Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

127K Servicing Do I have everything I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 127K Servicing Do I have everything I need?

So my 120K service was done at 118K and my distributor cap is burned out so I figure I want to do the whole 9 yards with the pelican parts tune up kit.

Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Drain plug gasket + 12 qt Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil
Spark plugs
Distributor Cap
Distributor Rotor

Any special tools I need? Do I really need the spark plug gapping tool and the spark plug flexible socket they have on pelican?

Thanks, Oshin

Oh also I thought I had a limited slip differential so I bought the Delvac Transmission Gear Oil for limited slip diff. cars, but my option code says "220 Locking Differential" so is my car limited slip or not? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might want to check your spark plug leads too
Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Leads? do you mean ignition wires? I'm guessing not. Sorry I am an ignition newbie, I only know the basics. Please be more specific if you can.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep ignition wires

the beru ones are expensive but will last for years

magnecors are pretty good too
Old 12-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

oh I should be fine with that right now, I plan on changing them when I do an engine rebuild.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 AM
joey c
Pro

did i see your car for sale? have you decided to keep it?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I didn't need the flexible socket thingy. I just used a regular spark plug socket and a small extension. It's a blind process though.

You will most likely need two crush washers for the transmission if you are changing the oil in there. They should be the same size as for the oil drain plugs. Do you have the right size allen key/socket for that?

Other things to consider. How are your wipers, do you need any bulbs (instruments maybe) for anything, do you have a spare DME relay, do you have a spare belt, just general stuff outside of the engine.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:41 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Hmm can I get crush washers at a hardware store like OSH? I think I have an allen for that, if not ill buy it. Wipers are fine, barely rains here anyhow, 3 days last year. I just replaced every fuse in my car, got a spare DME, changed 6 light bulbs, a seat belt cover, and a spare belt. I just get bored and fix everything

Old Man Neri: Yea if a buyer comes along and makes a good offer I'll sell it, but that doesn't mean I am going to stop driving it and keeping it maintained in top shape. I take care of it as if I am going to keep it, which very well may be the case.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Looked in documentation to see when those beru plug wires were put in and I cant find it in my records. The rubber on it is cracked and old but the wires seem fine. I am going to replace them with magnacores just for my sake Also changing the backdated heater to just a block off plate. If anyone wants the backdater tube for the left side I'll sell it for 75.00 USD. I've only had it in there for maybe 1.5 months so its new.

Also the fuel filter has the numbers 119,000 on it so I think it was supposed to be changed 8000 miles ago!!!!! Holy cow. Changing that ASAP. Tranny oil was done at 94K with clutch so I'll do that too. This is turning into a hefty major service $$$$. I think it is totalling about 400 dollars in parts with the block off plate for the heating. I dont feel bad one bit as my mechanic quoted 1300+ dollars

Last edited by Oshin11; 12-05-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:22 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Ya, I wouldn't worry about a fuel filter that has an extra 8000 miles on it. That's nothing. In some cars there is no recommended fuel filter change interval.

As for getting those washers at the hardware store, well that might be a bit tricky, they are metric and odd sized. Just get them from pelican like the rest of your stuff. Or one of the other online places that sells stuff.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM
drew3007
Track Day

If the ignition wires look old and cracked, you might as well change them. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of wrenching experience though. I don't mean to be condescending but this isn't a Honda Civic. There are a lot things that should be done that you will need serious tools for. Were the valves adjusted last time? If you have the valve covers off then the valves should be adjusted and that is more easy to mess up than get right. If they were then you should not need to replace valve cover gaskets. If it is leaking from the valve covers then your covers are warped and you will need a belt sander to maker then flat again and that should have been done last time it was serviced.

If what you say is true about the fuel filter, that was supposed to be done at 120k (60k service) and I would question the shop that did that service about it. I really can't stress how important it is to take a Porsche into a good independent shop that really knows Porsches. I am a Porsche mechanic and so is my father and I can't tell you how many times we get a car in that has funky things going on with it right after someone decided to do it him/herself or took it to jiffy lube.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but don't you need crusch washers for the two drain plugs (besides the tranny drain)?

Jon
Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
drew3007
Track Day

Yes, you need a crush washer for both the engine and the sump tank, but it was mentioned earlier.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by jebia
Maybe I missed it in the thread, but don't you need crusch washers for the two drain plugs (besides the tranny drain)?

Jon
Yes, however when you order a valve cover gasket kit from pelican it comes with two of them, along with all the washers and nuts.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
Yes, however when you order a valve cover gasket kit from pelican it comes with two of them, along with all the washers and nuts.
I have never used what you call a "crush washer" when changing my oil or tranny gear oil. I even talked to people at pelican parts and they agreed with me.

Maybe you just mean a seal ring, the ones that you get with an oil change kit, but I am guessing thats not what you mean.

Quick Reply: 127K Servicing Do I have everything I need?