Fog Lights Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fog Lights Question

Hello All,
It has been a while since I have posted, but I read every couple of days just to keep learning from the experts. I have to replace an engine in the wife's car, so no big projects for my cars for a while. But here is a quick question for ya'll.
I have an '86 911 and an '87 911. The fog lights on the '86 do not come on with
the parking lights, but do come on with the headlights (when the switch is pulled for them to come on). On the '87, the fog lights will come on with the parking lights or the headlights (when the switch is pulled). So which one is correct? I would think that they would work with the parking or headlights as long as the foglight switch is pulled. Thank you all. I know this won't be the puzzler of the day, but I can guarantee I 'll find something else to screw with when I'm running this one down!
Mark
Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Real
Instructor

Default Foglights

Pingman,

I have an '86 Cab. and the foglights can only be turned on when the headlamps are on as yours does. If you find a way to change this easily...post it up. Best of luck.

Real
Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In the Bentley book it shows the '86 and '87 as the same diagram. It does not show fog lights in the diagram though. so I'm just as puzzled as you.
Most cars they come on with the low beams and off with the high. I would think the '86 is correct, but not suprised if the '87 was done for the cool look of "city lights".
Old 01-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 87 the fog lights will come on w/ either the parking lights or the low beams if that helps.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM
pingman
Advanced

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have some time off next week to check this out. This durn job is getting in the way of my fun, but then I guess in the big picture it is the only way I can afford have fun!
Mark
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

On my '68 it's easy to change around. Just identify the wire going to the fogs and move it on the fuseblock to whatever source of power you'd like (mine were wired when I got it to come on with the high beams--figure that one out!). Of course, the wiring harness is much simpler.

On my 84 they are only on with the low beams, which I believe is standard. I can't imagine it was ever legal in the US to well a car that would be driven with only fog and parking lights. I'd guess Scott's '87 has been tweaked, although I like the idea in concept.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

My 85 Euro 930 has the fogs come on w/the parking lights. I pull the headlight switch out to the first stop, pull out the fog lamp switch and they're on. Thought they'd all work light that. By the way, if do that the low-mounted, rear, red "fog" lamp comes on also.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Finally, after years of posting to the email lists, then years of no activity at all, and finally now back and reading the forums, I can actually contribute an answer:

Here is the wiring sequence for cars that require the headlights to be on before the
fogs will work. These fuse numbers and wire colors are good for 1974
through 1983 911's, I think. The wires mentioned are from the fog lights to the
fuse panel. Fuse numbers are counting from the front of the car towards
the back, and are courtesy of the factory manual:

Red to Fuse #17 Top (Hazard Lights)
Grey to Fuse #6 Bottom (Left Low Beam Headlight)
White/Green Wire to Fuse #1 Top (Fog Lights)
Both White/Yellow Wires to Fuse #1 Bottom (Fog Lights)
White Wire to Ground

To get your foglights to operate with just the parking lights on, move two
wires:

Grey to Fuse #2 Bottom (Fog Relay and Lamp)
White to Fuse #8 Top (High Beams)

Your fogs will now operate with either the parking lights or headlights on,
and they will shut off when you turn on your high beams.

The colors and fuse numbers are different for Carreras, but the principle
is the same and you should be able to figure out which wires to move if you
know which fuse does what.

I posted this to the email lists in February 1999. I'm disappointed no one remembers.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
pingman
Advanced

From Mark to Mark, ( No we ain't the damn funky bunch),
Thanks for the re-post! Several people have been curious about this one. I'll play with mine next week.
Also welcome back and I'm just kind of a newbie and I just wanted to know, WHERE THE HELL YOU BEEN SINCE "99? Don't you realize that the electrical gremlins we don't have with these cars we have to create? Thanks for finally givings us an out to explain this to our wives. Gentlemen from now on we will say "Mark told me to try this, I can"t belive it did'nt work, I' ll call the tow truck". Just funnin'. thanks ya'll
Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The model year 86 cars are supposed to have the fog lights only operational in conjunction with the headlights,--but only when on low beam. This is generally a DOT code requirement by US states. I suspect some owners have done the modification that is spelled out for you, above.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 89 will allow fogs on with just parking lights activated..

...just checked it.

Best,
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM
lpsalsaman
Intermediate

Well I tried Mark S rewiring and my fogs are back are from thier hiatus which had me thinking the fog light switch was bad. I still think is bad but they are working with the headlights or parking lights, which I think is just "by-passed" the fog switch, at least it seems that way. When I was checking, I found the grey wire connected to the "rear fog" fuse on # 7 so I moved it back to # 8 and then connected the other end of the grey to #2. The fogs are working so it is good!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default Fog Lights.

Originally Posted by Real
Pingman,

I have an '86 Cab. and the foglights can only be turned on when the headlamps are on as yours does. If you find a way to change this easily...post it up. Best of luck.

Real
Here you go........

This configuration will wire your foglights independent of any other lights.

Gerry
Attached Images   

Last edited by 1986 Targa; 09-17-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights Question