Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st P Car - On the right train of thought?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:40 PM
kravdog
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st P Car - On the right train of thought?

Hey folks. First of all, I want to thank you for contributing to such a great resource for a newbie such as myself. I recently decided that I am going to allow myself to get the 911 that I have wanted for many years. It will not be my daily driver, but I plan on treating it kind of like I would a motorcycle... drive to work on nice sunny days and take out for rides on weekends.

After consuming Randy Leffingwell's 911 buyers guide, I have determined that I would like a 84-88 911 coupe. I am looking for black/black, silver/black or grey/black. Ideally the car will have around 80-95k miles. AC, sunroof are a must. I desire a car that is reliable/ready to drive enough for this summer, but that will offer me a couple of projects next winter.

With a clean bill of health from a reputable PPI, what price range should I be looking at? I am thinking $17-19k.

Any opinions?
Old 12-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Location, location, location. What part of the country are you shopping? I have been the proud owner of an '88 911 cab for 50 weeks now. I have fallen deaper and deaper in love with her every day. your choice for years is spot on and the price is do-able. Shop for cars priced just out of reach of your target in the $23-25 range and work your way down. I drove 25 cars looking for mine and it was priced $3K higher than I paid. remember that the car is 20+ years old.

I paid $20,000 at 54,000 miles in so cal
Old 12-26-2007, 05:57 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A MUST read is Peter Zimmermanns book "The used 911 story". Read everything you can on these years, I did notice you left out the half year of '89. I have studied these years and found that these cars seem to suit me. I have passed on several so have patience. You will pay a premium for the '87 thru
'89 cars so be prepared.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
kravdog
AutoX

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Location, location, location. What part of the country are you shopping?
I'm in Indianapolis. But, if the car seems right, greenlight PPI, I'm not afraid to fly somewhere to pick up my car. In fact, that seems like a great couple of days off.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

That is a very nice year of car , the Carrera with a G 50 ... you will pay a premium as stated but a very nice car if you can get a good one.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Bob S
Instructor

Someone once said every Porsche is at least a $20,000 car... Beware of bargains they usually aren't. Get a PPI from a reputable shop,it's well worth the investment ( ask me how I know) and a copy of Peter's book and 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911, and your in business. Good Luck
Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Drive a G50 box car and a 915 box as well. I like 915s, but some don't. Lots of cars out there, but find out what you are getting by driving a few.

And join the PCA. Well worth it.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

And if you can get a car by April, we have a de at putnam park in greencastle. Great track to start the slippery slope. Pm me if you need any local help.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I was in your position a few months ago. I recommend you drive a pre-87 with the 915 tranny and an 87-89 with the G50 before you commit. Personally, after driving both I realized I prefered the G50.

I'm not sure why you didn't include 89 models?. Many would argue that the 89 3.2s are the cream of the crop. The 964 models (i.e. 911 C4) were also made in 89. Maybe that's the confusion?

And I echo the recommendation to read Peter Zimmerman's book before you buy. It was a far greater resource to me than the book you mentioned. I read both.

Get a PPI at a garage who really knows these cars. I cannot imagine buying a 911 without a PPI. Would scare me silly.

I also agree that every 3.2 Porsche is a $20,000 car. I paid $16,900 and will have $2500 in parts in no time (doing the majority of the work myself). Don't forget to budget in the $2000 you will spend the same year you buy it.

These cars are great. Get one!
And my final advice: Don't hurry, but don't wait

Last edited by 911vet; 12-27-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:22 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kravdog
I'm in Indianapolis. But, if the car seems right, greenlight PPI, I'm not afraid to fly somewhere to pick up my car. In fact, that seems like a great couple of days off.
My friend dealt with an independant garage outside of Indy called "Farmers" (I think that's the name... maybe one of the Indiana guys can correct me).

They might be a good resource for you as well. And they occasionally know of cars for sale.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
Drive a G50 box car and a 915 box as well. I like 915s, but some don't. Lots of cars out there, but find out what you are getting by driving a few.

