Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Jack it up

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:43 AM
red67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack it up

Something has escaped me up until today.
I havent got a jack in my car, rendering my spare wheel useless!

what's everyone's opinion?
A: Try and track down a period correct jack (i heard bad stories about them slipping)

B: Find a new modern jack.

(if the answer's B: what's the best?)
Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

I carry a factory jack. I will use it in a pinch, like a flat, but if I am doing any kind of actual work, I use a floor jack. I did have a factory jack failure before. I believe it might still be posted here or on Pelican. There are several measures you need to do, if you are going to use the factory style jack, and there are some of the same measures you will have to do if you use any other type. I do not know what experience you have, with jacking up a 911 style vehicle. I don't really care about the weight of a jack in the trunk, so I carry a factory, and also a bottle style, hydraulic type jack, with a jack pad. In my garage/shop, I use a floor type jack. Some people call this type of jack that I use, a "racing style" jack, because it is very light weight, and very low to the ground. I like the low clearance of this type of jack, because our cars are very low, and a "standard type" is sometimes to tall to slide under different areas of the car. I like having a factory jack and spare, it makes the trunk look complete, but I rarely use the factory jack, unless I really have to. There are a lot of good quality jacks on the market, here in the US, but it will be up to the market where you are, to find the one that you prefer. Hopefully this helps, but there is nothing chiseled in stone, about the "best" jack for you. Good luck!!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
73-911E-Targa
Intermediate

Pick up a 944 aluminum jack. Works great on those rare occassions you will need it on the road and it will save you a few pounds.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

I've heard some folks say they've had good luck with a jack they sell at Costco. I'm going to check that out, as I have one near my office. They have good beer prices too . Try the Sam Adams holiday sampler.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 73-911E-Targa
Pick up a 944 aluminum jack. Works great on those rare occassions you will need it on the road and it will save you a few pounds.
- Bingo. The stock 911 Bilstein jack is good for killing and dismembering owners...

Get a used 944 jack on eBay or here or Pelican or any 944 BBS.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
red67
Racer

Thanks fellas.
i tracked down an original period correct jack from a buddy today, and he has the same comments - "I'll give it to you but DONT USE IT!! - IT'S F**KING LETHAL!!!"
(but i'm gonna take it of his hands for a concours look)
and i am also getting this week a usable 944 style jack from a local supplier to prevent my death and damage car if i get a roadside flat!
so i end up getting 2!!

out of interest i scanned this from the original drivers manual - kinda fun to see i think... i thought you might enjoy it too.

thanks again for top advice!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

FWIW: I got a used 911SC/Carerra jack for my wife's '69 912. It fits perfectly in the jack spot (smaller than the scissors 944 jack), and it's a worm-gear type jack that greatly reduces the risk/slippage factor.

Those of you with long-nose 911's ought to look into the later 911 ('74 and later??) jacks. they're small, light, and efficient without the VW slip-jack risks.

BTW: the 'SC/Carerra jack cost me .... NOTHING! Got it from a shop that converts cars to track-cars. They had several "laying around and in the way."

Gotta love it.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:42 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

aren't those still just a single post?

that's what is dangerous
Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

it took me forever to find the correct "green dot" jack for my car .. so now my car looks complete .. and I never leave home without my CAA card.... Do you think I am realy going to try and use that death trap jack to jack up a car with the hope of inflating a collapsed spare that has been collapsed for 30 YEARS .. put it on my car and atempt to drive ?
I think not .. flat bed for me.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:32 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

That is what I hope most everyone would do. After I had the jack failure, I found another period correct green dot replacement jack. It is basically to make the car LOOK complete. I have not used an OEM jack since that one failed. I would also be calling for a roll-back, because I don't think that I could safely trust the factory spare, even though it has never been inflated, just too old to trust.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a blow out on a rural interstate in Michigan a few years ago and put the 25 year old inflatable spare on the right rear. It got me to the next large town (about 60 miles) and to a Goodyear store where I got a tire to fit, (although not a matching high performance tire, it got me back to Pennsylvania) 1st words out of the tire techs mouth when I pulled the car into the service bays was "I aint never seen a Porche before". So I immediatly told the manager that I would set the car on the two post lift and he agreed.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:31 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a honda sissor jack which is nice and compact. I welded a nub on the lift point which coresponds with the hole in the bottom of each suspention arm.

Quick Reply: Jack it up