Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Helmet for DE's

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Don Ivey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet for DE's

I ride motorcycles, and need a new helmet, but thought I could kill two birds with one stone, so want a MC helmet that can double for DE's. I typically buy Arai helmets, and wondered if any of their newer offerings would be acceptable at a DE. This is my first post, so be gentle

Don Ivey
'87 Coupe
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 AM
jester911
Drifting

Don, most DE organizers require a SA2000 or SA2005 rated helmet. This helmet can be used for a motorcycle.
Most motorcycle helmets have only a DOT rating and will not pass at most DEs. Your best bet before buying a helmet is to pick the group you plan to DE with and see exactly what their requirements are.
The main difference in the two helmets is in the padding inside the SA helmet is fire retardant.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ditto Jerry's post. Obviously with MC use in mind, you'll probably want a closed-face, but I picked up an open-face Simpson LX last time for short money... SA2000 obviously.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Wow, I didn't know that you could use the same helmet on the MC as the DE. I was told by many that these two helmets are different. The story I received was that a MC helmet is designed for a one-time big-hit, whereas the DE helmets are designed for multiple impacts. The story continues that a MC helmet might not be SA2000 or SA2005, which is a requirement for DE.

But I guess if you buy a good DE helmet that fills the requirements of the DE, then it could be used on the MC, especially if the DE helmet is arguably better. In fact, you'd think that most MC helmets would already be SA2000 or SA2005, but I think most are not.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
In fact, you'd think that most MC helmets would already be SA2000 or SA2005, but I think most are not.

Different requirements for different uses. Plus different rating entities. Motorcycles for the street are required to have a DOT rating. The SA is a Snell rating by the Snell Foundation which is nonprofit.

Normally a Snell rated helmet would meet or exceed the DOT requirements.

Here is an interesting article to read on the subject.

http://usff.com/hldl/hoax/0597snellvdot.html

One more site to visit.
http://www.smf.org/
Old 12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Boca Porsche
Advanced

Whre is the best place to purchase a helmut for DE? Also how much are they?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:09 PM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boca Porsche
Whre is the best place to purchase a helmut for DE? Also how much are they?
Helmets are really an item that you need to try on before you buy. Proper fit is very important or it will not do its job. Finding a shop shouldn't be that hard if you live near any race tracks as there will usually be race shops at or near those tracks. Cost depends on the helmet. I have heard the question" How much is your head worth?". An open face can be had for around $150 or so but you really should consider a full face helmet for safety reasons.

Checking with your track organizer on their requirements are a good idea for that as well.
Full face helmets can be had for around $200 and go up from there.

Last edited by jester911; 12-04-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Lots of places on the 'Net to buy helmets from. Remember though, helmets are a very individual thing. Even though they all have the same function, they are very different in fit, size of the "eye hole," ventilation, restraints and padding. Its really best to go to an event that has a racer's supplier trailer or someplace like "Helmet City" in order to try on and check out as many as you can before making a selection. I personally prefer Simpson. Doesn't mean you will.

A final though for the other question, "how much do they cost?" I always responded to my SCCA pupils with, "How much is your brain worth?" Buy the best helmet you can afford. The one place in auto racing not to scimp on is safety gear. You may never need it. But the one time you do you'll wish you had the latest state of the art everything.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
irie1029
Advanced

I would go to ocracing.com they let you rent and apply it toward a purchase. That way you know you are comfortable with fit and not waste $200 if DE is not your idea of fun. (i can't imagine you not lovin it)
Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

In order to fit my wife's helmet, we went to the local Kawasaki place, where they have racks of helmets, etc. She found a style & size she liked, then we were able to buy an SA helmet for her online that was similar. Fit was a-ok.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
SvenS
Cruisin'

Don,

The key word here is fire retardant. Using a MC helmet in a car is not a good idea. If there is a fire, and you and your helmet are in there, you will bond in a very unpleasant way...

Cheeers!
Sven
Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Boca Porsche
Advanced

Thanks Sven!

That gives me a visual I would rather not have. However, I do understand and I have no intention of gettng a MC helmet. I will start my search and try some this weekend.

Thanks for the imput,

KEN
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Don Ivey
AutoX

Sounds like I definitely need to plan on separate helmets for cars and motorcycles. The idea of becoming one with my helmet is not very satisfying. Thanks to everyone for the good info.

Don Ivey
'87 Coupe
Old 12-06-2007, 02:06 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a long time biker and car racer, my understanding is that the only difference between a M2005 and an SA2005 helmet is that the liner is fireproof in the SA. Impact-wise, there is no difference.

That said, I wear Schuberth on bikes and Bells in race cars (SVRA).

Steve
84 911
00 356C race
Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Craig T.
Racer

You should also consider the weight of a helmet. I feel a lot more neck strain in a race car than I do on a bike. On a bike your body leans into a turn a lot more when cornering, offsetting some of the side forces. Strapped in a car, on a tight track, your head gets thrown form side to side a lot more violently. The helmet weight matters.

Generally speaking, expensive helmets are not safer, just lighter. srf506 has a good point "How much is your brain worth?" Buy the best helmet you can afford”. Consider your neck as well and get the lightest helmet you can afford. http://www.stand21.fr/casques/F21/F21-2.html

Quick Reply: Helmet for DE's