Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need some serious help...1981 911 targa

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 06:36 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need some serious help...1981 911 targa

I have not ONE clue about how ANYTHING in this car is supposed to be.
me and my dad just got back from picking up this 50,000 mile very nice looking white on red 911 up and we get it home to discover all sorts of perplexing things.
we have been 944 guys up until now and have no clue about this thing.

there are wires everywhere. and weird shield baffle looking things that I assume go in the engine compartment? the engine doesnt run but maybe thats because the fuel line is missing. along with a pipe that im sure is supposed to go from the oil pressure sensor thing to the banjo bolts on the valve covers? there are grounds undone and ac lines undone and god knows what else.

take a look at the pics and through great wisdom lead me to the light on getting this thing fixed up! and is there possibly anyone in the area that could help?
Attached Images            
Old 02-14-2008 | 06:38 PM
aribop
Race Car

oh..I'm campeck not aribop. thanks for any help!
Old 02-14-2008 | 06:57 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you need to take this to a porsche mechanic. There seems to be an enourmous amount of work that needs to be done. Or buy a shop manual if you are mechanically inclined. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Just curious, how much did this car cost you, and did you buy it knowing it was not running?
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:19 PM
aribop
Race Car

We are very mechanically inclined. so no porsche mechanics are touching this car. we got it for a good price and yes we knew it wasnt running. most of the wiring seems to be an aftermarket alarm system. the good thing is that this car seems to be all mechanical so there shouldnt be many wiring issues once the alarm system is out. and there shouldnt be any reason the engine doesnt run unless its a major mechanical issue.
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't want to sound blunt, or rude, but you need a manual, preferably a factory one. You have bought yourself a real project, one that looks as though there may be internal engine issues as well as the obvious. The chain box covers and rocker covers have been off recently, and reinstalled without sealing washers under the nuts. I fear that someone got in way over their head on this car, and you should be prepared to at least pull all the covers back off, verify cam timing, verify that there are no broken head studs, verify compression with a leak down test, and go from there.

The wiring might be much easier. Just loosen every aftermarket alarm and stereo component and start removing wiring/relays, etc. that are part and parcel to those systems. Repair all factory wires as you go, and try to locate their original connections, such as the power wire for the fuel pump, etc. In most cases, all wiring in shrink tube will be factory, all loose wires or taped harnesses will usually be aftermarket. Don't remove any wires until you know their purpose.

Get that battery disconnected and out of the trunk compartment, wash the area with baking soda, remove the gas gauge sender from the gas tank and check the inside of the tank for rust and moisture.

This looks to be a daunting task, and once it's running you will be faced with possible trans, clutch and brake issues. Take it a step at a time and good luck!
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

looks like that engine has been very quickly stuffed into that car ... the firat thing I would do is check to see if it is the original engine .. .
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:37 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

A white on red targa......excellent choice sir.

A Bentley manual might be a good start.
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:50 PM
aribop
Race Car

ok. so a manual sounds good. the engines been apart recently huh? well we were thinking about taking it out anyway and cleaning it up. how do you take it out anyway?

once its out ill take pics and go from there. Theres an ecu on ebay for an 81 911 sc...so i geuss it does have a brain. what does it control? the spark and advance are controlled by vauum it looks like. is the CIS (?) computer controlled? and how do i check to see if its the original engine?

thanks everybody!
Old 02-14-2008 | 07:58 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

That looks like a TFN. Good luck getting it sorted and running!

Andreas
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:02 PM
dsmith
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also , not to be rude. That's an awesome parts car or a $25k daily driver.

I've disassembled most of the 911 I had, and can identify all of those parts. That's a tough assignment to piece back together without any knowledge of the car. All of that extra wiring won't help the cause.

I've got some good stock tensioners, covers and new cam oil lines for starters.

What exactly was the goal getting that thing? You need to give the kind folks here an expected budget to help you decide to keep, sell or part.
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:27 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 opne on the other posts about the Bently.

Do you have anyone local in the Porsche club community nearby to help you out?
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:51 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the posting name said aribop and the text said "me and my dad", I was confused

Glad to see you two on a 911 project. They're really fun cars. And the year you picked up will seem simplistic as far as engine systems go coming from the 944/951 world. I can probably get you some manuals through a local fellow out here, shoot me a PM on what you need and/or would like, I'll see what I can dig up.

Good luck, that's a sharp little targa. It'll be fun to watch the progress.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:58 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, congrats on the 911 project. Looks like fun.
Old 02-14-2008 | 11:18 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Cool project. Get rid of the "codealarm", it will only make sorting out the car more difficult. Also, the exhaust pic looks normal.

It's easy for me to say, but i'd drop the motor and get get the motor sorted and engine compartment organized.

Keep us updated.
Old 02-14-2008 | 11:27 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The ecu only controls the o2 sensor on the cis cars, those banjo bolts on the cam towers are missing the oil pressure line that goes from cam tower to cam tower and to the threaded port by the oil pressure sending unit. You should also look into upgrading to the oil pressur fed chain tensioner's, because it will be a real good upgrade and it will also include a new oil line as described above. You can kill 2 birds there. The open ducts under the car on the exhaust manifolds aka heat exchangers are missing the ducting that goes through the engine trays and up to the electric blower motor on the drivers side of the the intake manifold. Engine comes out real easy, but definitly get a manual and follow it's directions, to much to list here in regards to removing the engine. Where are you located?

Semper fi.

Quick Reply: I need some serious help...1981 911 targa