Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thank mother nature for Florida!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank mother nature for Florida!

Just got back from a very nicely paced and at sometimes very spirited drive.
I do not know how you guys/gals up North do it. I cant imagine putting the 911 up for the winter. Dont mean to rub it in your faces, just do not think I could do it.

Happy motoring.

Michael
Old 11-24-2007, 05:41 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know, yesterday there was tons of snow in my neighbouhood and no salt. I went driving in it, loads of fun. It is surprisingly easy to do a u-turn in snow.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its tuff living here! I put the top up yesterday for the first time since March but it was back down today
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Ya, I got caught in a surprise snow storm visiting my parents, this was the result.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time winter rolls around, so does the 'look at me' attitude from the south. Just think about June - Sept guys, when it is so hot & humid that humans have been known to melt in their older Porsches if they dare drive it during the day. And then there's the straight roads. And the absolutely oppressive traffic. On every road. Snowbirds. Soccer moms. A kabillion white vans & duallies. Need I go on?

Ian
Old 11-24-2007, 08:44 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by imcarthur
Every time winter rolls around, so does the 'look at me' attitude from the south. Just think about June - Sept guys, when it is so hot & humid that humans have been known to melt in their older Porsches if they dare drive it during the day. And then there's the straight roads. And the absolutely oppressive traffic. On every road. Snowbirds. Soccer moms. A kabillion white vans & duallies. Need I go on?

Ian
Well said.......Never had a hurricane up here either.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

What's worse than being without your car for 6 months is that I have only had my car for like a month. I might have put 150 Miles on it since i got it and now it is sitting in my garage winterized just waiting for the cover I ordered today. What keeps me going are the plans I have for the car over the winter. I plan to install a short shift kit as well as fix the usual headlight switch malfuntion issue. The only thing I can tell you is that we really appreciate driving our cars during the short summer months.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:42 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I've lived all over and there is definitely good and bad things about everywhere.

I do maintenance in my garage in the summertime while you guys are driving -

Ian - you need to get a little north of tampa = ocala area - lost of nice roads there (curved and elevation - woo woo)

Sure we have hurricanes - but we have nice weather in the winter too.

Today I caught a redfish off my dock - in shorts and a t-shirt.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Can't imagine a place much nicer than where I am. And there are other things in life than just Porsches (gasp!!). I have a lot of fun in every season.

Can't say I have one iota of jealousy for those living in Florida. And I doubt they are jealous of me. That's cool.... cause I'd like to keep my well-kept secret with the world's greatest curvy roads and awesome convertible weather
Old 11-25-2007, 09:01 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911vet
Can't imagine a place much nicer than where I am. And there are other things in life than just Porsches (gasp!!). I have a lot of fun in every season.

Can't say I have one iota of jealousy for those living in Florida. And I doubt they are jealous of me. That's cool.... cause I'd like to keep my well-kept secret with the world's greatest curvy roads and awesome convertible weather
Shannon, I have to agree, some of the best roads I've been on around you! And in the Fall, absolutely beautiful - I try to make a run to the river once a year. Although my dream is to have Ohio seasons and geography with a dock in my back yard leading to a small center console ready to fish or dive.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

The cold keeps the poisonous spiders, lizards, mudslides, hurricanes, snowbirds, and other nasties down to a minimum. I'll take it.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 AM
dsmith
Racer

I moved from OH to TX 10 yrs ago to have year round motorsports and to drive the cars I love year round. It's a compromise that's right for me. I really hated crawling along the freeway in snow with rwd and having the backend of the car slowly slide to the inside lane on banking when I would try to accelerate. Funny, also, is I've almost forgotten what rust looks like on a car!

I did a roadrace last weekend in shorts/tshirt.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:06 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jonh
Shannon, I have to agree, some of the best roads I've been on around you! And in the Fall, absolutely beautiful - I try to make a run to the river once a year. Although my dream is to have Ohio seasons and geography with a dock in my back yard leading to a small center console ready to fish or dive.
Jon, we have world-class twisties here. I led a couple of drives in this area and it is a blast. You are right, the autumn in Hocking Hills is awesome. Maybe not quite up to the standards of New England, but darn close.

We'll have to hook up and do some drives.

Now, about that dock in your back yard. Can't help you there. My back door leads to a rock cliff.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
dsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by 911vet
Jon, we have world-class twisties here. I led a couple of drives in this area and it is a blast. You are right, the autumn in Hocking Hills is awesome. Maybe not quite up to the standards of New England, but darn close.
I lived in Columbus for 5 yrs, and did some driving there. Don't forget the old Sunriser Rally.

Hocking Hills is also the home of many Car and Driver road tests.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cstreit
The cold keeps the poisonous spiders, lizards, mudslides, hurricanes, snowbirds, and other nasties down to a minimum. I'll take it.
I used to do a lot of drives in Texas. Everytime I was there, the locals reminded me to watch where I was walking so I wouldn't step on a rattlesnake. Had a few scorpions in the house where I was staying. Black widow spider in the bathroom last trip down. I guess you're right... thank goodness for cold winters!

But I have to admit, I start to get tired of winter in Feb-March and it sure was nice going down to TX to warm up And there were great car enthusiasts. Y'all just need to twist up your roads a bit more! (hill country excepted, there are some good curves 'round there).

Quick Reply: Thank mother nature for Florida!