Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

need instructions on front shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need instructions on front shock replacement

I'm ready to put Bilstein shocks in my OE Boge struts. I'm finding conflicting information on just how to do it on the fronts. Some sources say I must remove the entire strut (i.e. remove wheel hub, brake calipers, disconnect lower strut ball joint, disconnect tie rod end, etc). Some sources say I can compress it without removing the strut.

What's the truth?! Can anyone give me a link to instructions?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:19 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine without removing the brakes.

Do you 101 Projects for your Porsche by Wayne Dempsey? If not, get it.

It is project #63. He lays it out in great detail.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

No problem whatsoever on an '87 without disconecting anything. Search on Pelican for some tips and instructions. A couple come to mind...put some duct tape on the fender lip to protect it. The old Boges will compress by hand fairly easily and allow you to "swing it out from under" and clear the lip for removal. The new Bilsteins will be much harder to compress, so loosen them up a bit beforehand (compressing/decompressing it), and it'll be easier to compress once it's positioned in the strut. That's where the tape protects the lip, as it'll be stiff, and fairly difficult to compress the shock and swing the strut back under the fender lip. Do you have an impact wrench? That's one of the few places I'll use one on the 911...for removing/tightening the bolt at the top of the shock. Not a difficult project at all...good luck!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a post on Pelican: Replacing front shocks

It's not a hard job. If you carefully measure exactly where the top is positioned, you might not mess up your camber too much, but a front alignment should probably be done after.

Ian
Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ian, Thanks. I was not able to find that post when I looked.

His procedure is what I did. You should plan on getting your aligned, lowered (if needed) and corner balanced. The change from Boges to Bilsteins will result in a Paris Dakar Ride height.

FWIW: "Clark Griswald" is really Chuck Moreland (Elephant Racing).
Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you remove the top nut off the shock (using an impact wrench) all you do is compress the shock and the "A" arm pivots out from under the fenderwell. I use old coat hangers to hold the shock/spindle out of the way. Use a large spanner wrench or whatever you have to remove the spanner nut. Remove the shock insert and put the new one in. If there was any oil in the strut make sure you put some back if any spilled out. This helps cool the insert under loads when it gets hot. Assembly is the reverse. I've never had to re-align a front end when doing this and I've done many Porsches in 40 years.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naaaaaah, whatchutalkinbout Willis?

My 84 after Bilstein in Boge + t-bar swap, etc.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spider911
.. snip.. I've never had to re-align a front end when doing this and I've done many Porsches in 40 years.
When I replaced my Boges with Bilsteins, my front ride height increased by about an inch (no torsion bar change). I would think that lowering the car back to spec would screw up the corner balance and alignment.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry D, the question was how to do the shock change. If you are too high when done and you do anything to the suspension, you will have to re-align it and corner balance. Just changing the shocks doesn't require any alignment.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:35 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. I'm relieved to hear I don't have to remove the strut.

So, now the big decision: Bilsteins or Bilstein Sports?!

The rest of the suspension is stock and will likely stay that way for a while. Except I'll be adding a front tower brace and my roll bar is going back in.
Those will stiffen the chasis.

I don't mind sacrificing ride quality for handling. But I don't want to get it "too stiff" since it's a Cabriolet and I understand I might risk stressing the chasis and ripping metal.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 911vet; 12-18-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

A friend and I tried to remove the shocks from his 87. Did everything like 101 Projects says and when we got to the point of pulling the shock out it wouldn't budge. Pulled and pulled and pulled and nothing. It's still in there now...dropping the engine and tranny for a new clutch on my 964 was easier...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Carrera 84: I thought my car was just set low. Now I'm thinking it's because my Boge shocks are shot! Wow, I'm amazed that shocks could lift a car that much. I guess I will be resetting my ride height after the install.

Still trying to decide if I want the Sports. I'm thinking I do.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:20 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911vet
Thanks everyone. I'm relieved to hear I don't have to remove the strut.

So, now the big decision: Bilsteins or Bilstein Sports?!

The rest of the suspension is stock and will likely stay that way for a while. Except I'll be adding a front tower brace and my roll bar is going back in.
Those will stiffen the chasis.

I don't mind sacrificing ride quality for handling. But I don't want to get it "too stiff" since it's a Cabriolet and I understand I might risk stressing the chasis and ripping metal.

Thoughts?
The answer depends on your intended use. I do touring, Autocross and the occasional DE. On Steve Weiner's recommendation, I went with HD fronts and Sport rears.

This was done at the same time I replaced my springplate bushes ,so the car was also lowered, aligned and corner balanced by Rothsport Road and Race (Jeff Gamroth).

So far, so good.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HarryD
I went with HD fronts and Sport rears.
I've been trying to figure this out. Are the Sports or the HDs firmer? I thought the Sports were. So... if that's the case, why do I want the firmer shocks on the rear? Wouldn't that actually increase the oversteer?

Originally Posted by HarryD
The answer depends on your intended use.
I'll be driving very "spiritedly" in very twisty roads. Hope to do DE, no track otherwise. I drive on roads that mimic an autocross event. World class curves.

My last car (BMW Z3) had TC Kline coilovers with 500lb Vogtland/VVS springs and Koni adjustables set on firm. Handled like a go-kart.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

The sports are firmer. The reason guys get away with sports in the rear is because the engine is in the rear and it is therefore " preloaded " with the weight of the engine. I have sports all round , no big deal really.

Quick Reply: need instructions on front shock replacement