Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st P Car - On the right train of thought?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:19 PM
kravdog
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old man neri
1) You mentioned AC....from what I have heard, if you want strong AC either get a 944 or spend big $$$ upgrading your stock AC. I am sure the CALI guys will chime in on that point.
How bad is the AC? I am in Indy, not the deep south. Any of you Midwesterners able to provide insight?

I love the look/lines of the coupe. Had considered the Targa and if the Coupe will be too unbearable in the summer heat.

Also, do golf clubs fit anywhere (passenger seat?) in a coupe or targa?

Originally Posted by old man neri
2) Mileage. You mention a very specific mileage range, one that is often associated with the point where the car may or may not need a top end rebuild. A higher mileage car that has had it's rebuild done, and other maintenance issues, will always be better than a lower mileage car that has had maintenance deferred or that has maintenance items about to pop up around the corner.
Ideally, I would like a car that has already had the top end overhaul, or that the PPI comes back that a top end overhaul can be put off until next winter. Does that seem realistic? That was how I envisioned my purchase price b/w $17-19k - a car that has 80k miles, can be driven for a summer, and then will need an overhaul next winter...On base/Off base?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:45 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

All I was saying was don't put too much faith in mileage.

Just start searching for all sorts of cars on places like craigslist, autotrader.com, cars.com I would stay away from ebay because apparently it isn't the easiest to arrange a PPI on the auction system.

Call people up, ask them about their cars, what has been done to it, why are they selling it.....etc. Even if you are no interested in the colour/price/mielage. It will start to give you a good feel for what is a good deal and what is not.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

old man neri.... +1 for White with Lipstick red interior
Old 12-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Bob S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not very car needs a top end rebuild...I've seen cars with 100k that never had a top end rebuild and run great, and others at 50k that need complete rebuilds.. That's why a PPI is important. It's also great to have maintenance records.

My 930 is a four speed and my 911 is a G50, I like both each has it's own feel, but you get used to them and they both are fun to drive... Don't ignore a 915 trans.

You might also look to the PCA for advise and members that at selling cars...

Good luck...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kravdog
How bad is the AC? I am in Indy, not the deep south. Any of you Midwesterners able to provide insight?
The AC in mine is actually decent. It's good enough for the Midwest most of the time. Wouldn't want to live in Texas or Arizona with it.

Even in the cars with a good compressor, be advised that the cockpit blower is another issue. Mine is going bad and I've heard it's not uncommon. I'm actually considering removing the AC to reduce weight anyways. I've got a Cabriolet so I never use it.

I understand your love of the lines of a Coupe. I had the same feeling. But everytime I put the topdown in my car and drive with the other roadsters and cabriolets.... I don't miss those "lines" at all !

On the plus side... these cars put out more than enough heat! You can drive it in Indy in the winter and you will have no problem.

Originally Posted by kravdog
Ideally, I would like a car that has already had the top end overhaul, or that the PPI comes back that a top end overhaul can be put off until next winter. Does that seem realistic? That was how I envisioned my purchase price b/w $17-19k - a car that has 80k miles, can be driven for a summer, and then will need an overhaul next winter...On base/Off base?
I bought mine with 113K miles on it and a good PPI. It's at 116K miles now. No rebuild. No indication I need one. It doesn't leak oil. It burns 1qrt/1000 miles. The "sniffer" said it was good.

Somehow, I don't think you can assume that a car will need a rebuild at any given mileage. There are 911 engines with 200K miles that have never had work done. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part?

When I was searching for my 911, I found quite a few in your area. I test drove a great 89 C4 there. And my friend bought a C4 in Indy. Seems like you're in a good place to find one.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by DARISC
Cool! Just don't "rush" your decision!
+1 ....great advice DARISC,

kravdog,

I was told to look at 10 before you buy 1....good way to get an education. You can accelerate that by hooking up with someone in your area who knows the 3.2 cars really well. Which doesn't necessarily mean someone who happens to own one. $10 says there is an Indy PCA'er willing to help you. Find the 3.2 wizard in the local club and befriend him (or her!).

You'll have a decent amount of cars to choose from as you're willing to travel a bit. 3.2 cars are relatively common and don't be surprised to see a wide range of condition.

