Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Considering an '84 911 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
Skip the 964...Lol, I will keep that in mind for the future. I didn't put a lot of thought into the resell for a future one. Your right that may take some time. I assuming that I would get killed on a trade? Have most of you guys sold your cars privately or traded them?
If you're talking trade to a dealer, you'll not do very well. Why not just wait for the 964, if it is indeed short term?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Skip the 964...Lol, I will keep that in mind for the future. I didn't put a lot of thought into the resell for a future one. Your right that may take some time. I assuming that I would get killed on a trade? Have most of you guys sold your cars privately or traded them?
Private is the way to go, IMO, unless you have a good deal of money. You have to pay an average of $3,000 to cover a dealer cost of getting most older 911s up to sale condition, not to mention taxes (each state is different).

But the best cars are either usually on Rennlist, Excellence or PCA classifieds, because the owners are knowledgeable and have likely much more history and upgrades than an unknown car at a dealership.

That said, there are some very good dealerships, so ask around on these pages and Pelican if you want to go that route.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
rennsource
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe

I am just looking for something short term to tide me over till I can move up to a 964 or maybe a 993. I figure I will start with this and see what happens.
I can tell you from exerience you won't sell it in six months to a year. you will fall in love with it. I bought mine two years ago with the same plan. hold for six months to a year, then move to a 993. i've put it up for sale twice for less than a day and pissed people off, but could never follow through with selling. the targa is just awesome in the spring/summer/fall. unfortunately i can't move up to a 993 without selling it, so catch 22, i can't make the swap because i couldn't fathom being porscheless. besides zimmermann rates the 3.2's as almost best of the breed. good luck.

pete
Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Bob S
Instructor

"I can tell you from exerience you won't sell it in six months to a year. you will fall in love with it"

I have to agree.... Several times over the last few years thought about selling one of mine, just couldn't do it... Like selling a family member...without the agruments!!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

In terms of selling it private would be the way to go based on everyone's opinion which makes sense. I can get a few extra dollars that way and find the right buyer. In terms of moving up, maybe I won't for a while. I have driven a few Porsche's mainly older ones the 964 mainly and I really have enjoyed it. More than likely I will stick with the 3.2 for a while. It seems as though everyone here enjoys them so much! I appreciate everyones input. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 PM
kiwipunter
5th Gear

Talking 85 Targa

I purchased my 85 Targa a few months ago at an auction with zero fore thought.
I had been looking at newish 997's for a few months and this fun looking (yes, I got caught up in the auction action) pcar literally rolled in front of me and when it stalled at 13K I watched my hand go up in the air like it just had speak up and won it! Paid 13,250, plus 10% buyer fee, painted the hood, roll bar and engine hatch, installed new carrera and targa emblems from dealer and
LOVE this car!
It had 107K miles and is very pretty from 10 feet away. Everything works great except a bit of rash in driver seat-repairable, cruise cable broken, one driving lamp out and back seat tabs broken but easily fixable. No smoke, no drips, drives straight as an arrow. Tires are almost off the shelf.
No PPI. I didn't know what one was. I'm getting connected with a great mechanic in Boise and don't know how I've lived so long without one of these in my life? I think I made out very well indeed!https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/jumper.gif
Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the input Kiwi. I guess different stroke for different folks. I do know the feeling of driving a Porsche, there really is no substitute. I am glad to hear that worked for you.

UPDATE: On the Porsche search. I dropped into the dealership to see the car in the flesh. It really is a beautiful looking Porsche from up close. Tiny, compared to the 964. It was cold when I started it but, it fired up immediatly and I let it purr for a few minutes. There were a few puffs of smoke here and there, but it ran incredibly smooth.
The interior was clean, seats in really great shape. Everything worked properly gauges, etc. I was really getting pumped. They opened the garage for me and I slowly put the car in gear, easing out the clutch. The clutch was nice and smooth with a sturdy take up. Before I knew it I was off, the car of course was solid as a rock, very straight. I shifted into second everything felt good. I turned out onto a major highway and let it rip. The car had incredible take off for being 23 years old. I was really impressed it was intoxicating, but the fun quickly ended when I could not get the shifter into third. There was a terrible grinding noise. I almost crapped my pants. I dropped it into fourth with a puzzled look on my face. After turning around I again tried to get into third by just inching it in it still didn't work.
I returned and told the saleman that the third gear is totally shot. He said they would look into and let me know by tomorrow. I am thinking its time to move on this could lead to more problems than I currently want to deal with. To say the least I am disapointed in the gearbox. I know why people rave about the
G50 box. Any input or similar situations like this? What would you do?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

An experiance PPI mechanic would be able to tell you if 3rd gear is really shot or if it just needs new linkage bushings. He has driven many 915s, they are known to have a very distinct 'personality' from what I hear.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Thank you for the input Kiwi. I guess different stroke for different folks. I do know the feeling of driving a Porsche, there really is no substitute. I am glad to hear that worked for you.

