Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 for weekend and track

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 AM
64_Comet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 for weekend and track

I posted in the general section but that area apparently doesn't get much traffic.

Trying to figure out what to get as a fun, weekend/track car in the near future. I need to finish up my current project (which has taken over the whole garage) a '64 Mercury Comet Caliente 4-dr. Not a full restoration, just getting an old heap back on the road for some V8 hoonage. It was/is a complete basket case, I hope to make it only a partial basket case.

I generally do all my own work so I am not too afraid of any of the problems that a 25-30 year old car might have. Are the Bentley manuals the best? I'm not using a manual for the Comet it is pretty simple, no electronics and if I can't buy a part I am just going to make it.

Daily driver is a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5L Turbo. It has the right engine configuration (boxer) and is fun but definitely NOT a sports car. I am considering either a '77-'83 911 SC or a '84-'89 911 Carrera. I'll have to search some more to see which is the better weekend fun car. Are pistons and headwork to increase CR the most common power mods? Are they even necessary? I haven't driven either of those cars yet so I still have a lot to learn.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Welcome aboard, nice sounding project!

I have an '84 Cab, 1st year for the electronic fuel injection. Nice driver, fun car, but for all-out 'sports' I'd stay away from a Cab. Mine's been on the road course a couple of times prior to the significant suspension upgrades.

I came from a higher-hp (419whp) supercharged DE track car, so I'm a power junkie. I find the power's a little on the low-side for the 3.2L vs. what I'd ideally like for the "gut" feeling, but car-wise is above most people's abilities. The 911's not a jump-in-and-drive track car for many - it's a case of honing your abilities to get to the car's level most of the time. When you do achieve Oneness with the 911, it's amazing though.

The earlier you go, the lighter the chassis, for the most part. I think my Cab's running about 2700 lb right now, full interior, AC completely removed. I have a bolt-in roll bar for mine also, but stock seats & belts. There are some nuances whether you go with the mechanical fuel injection, or the electronic. There are some quirks to either generation.

I've also driven an '83 with a transplanted & tweaked 3.6L in it also - that's very close to what I'd want for my next one, which will be a Coupe. The suspension that car had was full-on track, but driven on the street - it was too much for a street car, and your kidneys let you know it. What I have in my '84 now (see signature) is MUCH better for me anyway in a street car - stiffer, handles very well, but easy enough that you can drive it daily (which I do when the @!^*^*%* ignition switch is working).

FWIW, the previous owner of my 84 had picked up an LGT Wagon right before I got the 911 from him. He tossed me the keys, and for a wagon, what a peppy, fun car the LGTs are. He'd gone upscale on the options, and I think had the exhaust opened up right from the get-go. Nice big tips out back, I liked it.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 AM
LUCKe27
Racer

84, Quick question: Do you have to make emissions? Did your exhaust upgrades affect this?

Kevin
Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 AM
64_Comet
Intermediate

The LGT makes for a perfect commuter/daily driver. Decent power, AWD, enough standard features so you don't mind driving it every day and 23mpg. Power mods are cheap, the 2005s works with open source tuning software so if you can datalog and have proper gaugues for tuning/monitoring you can really open that engine up.

Power in the older 3.0L and 3.2L 911s is a little bit of a concern for me since the LGT has more than enough on tap, but I think that the handling and lightweight should more than make up for it. The LGT weighs in at about 3300lbs. and compared to the specs on the SC coupes I have seen that is about 1200lbs. more.

A tweaked 911 SC might be the project for me, but I have some time to figure it out as I finish my Comet.

I'm definitely looking for coupe or targa, I am not into cabs.

Car will be used more for weekend drives through the Hill Country in TX and probably see a road course once or twice a year.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 AM
64_Comet
Intermediate

Anything older than 24 years old in TX doesn't need a sniffer test. Just a "visual" test. So if I buy in a year I could get a '83 or older without worrying about emissions.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is your budget? Drive a pre 1988 and then the 1988 and feel the difference in the transmission. It then becomes a personal preference as you will find if you do a search.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Sniffer: legally, for another 1.5 years.

The Fabspeed Cat Bypass looks somewhat close to a cat. It's a matter of unscrewing the O2 sensor, 3 bolts to disconnect the muffler & I think 6 more for the pipes going into the cat. Simple swap, and I'm running the reusable copper gaskets.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
64_Comet
Intermediate

High flow cats aren't that expensive anymore either, cuts back on the raw gas smell.

For me, my budget is under $20k. I definitely need to get out and drive some of the cars, just doing some recon work at the moment!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:07 PM
jester911
Drifting

My car is an 86 and I currently am running a Fabspeed premuffler in place of the cat and a Borla sport muffler. The premuffler has the O2 sensor in place and with this setup it has passed emissions for the last five years here in N. Georgia. As for getting more power out of these engines that cost big dollars in most cases.

IMHO the biggest bang for the buck to get more power/displacement is to do a 3.6 engine transplant from a newer car.
Quite honestly though power is the last thing to improve for the track. Unless you have a lot of seat time on track you are better off leaving that part of the car alone.
I have been tracking my car for about 2 years and a stiffer suspension is about the only real improvement in the car I need.
Of course the driver is the main thing to improve.

If your going to the track the earlier cars are lighter as was said above but really the most important thing is getting a mechanically sound car. Make sure to get a PPI done no matter what car you choose.
Good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

every once in a while we see a good SC come and go for only $14,000. That sounds like a great place to start a track car. Then get Fred's suspension and Ed's motor (and my good looks) and you are good to go.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
64_Comet
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips guys.

I definitely plan on upgrading, in this order, driver, tires & brakes, suspension, etc. etc. and finally power. Same approach I am taking for my daily driver. I just upgraded the brakes and tires on the Legacy and it made a HUGE improvement in the overall driveability of the car.

Track won't be too often, mostly just Saturday and Sunday drives out in the Texas Hill Country.

There are a few SCs for sale in Austin going for under $15k at the moment. Not in a position to buy right now but nice to see them under $20,000 and I don't expect them to increase in value at all.

Quick Reply: 911 for weekend and track