Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thank you Rennlist for the help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thank you Rennlist for the help

I want to publicly thank one of my fellow Rennlisters for the generous use of his garage, four post lift, welder, tools, soda, electricity, spray on undercoating, and hospitality.
I got a PM from a guy the next town over looking for a referal to a "good mechanic" and he liked the refered mechanic so much he has signed a $6,000 work order. It's an '86 930 so I guess that kind of money is not out of the norm. (It was probebly hard to say no with a wall of 800HP P-cars in the shop.)
As a thank you for the referal he offered the use of his home shop for the WEVO swaybar mount install I have been puting off. We aranged to get togeather this evening and had the job knocked out in about two hours. Steve W., the WEVO's welded up so well it looked almost as nice as the stock welds. I mocked everything up loose then tightened the drop links and used new bushings and 8.8 rated bolts and lock washers. I used c-clamps ho hold the new mounts until I had a good tack weld. I welded around the entire perimeter on the inboard side and across the bottom on the outer side. I toped it all off with new undercoating.
It looks brand new and drives like a dream. It felt like a brand new car. No roll and not even as much squat. Again, thank you to my anonymous Rennlist friend. My son and I had a blast.
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Doug:

Nicely done!!!

Sure makes a difference when you have all the proper resources,........
Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Steve I must have buged you a couple times on the phone, several E-mails (OK a dozen) and you were there for me every time. i can not repay you for all your help. I will however, remember you when it's bilstein HD time.....
Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Job well done!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rennlisters rock.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:42 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that's what I call a garage. Well done Doug!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I talked to him today and he is looking forward to my next project. What to do? What to do?
Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Re-publish your need-to-do list? Put the correct heat shield over that cat...? C'mon, Douglas, we're counting on you...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice job!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Pete you don't even want to know how bad it looks under there. The list of items that just need to be replaced goes from the flapperboxes and heater duct work to cross over pipe, cat, muffler, all the way to bumper shocks. It even looks like the only hose included in my "all new oil lines" was the "S" tube. Oh well, she's a cute car. I'm looking forward to more projects.

And Pete, We are going to San Luis Obispo in the morning and staying the nite at "Apple Farm Inn" It's my wife's 40th birthday tomarrow. She has lost 47 pounds and I am thinking of letting her sit in the driver's seat tomarrow. I still don't want to let her drive the car, but short of having to buy her a present, I think I'll let her drive for a mile or two once up the coast. thanks for all the advice.

EDIT: The present part was a joke guys, relax...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a GREAT time, let your bride feel what xx mph in a real car is like (from behind the wheel), and just enjoy what is probably a pretty rare get-away!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 12-08-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

We're back. We went about 550 miles. What a fantastic car!!!!! From Rancho Cucamonga we went straight to Oxnard and along the coast to Santa Barbara. We went from there out to Gaviota, Lompoc, Vandenburg AFB, and Guatalupe. Our destination was a $230 room in San Luis Obispo that was supposed to have a hot tub in it. Nope, no tub and I was pissed and had the manager offering me the $400 per night bridal suite at no extra charge. Big tub, canopy bed, view of the old mill out windows on three sides. Just befor we got there it rained and the interior of the car stayed dry. Not a drop inside. It spent the night outside in a regular parking lot for the first time. All That way and a half a tank up, and a half a tank back. On our way home we took a detour out into Solvang. This evening we saw the sun set over the channel Islands and had dinner at a "Joe's Crab Shack" in Ventura. Elayne never did ask to drive. Thanks again guys for all the help on the car. I had to learn all over again how to drive and pay attention with the swaybar back in working order.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I was checking my email yesterday and the owner of this lift had sent me an email. I'll be heading over and putting my car back on the lift after lunch tomarrow. What a cool guy.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

2 hours? I think it took me that long to grind the factory sway bar mounts off before I could even start the welding. Nice work.

Quick Reply: Thank you Rennlist for the help