And join the PCA. Well worth it.
I agree, preferring the 915 myself. They're lighter by 80 lbs, much less expensive to rebuild than a G50 (both trans WILL need to be rebuilt eventually, and the premium charged for a G50 will easily offset, by far, having to rebuild a 915 perhaps sooner) and are especially rewarding to shift if one is attuned to the nuances of purely mechanical things and takes the time to learn how, which is to say, the 915 is much more a "driver's" trans .

The 915, with its cable operated clutch, has a much more direct and mechanical feel than the G50 which, in comparison, feels somewhat "numb" due to it's hydraulic character and hydraulic clutch. Neither trans is able to be shifted "quicker" than the other.

However, if experience with and feel for manually shifting a trans is somewhat limited, the G50 is the safer trans as it requires no special sensitivity, understanding of its mechanical nature or learning curve.

Since you're use will be occasional recreational, have you considered the lighter, simpler (fewer creature comforts that one MIGHT want for Grand Touring), nimbler SC (essentially the same as a Carrera , but lighter with a motor w/.2 l less displacement, better throttle response CIS injection, and without the "bulletproof" reputation of the 3.0 SC motor)?

All the above is, of course, objective and unbiased, as I understand that there are those who prefer a more refined, softer and gentler Porsche than a raw and visceral SC .

Incidentally, you might check to see if Peter Zimmerman's SC has sold yet. You would NOT need to get a PPI of that car! And, oh yeah, buy his book!

Happy hunting!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
kravdog
AutoX

Thanks for all of the input!

As far as budget is concerned... I certainly will allocate $20-25k for the first 12 months of the vehicle. Do you all think that it would be better to spend more $ upfront (20-23k) or my planned 17-19? What are the differences going to be with the varience in purchase price?

As far as the tranny is concerned... I havent driven a 911 since I was in high school. My friend's father had both a grey market 85 turbo and a 88 cabrio. I drove them both just a couple of times and dont really remember much of a difference (transimission-wise), but I have never forgotten that rush!

Last edited by kravdog; 12-26-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by kravdog
I have never forgotten that rush!
Cool! Just don't "rush" your decision!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:20 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I noticed a few things here.

1) You mentioned AC....from what I have heard, if you want strong AC either get a 944 or spend big $$$ upgrading your stock AC. I am sure the CALI guys will chime in on that point.

2) Mileage. You mention a very specific mileage range, one that is often associated with the point where the car may or may not need a top end rebuild. A higher mileage car that has had it's rebuild done, and other maintenance issues, will always be better than a lower mileage car that has had maintenance deferred or that has maintenance items about to pop up around the corner.

3) You seem to be very specific in your colour combination and that is must be a coupe. That's find. Just be aware that this will really slow down your search. Even if you find the right colour in the right year range the car could end up being a dog. Porsche made the 911 in a lot of different colours, don't be afraid to explore. I originally wanted a black and black coupe. I ended up with the opposite, a white targa with red seats.

Hope that helps. Good luck on the hunt and have fun!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Kravdog~ Welcome. I was a newbie a few months ago (probably still technically am), when I came here to do research on my 911 purchase. Here are some thoughts based on my search:

1. You are in a great spot for information. The people who frequent this board are the best around.
2. You'll find that everyone's favorite transmission is the one on their car (coincidence?, I think not). I've driven my friends '86 with the 915 transmission and, of course, the '89 G50 that I recently purchased. Personally, I think the raw/visceral vs. soft/cushy is a bunch of hooey (no offense intended, Darisc ) I'm certainly no driving expert, but they both feel pretty raw to me. Perhaps I need some new tranny fluid (what kind did you put in Douglas?) to make my G50 really hum. New cars are cushy; 18 to 20 yr. old cars are not. But you don't buy a Porsche for a cushy ride, anyway.
3. You're shopping at a great time of year. I saved at least $4k from what I could sell my car for here in Atlanta in the spring. Most people will be willing to come down on their price while they are staring at their car held captive for the winter.
4. A well-maintained 911 anywhere in your date range will be a joy to drive. Obviously, every year you go back from '88 will make it easier to hit your price range.
5. Good luck. Feel free to send a pm to anyone for more specific advice. I did it A LOT.

Quick Reply: 1st P Car - On the right train of thought?