Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wow, I don't get people sometimes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea now that I know my car is mechanically really sound and has no real flaws via the PPI, I may want the full asking price
Old 11-29-2007, 04:51 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Should I stop looking for yellow SC?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider it a warning. Mention it to the next buyer if you think it an issue. Or, have the heat tubes re-installed. A back dated heater isn't a draw to someone new to the fold. Sometimes a buyer wants "new" car regardless of knowing the car in question is 20 years old. They want everything to work and be in place. They don't want to feel they need to fix something right away, especially if they are check-book mechanics. Did he try to get you to lower your price or simply walk away. Welcome to used car selling
Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, buyers almost never feel obliged to be completely honest with sellers. It sounds like that guy had an inner conflict that he couldn't quite identify yet. Maybe the back-dated heater tube triggered a memory of a previous purchase he regretted for some other ridiculous reason. It's not your fault if somebody has issues about making decisions.

Set your price and relax because all of the drama is their problem.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts
Smile

Oshin

Yeah, the guys a tool for wasting your time. He was clearly looking for a reason not to buy your car and found it. Why? Who knows. If it wasn't the heater blower it would have been something else. Be patient. Good things come blah blah blah..................
Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

Hey put it this way , he is not obliged in any way to give you a copy of the PPI. It is his property he payed for , all he has to do is use the information to his advantage. You just got a 300 dollar PPi out of the deal . Now you can sell it 'PPi complete and available for viewing " :-)
Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oshin11
....in 3 days he'll come crawling back and I'll probably say no, then he'll really be pissed haha.

I would definitely say no to the guy if he comes back. Seriously. I would also say thanks for the free PPI. I would have no problem telling him that if he came back. I love being an *******.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:25 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Oshin, I'd tell the guy that there is another buyer who is interested...("interested" doesn't have to be defined, so it's not a lie. Gosh, your car looks like mine but nicer...consider me as such a possibly interested party), and last time you dealt with him, he really seemed to have misgivings, got cold feet. In view of that, "I'm really reluctant to waste your time or mine about something neither of us think you're sure about..."

At least $1k, and definitely make him beg for it.

;-)

Brent
Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

Been reading this with some interest and I believe it is really a non issue.
As a seller you are emotionally attached to your vehicle. The buyer is not.
If the buyer after the whole process still does not feel comfortable with the sale, he backs out. Why set himself up to 'Buyers remorse' after parting with his well earned money?

While this took a certain amount of your time to accomodate the whole process you did gain a $300 PPI report.

In the last month I also had a PPI done on a car I was interested in 4000 miles away. After PPI was done, I backed out. Mind you there was lots wrong with the car and it was just not worth it for me.
But my point is, the whole thing did take up lots of my time too: I took time off work to be available for any phone calls on the PPI date. I had a flatbed arranged to pick up the car etc. In the end I was out $600 not including my day lossed at work.

Like it or not, when you are selling something, buyer is always right, as it's his/her money that's on the line. You can just hope he treats you with the same respect as you offer him. In my case I didn't even offer my PPI report to the seller as he showed no interest in finding out details.

I have a new PPI scheduled in a few weeks. Current seller is very pleasant to work with and I can only hope he feels likewise.

Better luck next time for both of us.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KrisKringle
Been reading this with some interest and I believe it is really a non issue.
As a seller you are emotionally attached to your vehicle. The buyer is not.
If the buyer after the whole process still does not feel comfortable with the sale, he backs out. Why set himself up to 'Buyers remorse' after parting with his well earned money?

While this took a certain amount of your time to accomodate the whole process you did gain a $300 PPI report.

In the last month I also had a PPI done on a car I was interested in 4000 miles away. After PPI was done, I backed out. Mind you there was lots wrong with the car and it was just not worth it for me.
But my point is, the whole thing did take up lots of my time too: I took time off work to be available for any phone calls on the PPI date. I had a flatbed arranged to pick up the car etc. In the end I was out $600 not including my day lossed at work.

Like it or not, when you are selling something, buyer is always right, as it's his/her money that's on the line. You can just hope he treats you with the same respect as you offer him. In my case I didn't even offer my PPI report to the seller as he showed no interest in finding out details.

I have a new PPI scheduled in a few weeks. Current seller is very pleasant to work with and I can only hope he feels likewise.

Better luck next time for both of us.
I'm not sure you understand Kris, when the buyer first called I told him I wasn't actively selling but he could come buy. He wanted to give me cash on the spot but decided to go home to do a wire transfer. The only reason I was going to sell was because he made it seem like it was going to be easy and quick. THEN he asks for a PPI and insists its only to make sure the car wont "blow up". THEN he just makes up some bull**** about a heater motor, which is NOT being respectful. I can take the truth, but I hate bull****. I didn't gain much from the PPI, I don't need the Porsche dealer to tell me my car is healthy I work on it enough myself to know it is. The only reason I got the PPI report was not because of the seller, but rather the carefree attitude of people in Santa Barbara. The dealer just made a photocopy and said "whatever your Porsche is sweet, and there were no problems so its not like this helps you in any way".

Sucks about your PPI I was lucky enough that the car I own was the 2nd Porsche I ever drove, and the first one I got a PPI on. Now if only I can find a real reason to drop the engine out other than powdercoating a bunch of stuff
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the pain in the a$$ buyer. Agree that selling anything used to people takes time and can bring issues.

My only thought is you may be glad this guy backed out. I imagine if he bought the car you would be getting all sorts of calls saying I just found this wrong or this just broke etc... asking for your help. You almost have to try to prequalify a buyer. This doesn't sound like an informed buyer at all.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

It's ok, I have a few grand in the bank, and by new years I'll have enough to either 1. pay of the car or 2. put in new bilsteins, drop the engine, new clutch, rebuild whatever i want, powdercoat the hell out of everything, redo the interior even though its pretty damn nice, etc... Probably better to pay off the car though
Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Yeah, sometime buying and selling is tough most of the time. I was selling a brand new house and the buyer played games throughout the entire 2-month process (it didn't have to take 2 months either). Then, at the closing table, he said, "if you don't give me another 2% off the price I can't afford to buy it." This was a month after all the negotiations of price, but two weeks after all the punch list items were completed. I wanted to smack the guy and tell him to "get the hell out of here," but just said, "sorry, I can't afford it either."

It's all just a game, and unfortunately, the game gets harder when there is a lot of supply out there. If you had 18 people knocking down your door, this would be a non-issue. I was trying to sell a house in 2006 where the market was also slow.

P-car selling is slow and steady it seems. One guy called me up and just wanted to drive the car. He said he didn't want to buy it, but wanted to drive it. How funny. I let him and educated him as much as I could for good Karma. But buyers are pains in the asses most of the time.

Final story, when I went to GOG (Good Old Gold in New York - best place to buy diamonds), I didn't play any games about money. I wasn't a pain in the *** and when I finally selected my diamond for engagement, I asked if I could get a discount. The store owner, Jonathan said, "Look, you were a pleasure to deal with and not a big pain in the ***, so I am happy to give you a discount." It took about 3 minutes and we were both happy about the deal.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
..Probably better to pay off the car though...
You might even be happier . You'll get the actual title in the mail and it's yours.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate tire kickers.

Quick Reply: Wow, I don't get people sometimes!!!