Biggest bang for the buck - 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003 | 12:44 PM
Boxer 6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Biggest bang for the buck - 87 Carrera

Hi Folks,

I realize that this post will generate alot of opinions, but I'll ask anyhow. With the track season quickly approaching, I am seeking feedback on what I should do with my 87 Carrera to gain some more power at the track. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Boxer 6
Old 02-24-2003 | 04:45 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

I'm personally investing in more stopping power. Pagid Orange all around. I think it'll be good bang (no fade) for the buck (~$250 self install). I've eaten up my pads at D/E's in the past when using "street performance" type pads.

For more horsepower, would a cat bypass be best? Around 10hp for $125 plus labor.
Old 02-24-2003 | 06:47 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Some start with improved breathing; a less restrictive air box/filter and exhaust, headers, and a new performance chip mapped to the new configuration. I don't think a cat bypass will boost hp by 10, and it may lower torque some. If you don't mind going into the engine and spending more money (and some reduced reliability and everyday drivability, that's where you can get more impressive gains in power. But you'd need to be very careful with even the external mods, or end up with less hp and/or torque. Like Derrick, I didn't do anything to the engine or breathing on my '88. Instead, I spent money (and not a lot at that) on lighter and wider wheels and track tires, and on brakes and suspension. That didn't provide any more power, but it sure made the car a lot quicker around the track.
Old 02-24-2003 | 11:30 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Derrick,

I think Jim's point is well-taken. Brakes, suspension, wheels and tires.

There's plenty of power there already.

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 02-25-2003 | 02:22 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Pagid Oranges for track days. If you haven't gone to someone who really knows what they're doing with alignment settings, then get that done.

If you're not limited by class rules, you can gain several seconds with wider tires. You can fit 245/275's under Carrera flares. New wheels are expensive, but you'll still get much better 'bang' than you would with any of these incremental horsepower tricks.

Shocks, t-bars, swaybars and bushings can help, too -- but now we're getting even pricier.

You can see what I'm getting at, here. Grip will do you a lot more good on a track than power.
Old 02-25-2003 | 02:08 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

As your question asks about power, I suggest a Mass Air Flow. I just installed one on my 87 Carrera and did dyno tuning and testing with it on Monday. I gained about 28 HP with the MAF (my car dynoed at 210 RWHP - which equals about 247 HP at the crank). Contact me offline if you want more details on this.
Old 02-25-2003 | 09:35 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZCAT -
The number of posts for me clearly betray's my newbie-ness. Mass Air Flow? Would like to find a few more HP out of my 3.0 79SC.
Old 02-26-2003 | 12:12 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hi Slider - unfortunately the MAF upgrade only applies to EFI cars. The real cars to benefit from this are the 84-94 cars. Starting with the 993, Porsche really started to focus on this area (the 20 HP gained from the 94 964 to the 95 993 was attributed mostly to the air intake and exhaust system).
Old 02-26-2003 | 12:20 PM
Douglas_T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good advice! First make sure the car is in top tuned & serviced condition before trying to get more out of pther area's...Sounds basic but some people overlook some of the basic things. Great new high performance tires alone can make your car come alive on the track or on the street! Good luck & happy motoring!

Quick Reply: Biggest bang for the buck - 87 Carrera