PPI 83' 911 SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 AM
almarmada
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI 83' 911 SC

Hello everyone,

Not sure what happened to my first post so my apologies if I double posted. I have been a long time reader here over the past 6 months while I looked for "the one." Reading about all of your builds and passion for these cars is inspiring.

I am having a PPI done tomorrow on this 83' 911 SC found here:

http://californiaporsches.com/1983-s...ocolate-brown/

I am aware of the pop off valve issue and the chain tension upgrade. It just had a new clutch (center spring instead of old rubber type) and flywheel. A full battery of pictures and I'm having a PPI done by Ray Steven's Porsche which after looking here on Pelican had a really good reputation. Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Since you didn't mention any specifics in the PPI...head stud check, leak down, battery area inspection (remove battery)....any way of finding out what the oil use has been on the car (miles per quart?) Prior owner?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Lapkritis
Instructor

Beautiful car there... if you do buy then put in an optima battery and have the battery hold-down sand blasted and powder coated so that rust doesn't spread.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 AM
almarmada
Track Day

Mechanic called and said just a cursory overview before they dove in that the AC compressor and whole system had been taken out. That wasn't advertised and he also said the whole car had been resprayed. I was under the impression that just the front fender had been resprayed. I wouldn't think those are necessarily dealbreakers, but a new AC system would probably run around 1500$ right? I'll know more about the mechanicals tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,132 Likes on 810 Posts

i would consider not even bothering with ac . if you do i think it is major work. rennair i thi k tbey are called seem popular
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM
almarmada
Track Day

Ok so the results are in....#5 lower cylinder head bolt broken, missing AC, Pretty much all the oil lines need to be replaced as they are leaking: oil reservoir line, oil crossover line, oil sensor gasket, needs a valve adjust, needs a new alternator belt, both trunk lids need new struts, missing sound proofing pad. What a mess...and when I called the guy he said they all have a broken head bolt or two and he can only come down on the car 1500 bucks. "thank the seller and leave" haha. The more PPI's I do the more depressing it gets...and the more money I spend...although in this case it saved me a 5k top end rebuild. Thanks for all your advice gents.

-Mark
Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

wow i should check my car if they all have broken head studs .....
.. nope .. guess im the only one then...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Nope, two of us Iceman....
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM
packet
Track Day

Originally Posted by almarmada
Ok so the results are in....#5 lower cylinder head bolt broken, missing AC, Pretty much all the oil lines need to be replaced as they are leaking: oil reservoir line, oil crossover line, oil sensor gasket, needs a valve adjust, needs a new alternator belt, both trunk lids need new struts, missing sound proofing pad. What a mess...and when I called the guy he said they all have a broken head bolt or two and he can only come down on the car 1500 bucks. "thank the seller and leave" haha. The more PPI's I do the more depressing it gets...and the more money I spend...although in this case it saved me a 5k top end rebuild. Thanks for all your advice gents.
-Mark
The oil lines aren't such a problem. They're relatively easy to fix.

Head stud though, that's a killer. Just got done rebuilding my engine after a broken head stud. $15k later, I'm back on the road.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

When you. Consider you could buy a car for 15k without broken head stud,shows you just how atached we are to our cars
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM
packet
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
When you. Consider you could buy a car for 15k without broken head stud,shows you just how atached we are to our cars
I thought about it, but $15k buys you another 30 year old car with its own issues. On a 3.0 it's only a matter of time until the head studs break. If it's not this year, it'll be a few years down the road.

$15k on an engine rebuild gets me a brand new engine with brand new seals and everything that has been worn has been machined or replaced. Already had the tranny and brakes done. While the engine was out I also spent a couple grand and did the suspension.

So, now I have a car that mechanically, is brand new. All told I'll have about the price of a new 3 series BMW in to it when it's done. Sure, I can't sell it for that, but between a 2012 BMW 328 or an old 911, I'll take the 911 any day. At any rate, give it 5 years and the 911 will be worth the same as it is today while the BMW will be worth less than the 911.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

dont get me wrong Packet i toally agree with you and would do exactly the same .. wonder how many GM driver would ..

Quick Reply: PPI 83' 911 SC