hoping to achieve by switching from the SC to the Carrera?-------------

Switching? I really had not thought about that. I figured on keeping both for a bit. I got a boy that is the Porsche fan and listed below is why I want one also and think they are the best thing in today's market place (not that I am an expert). The fuel injection system in the Carrera may be better and deliver better fuel usage if driven the same. More HP stock. G50 tranny. I have a same year spare engine and tranny for the SC, in case we keep it for many years--which we may. I do like the car, but I have never owned a Carrera and they are on the Cheap in Ca. right now

--------- there are 89-93 964 cars available in the price range of 87-89 cars and they represent a great deal more car for the money in some people's mind.-------------

I have spent some time on the 944 side and then researched what I learned from those guys. The 964 and 944 are truly underpriced great cars. A 944 turbo cup type silver Rose was a steal at the miles/condition/price and a couple of 964s are around at a good prices. However, there are some problems for me.
1. The 911 takes more skill to drive well, if one wants challenge, the 911 is the car.
2. Resale of any thing right now sucks, but the 944/964 is much worse. Maybe 40% off last year-IF you can sell it.
3.At age 68, I can drop the 911 engine and work on it with less back and other aging body parts problems. I can not bend over into the cars from the top any more.
4. I do not like the design of the 944 engine.
5. COOL is 911, ask any 10 year old or my 90 year old mother.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:19 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

'Nuf said.

Ian
Old 02-25-2008, 12:37 AM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

-------

--------- there are 89-93 964 cars available in the price range of 87-89 cars and they represent a great deal more car for the money in some people's mind.-------------

I have spent some time on the 944 side and then researched what I learned from those guys. The 964 and 944 are truly underpriced great cars. A 944 turbo cup type silver Rose was a steal at the miles/condition/price and a couple of 964s are around at a good prices. However, there are some problems for me.
1. The 911 takes more skill to drive well, if one wants challenge, the 911 is the car.
2. Resale of any thing right now sucks, but the 944/964 is much worse. Maybe 40% off last year-IF you can sell it.
3.At age 68, I can drop the 911 engine and work on it with less back and other aging body parts problems. I can not bend over into the cars from the top any more.
Is it possible you have confused the 964 and 968? You describe the 944/964 as though they are variations of the same. The 964 whalebird referred to is the "911" (Carrera 2 or 4) for the model years 1989 (C4 only, C2 introduced in 1990) TO 1994.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am the proud owner of an '88 manual cabrio that I would not change for the world. It is zero to 60 in about 6 of the funnest seconds of my life. Second gear is the best......that, and my boss constantly wanting to trade his 997 for it on the weekends. Not gonna happen.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

----What are you hoping to achieve by switching from the SC to the Carrera?-------------

Switching? I really had not thought about that. I figured on keeping both for a bit. I got a boy that is the Porsche fan and listed below is why I want one also and think they are the best thing in today's market place (not that I am an expert). The fuel injection system in the Carrera may be better and deliver better fuel usage if driven the same. More HP stock. G50 tranny. I have a same year spare engine and tranny for the SC, in case we keep it for many years--which we may. I do like the car, but I have never owned a Carrera and they are on the Cheap in Ca. right now

OK I thought you were getting rid of the SC for the Carrera. But since you're keeping the SC the only reason I could see for getting a Carrera is for the G50. It is better to shift but a well-adjusted 915 with a nice WEVO shifter is supposedly as good or better than a G50 for a lot less money. Although I've never driven a USA SC I can't imagine the power difference alone to go to a 84-86 Carrera would be very impressive.
FWIW my Euro SC can pull away from my friend's 87 Carrera on the track. Remember, from 78-89 you gain power but you also gain weight...and I'm not talking about the difference in weight between a 915 and a G50.

Quick Reply: Which year Carrera to buy