UPDATE: On the Porsche search. I dropped into the dealership to see the car in the flesh. It really is a beautiful looking Porsche from up close. Tiny, compared to the 964. It was cold when I started it but, it fired up immediatly and I let it purr for a few minutes. There were a few puffs of smoke here and there, but it ran incredibly smooth.
The interior was clean, seats in really great shape. Everything worked properly gauges, etc. I was really getting pumped. They opened the garage for me and I slowly put the car in gear, easing out the clutch. The clutch was nice and smooth with a sturdy take up. Before I knew it I was off, the car of course was solid as a rock, very straight. I shifted into second everything felt good. I turned out onto a major highway and let it rip. The car had incredible take off for being 23 years old. I was really impressed it was intoxicating, but the fun quickly ended when I could not get the shifter into third. There was a terrible grinding noise. I almost crapped my pants. I dropped it into fourth with a puzzled look on my face. After turning around I again tried to get into third by just inching it in it still didn't work.
I returned and told the saleman that the third gear is totally shot. He said they would look into and let me know by tomorrow. I am thinking its time to move on this could lead to more problems than I currently want to deal with. To say the least I am disapointed in the gearbox. I know why people rave about the
It's probably a bit of a let down for you. But think of it this way: you love these cars, so why not drive more than 1? Invariably you'll find a better can than the one you drove. The more you drive, the more acquainted you'll become and know what a good car feels like.

A short story: When I drove my first SC, I thought there was something wrong with the transmission. I returned the car to the dealer and asked for another SC with a "working" gearbox. The second car shifted exactly like the first car. It was then that I realized what is "normal" for these cars. In this case, it was me who was "broken" because I needed to adapt and learn how to shift these cars...

I'm not suggesting that you drove the car improperly. I just mean that after you drive a few of these cars, you'll know how these things will start to feel and you'll know when something is up.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Murphy, I understand what your saying and I agree, what it really comes down to is experience. Your right I just need to continue driving them till I can get a better feeling. Just for my own edification, I hear about the pause and shift, easy from 1-2 etc. If you pause between 2 heading into 3 it should slip in smoothly?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwipunter
I'd walk, if not run. Third gear isn't a typical issue, normally it would be second gear where you'd maybe see an issue. It has nothing to do with it being a 915 or a G50.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
It's probably a bit of a let down for you. But think of it this way: you love these cars, so why not drive more than 1? Invariably you'll find a better can than the one you drove. The more you drive, the more acquainted you'll become and know what a good car feels like.

A short story: When I drove my first SC, I thought there was something wrong with the transmission. I returned the car to the dealer and asked for another SC with a "working" gearbox. The second car shifted exactly like the first car. It was then that I realized what is "normal" for these cars. In this case, it was me who was "broken" because I needed to adapt and learn how to shift these cars...

I'm not suggesting that you drove the car improperly. I just mean that after you drive a few of these cars, you'll know how these things will start to feel and you'll know when something is up.
Apple and oranges.

if it is a problem going to 3rd, that is not right.

In my opinion, Porsches may be a bit vague in shifting, but third gear typically isn't an issue.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

It looks like I will have to walk on this one. I appreciate everyones input and guidance. Eventually I will make the right decision just not at this point. I will keep everyone informed in the future.
Thanks,
Brandon
Old 01-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go drive a g-50 car and a sorted 915. Then you'll be better able to choose.

And of course, PPI, PPI, PPI...

Good luck!

Paul.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Bob S
Instructor

It might be worth the expense to get the PPI, if you really like the car... If the trans. needs rebuilding, at least you'll know and maybe the price can be adjusted . A PPI from a reliable shop, is the only way you'll be sure.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the input. I am going to continue looking at 3.2's with the 915 and G50 gearboxes just that I can compare. Who knows maybe a 964 or two! I will do a PPI inspection when the right one comes along.

Quick Reply: Considering an '84 911 Targa