Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brake pedal assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Brake pedal assembly

I noticed a metal to metal "clunking" type noise the last time I drove my Sc. It felt and sounded like it was coming from the brake pedal assembly area in the cockpit. I understand the assembly has plastic bushings that age and crack over time. I checked to see that I still had brake lights to make sure that switch had not come loose and was the problem. The question has anyone replaced the bushings themselves or is it better to have a younger more flexible tech do it. I remember the last time I repaired the brakes on my airplane some eyars ago and my back reminded me for weeks. Something about as we age our bodies do not like contorted positions any more. Comments appreciated more on the brake issue than my age or back.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,099 Likes on 784 Posts

Actually it is a very easy project. The best part of all is it all comes out as an assembly with a couple of nuts on the inside and a couple underneath and you redo the bushings on your work bench. The Bentley may help but it is pretty intuitive. A bar with a couple of clips goes up to the brake master you undo, the clutch is a clevis pin which is quite explanatory when you see it , the throttle is a cable, you undo those and there are two nuts underneath the car.that hold the assmebly in place. Also two from the inside. it has been a while but i think you have to take the "skid plate" underneath off which is a bit of a pain.

Once it's out you just rebuild it with hand tools. The clutch spring on the assembly can be tricky , just be arefull. it can act like a bear trap. You also have to drive out a pin but most bushing kits you buy will have a new pin. I replaced mine with bronze bushings about 3 years ago and no issues so far. Gave me a chance to clean up the area too.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm getting so that I don't remember these projects very well anymore, even though I'm not yet 40.

Look at it this way...the older you get, the faster you forget how much of a pain in the butt, or back they were.

The one thing I do remember was how much of a pain it was to drive out the rollpin on one of the pedals. I wanna say it was the clutch pedal, but not sure. I agree...get the whole assembly out and work on it on the work bench.

Order the bronze bushings and all of the springs and stuff. Do it right and do it once. Also it might be easier to take out the driver's seat to give yourself more room and less contortions.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal assembly