Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil Sump plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts
Default oil Sump plate

I PMed Pete a question earlier with a question about the sump plate and thought i would post here for all to share. My post was about the studs coming out when I took the nuts off of the sump plate. i also thought I had on the wrong washers but Pete mentioned they were wavy washers and also sugested adding a flat with some blue loctite for the studs.

Update.
I have everything off and noticed the screen is kind of bonded right to the sump plate. i thought they were suppose to be seperate pieces with a gasket in between. Maybe they are but with 30 years of being presssed on they have become one. Question . Should I leave it this way ? I guess forcing them apart only to put another gasket in seams pointless and **** retentive given it is obviously not leaking. should I just slip another gasket on the plate and throw her back in ?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ice: Definitely split the screen from the plate. Use a single-edged razor blade, slide it between the two parts, then work it around until the two parts seperate. I've seen them so fused together it took the better part of a half hour to do - just don't cut off a finger!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

oh great !!!!! ... and I was gonna just leave it and move on .... now you've gone and done it .. :-)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

update .
Wasn't to bad with that advice Pete , thanks I remembered I had an exacto knife with a square type blade on it. I gently worked it around and the gasket came off. it was definitely glued in place with something so I used some steel wool to get the residue off and washed it thoroughly. I now see what you mean by the depresions where the nuts go. I will have to straighten that out before reassembly. I just need to touch up the sump plate ........ now what did I do with that bright orange paint ... :-)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

ORANGE! Orange, you say? That'll go good with the blue trans mount - the bottom of your car is going to look like a college football uniform!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Okay all done ...
I got new wavy washers and flats and 8 nuts , all in dichromate .. very nice .. and yes I painted my sump plate black. I did have to replace one stud, I couldn't fix her up , looks like something hit it and damaged the threads.
interesting side note the screen had tonnes of debris in it,not loose , but allmost stuff like hard plastic chunks on it , I had to scrape it off with a fingernail.

All is good now and no leaks.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Uh, oh!!! Do you have records that show that your chain guides have been replaced somewhere along the way? Can you photograph the debris?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

My engine has been redone as there is evidence of the case being split on top of the PO telling me so , but no documented proof.
The stuff was stuck to the grill. Not sure I can tell you what it is or what it looks like., it is kind of a rough texture .. it doesn't photograph well but here is what i have ..

Pete if it doesn't show well I can email you a high res pic that shows it really good.

Thanks

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

If I have to pull the engine to look at the chain ramps so be it , but what a pain since i just put oil in it .. grr..
Old 11-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
If I have to pull the engine to look at the chain ramps so be it , but what a pain since i just put oil in it .. grr..
You don't have to pull the engine to look at the ramps. You have to remove muffler, rear engine sheet metal, and then support rear of engine and undo and remove engine mounting cross bar. This will give you full access to chain housings. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Chrys norw that you mention it I have done tha before to clean back there. I do have leaking o rings between the chain boxes and the CAm towers so I would need to retime the cams to do that. and if I was checking the chain ramps I may as well go the full monty. I have heard of guys retiming cams in the car , but if I go that route I wil drop the engine and take my time. I am actually thinking if I do, I might seperate the transmision and see if I can hire two " real men " to put carry staps on and carry my engine into the basement. Put it on an engine stand and take my time .. not exactly a Ed "smithsonian museum rebuild" but just clean her up..... or I may just leave it and check again next oil change.

Quick Reply: oil Sump plate