Heck, i just went through Indy last summer to get mine in Illinois. Here's my buddy (yep...3.2 wizard) next to my car ('83 SC 3.0) at some gas station in Indy on the way back home...

Enjoy the hunt!

Mike

Last edited by Mike S.; 12-28-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 PM
OhioMark
Instructor

Default PPI

911 Vet:

I also live in the Cleveland area and wonder who you recommend for a
PPI ? I'm interested in a 78-84' coupe or 83'-85' Cabriolet if you happen
to know of any available. Thanks for your help!

Mark

P.S.: Mike : That's a beautiful 911! What's the background on it because
it looks brand new!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 1,094 Posts

If you want good AC, then you should really look at getting a 964 instead. The 3.2's usually only have great AC if the system has been rebuilt ($2,000), or if the system has been upgraded ($3,000).

For those who have 3.2's that the AC actually works - congratulations, you are the lucky few
Old 12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider911
old man neri.... +1 for White with Lipstick red interior

I love red interiors! Show us some pics!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I love red interiors! Show us some pics!

That's it for now, I don't want to highjack this thread. Besides. Murphy has some much better pictures of the interior.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OhioMark
911 Vet:

PPI ? I'm interested in a 78-84' coupe or 83'-85' Cabriolet if you happen
to know of any available. Thanks for your help!

Mark

P.S.: Mike : That's a beautiful 911! What's the background on it because
it looks brand new!
Mark: I bought my car in Atlanta and had the PPI done there. I'll see if any of the local PCA members can recommend someone for you in Cleveland.

Mike and Neri: Oh wow, those are beauties!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
If you want good AC, then you should really look at getting a 964 instead.
I will also encourage you to consider a 964 if you want improved environmental controls and good AC. The 964s may have more complicated systems and therefore more potential for failures, but they are a more modern car for sure.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Mike S.
Pro

911 Vet:

PPI ? !

OhioMark,

If I was in Cleveland, I'd visit Steinel's (Twinsburg) to see if they're interested and the right a place to for 3.2 911 PPI. Or at least get a reference from them if they're not big into 911's. I know they do a lot of race prepped 944/951's.

P.S.: Mike : That's a beautiful 911! What's the background on it because it looks brand new!
Originally Posted by 911vet
Mike and Neri: Oh wow, those are beauties!

Thanks for the compliments. I was quite blessed to find this car. After months and months and months of looking, I came across it in the PCA.org classifieds last Memorial Day almost immediately after it was posted. Enthusiast owned, complete records, meticulously maintained 34K car. Everyone who owned this car was a nut case. I continue the tradition. Originally equipped with spoilers, LSD, sport seats, and an all leather interior. Previous owner upgrades added 7F and 8R Fuchs, H1's, B&B headers w/ 2 out exhaust, slotted rotors, Bilstein sport shocks, upgraded AC compressor. It's a blast. I had a very, very nice '88 944 Turbo S before and this is a very different car in comparison. I like it because it's relatively basic, a bit raw, and has loads of "character." It's got a hint of old school to it which appeals to me.

Best of luck to you in your search.

Mike

P.S. I know of a white 3.2 targa w/ black interior that one of our club members is selling to finance a "special" 356 he bought in early November. I don't know if its a 915 or G50. It is a low milage car IIRC...around 50K miles. I've seen it in person several months ago at a club tech event and it looked very nice. The owner is an hands-on enthusiast and a nice fellow. I have no idea of the price or even if it's still available, but I'll inquire and get you contact info if either of you (OhioMark or kravdog) are interested in this type of body style (targa).
Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Not pushing the 964 issue, but if you need to try one, let me know. Mine never goes on hibernation, so can always be driven if you are in the Bloomington area.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:49 AM
kravdog
AutoX

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Not pushing the 964 issue, but if you need to try one, let me know. Mine never goes on hibernation, so can always be driven if you are in the Bloomington area.
Actually, I'll be in Bloomington tonight for the game...but I dont think the fiance will want to head down early to check out a car! Lol. I appreciate the offer and might take you up on it.

The car has to be a lot of fun out on 46 towards Brown County & 446 going out to the cuaseway!

Quick Reply: 1st P Car - On the right train of thought?