need instructions on front shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I've been trying to figure this out. Are the Sports or the HDs firmer? I thought the Sports were. So... if that's the case, why do I want the firmer shocks on the rear? Wouldn't that actually increase the oversteer?

I'll be driving very "spiritedly" in very twisty roads. Hope to do DE, no track otherwise. I drive on roads that mimic an autocross event. World class curves.

My last car (BMW Z3) had TC Kline coilovers with 500lb Vogtland/VVS springs and Koni adjustables set on firm. Handled like a go-kart.

Like Iceman said. Also, the sports are a little more compact so when you lower your car (for better handling), you retain their full travel.

I would sugest you find a local Race shop that sets up Porsches and discuss your plans with them. They can provide some very good advice. If you were here, I would have to chat with Steve/Jeff, they really know these cars.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:02 PM
carnutzzz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
A friend and I tried to remove the shocks from his 87. Did everything like 101 Projects says and when we got to the point of pulling the shock out it wouldn't budge. Pulled and pulled and pulled and nothing. It's still in there now...dropping the engine and tranny for a new clutch on my 964 was easier...

Been there, done that, dropped it at the shop. It took the guy about an hour I think to get the strut out- sometimes they are seized in place and take a lot of pursuasion (of the air chisel variety).

Quick Reply: need instructions on front shock replacement