Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Different kind of engine oil question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 04:35 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Different kind of engine oil question

Our '87 911 has been in the family since 1990, first with the in-laws and then we got it in 2006. The whole time we have used Mobil 1 15w50 with an oil and filter change every ~ 5,000 miles. The car just turned over 115K miles and it is time for another oil change. Based on the numerous engine oil threads, I was ready to order some Brad Penn oil.

Then I was at my local independant mechanic who I have used for years on both my Bimmer and the 911 and asked him what to use. He said for the older, pre-993, 911's he recomends regular Shell or Valvoline, non-synthetic oils. Something to the effect that the synthetic stuff is so fine that it is a reason for a lot of the little oil leaks. I have heard this about the synthetics before. There were other reasons for not using the synthetics on the older 911's also, but this is what stuck in my head.

Sure this will get some interesting replies, but would like to hear your opinions. While I am pretty sure I am going to go the Brad Penn route, it would be nice if switching to regular oil would clear up some of the leaks. Any issues with going from synthetic back to regular oil?

Last edited by jsabatini; 02-14-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2008 | 04:46 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of my 88s or 85 leaked with synthetic. I would stick with the stuff myself. I use Royal Purple in mine. I get it at Pep Boys.
Old 02-14-2008 | 05:02 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

There was an interesting article on oils recommended by Porsche in the (I think) January Panorama. It mentioned the requirement for additives, much like Steve Weiner suggested months ago in an oil thread here (don't have a link to that, but easy enough to search).

My 83 leaks a lot more with the Mobil 1 FWIW, but I still think it affords better protection for my street/autox/track use of the car, sometimes at higher-than-desired temps.
Old 02-14-2008 | 05:57 PM
lfe132
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Mobil 1 Syn in my 84 911, it has 132k miles on it with NO leaks. Even if it did leak a little I think the benefits out way the small leak issues.
Old 02-14-2008 | 06:08 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

is it me or does anyone think this brad penn stuff is just marketing BS hype?
Old 02-14-2008 | 06:37 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sinfulsteve
None of my 88s or 85 leaked with synthetic. I would stick with the stuff myself. I use Royal Purple in mine. I get it at Pep Boys.
If seen that screw up a few engines. Probrobly because of the graphite they use. I wouldnt trust it
Old 02-14-2008 | 06:44 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche930dude
If seen that screw up a few engines. Probrobly because of the graphite they use. I wouldnt trust it
I know they're high in phosphorous,..but graphite isn't even measured in my oil analysis..I used to run RP Max Cycle (2 changes) but now run Brad Penn 20W50.....changed every 3K.

Whatzup with the graphite deal?

Best,
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:50 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"is it me or does anyone think this brad penn stuff is just marketing BS hype?"

It's you. BP is a very good oil - I am now using it in my '87 w/ 120K mi. I had been using M1 15-50 since I got it (@ 75K mi, I think the previous owner was using Castrol GTX), until the concern over the reformulation of all SM spec oils. the BP is 90% "dino" / 10% synth blend. in the winter, when I don't drive the car for a week or more, I'd get a bit of oil leakage from an oil return tube(s) which are due for replacement in any case. since the switch to BP 20-50, no change, just a little leakage... oil consumption is a bit better than w/ the M1, but not a major diff - it uses about 1 qt every 800-1000 mi, depending on ambient, type of driving, etc. (car is not a commuter, so it gets longer drives / use).

interesting, the BP displays NO API conformance, but states that it has additives that are safe when mixed w/ SJ-CF spec (that, to me, is a clue). BP is not the only valid alternative to SM ZDDP-light oils (SWEPCO, among others), but it is appealing in that it is devised for high rpm use in flat-tappet race motors, and of course, many of us liked Kendall "classic" back-in-the-day. Priced right, too.
Old 02-14-2008 | 08:54 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by hoffman912
is it me or does anyone think this brad penn stuff is just marketing BS hype?

I don't think so. Brad Penn appears to be a modern version of the one time great Kendal GT oil. There is an ongoing discussion about oil at LNEngineering. Charles is rather detailed in his studies of oils. In short for our air-cooled cars it comes down to the Brad Penn 20W-50, Swepco 15W-40, Mobil 1 V-twin 20W-50 and Royal Purple Cycle Max 20W-50.

All others look to have very reduced levels of ZDDP anti-wear additives that our older cars need for their valve trains.

Many of the long time favorites (M1 15W-50, Valvoline VR1, Castrol GTX, etc.) have been reformulated and may not be a good choice in the air-cooled Porsche engines. Even the HDEO's (Shell Rotella and other diesel oils) now have reduced levels to meet current and future specs for emision equipment related issue's.

In the end chose the oil you feel meets your needs and your comfort level.
Old 02-14-2008 | 09:54 PM
CrazyCabbie
Intermediate

~Amsoil~
Old 02-14-2008 | 11:04 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

BP is 99% hype in my humble view. If you change your oil every 3k, u will be fine. Its about maintenance... I talked to 10 local mechanics here in the oil capital of the world (houston), all had porsche's in their shop and claimed to be specialized in classic porsches, and all had 80's porsches in their garages.. two were recommended as the experts in houston on this very board... and none used brad penn, in fact 9 had never heard of it... almost all used good old castrol 20 w 50... i have a clean 83 sc that doesn't leak, burn or use a drop with 95k miles and its never seen brad penn... all my receipts dating back 10 years say good old 20 w 50 dino... who are you going to trust? 10 local porsche mechanics who had 200 years of experience between them? some members and trainers in local PCA events, or a few oil engineers that like to clog these boards with hype when they actually sell the products they are hyping... make your own judgment...
Old 02-15-2008 | 01:39 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Brad --

LN has done actual tests.

also I will take Steve W's opinion over those of 'ordinary' PCar mechanics in TX...

no one has hyped Brad Penn or the other oils that sells them, EXCEPT a few people picked it up LATER ON - after the testing - as a service to their customers.

You are right to be cautious about various claims, in general. In this case however, I advise you to read the very detailed threads on testing of this and a few other quality oils, as well as the recent changes in SM level oils that have removed some important anti-friction chemicals.
Old 02-15-2008 | 07:46 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randywebb
Brad --

LN has done actual tests.

also I will take Steve W's opinion over those of 'ordinary' PCar mechanics in TX...

no one has hyped Brad Penn or the other oils that sells them, EXCEPT a few people picked it up LATER ON - after the testing - as a service to their customers.

You are right to be cautious about various claims, in general. In this case however, I advise you to read the very detailed threads on testing of this and a few other quality oils, as well as the recent changes in SM level oils that have removed some important anti-friction chemicals.
+1

Best,
Old 02-15-2008 | 10:14 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brad, "... talked to 10 local mechanics here... 9 had never heard of it..."
just for grins, go back & ask them if they've ever heard of or used Kendall GT-1.
of course, being a PA refined oil, I suspect it would be frowned upon in TX - even back-in-the-day...
(maybe ask 'em about SWEPCO - is it available in Houston?)
or, ask them if they are aware of the recent reformulation of consumer auto & diesel engine oils in the US, then ask the ones who ARE aware, what was changed, why & if that means anything to them...
cheers!
Old 02-15-2008 | 06:11 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

...and if you don't get an instant answer (Z & P as related to flat tappet engine),....well,....then you (or at least: me) have your answer.

Best,

Quick Reply: Different kind of engine oil question