Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What about eliminating harness bar on roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What about eliminating harness bar on roll bar?

My Cabriolet handles significanly better when the DAS roll bar is installed. However, I'm concerned about the risk of spinal injury in a rear-end collision.

Apparently, the seats can break loose and slam backwards into the bar. Spinal injury/death can result.

The obvious solution is hardback race seats and a seat brace. That probably isn't a practical solution for me. I talked to the local body shop and they can cut the harness bar off the roll cage and weld a new bar in a lower position. I'm considering this if I can still slide my seats back.

Any thoughts on this potential modification?

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by 911vet; 11-11-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:19 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, BK sells a back brace for the factory seat. Do you drive the car at the track (i.e. do you mount harnesses to the harness bar)?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:15 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sjanes
FWIW, BK sells a back brace for the factory seat. Do you drive the car at the track (i.e. do you mount harnesses to the harness bar)?
I have seen the braces for sale. They don't look very substantial. Have you seen them in use? Opinion on them? I was thinking of having one made, but mounting it could be a challenge.

I considered buying race seats but the money and lack of comfort seems prohibitive. Also, I'm afraid even they wouldn't be protective (based on what I was told on other forums).

I don't track. I do want to go to DE school which is why I bought the bar. But it stiffened up the car so much I would like to use it on the street too.

I don't use a harness. I'm not opposed to them but you have to have race seats to use them (as of next year, PCA won't allow harnesses with stock seats).
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 AM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet

I considered buying race seats but the money and lack of comfort seems prohibitive. Also, I'm afraid even they wouldn't be protective (based on what I was told on other forums).
You would be very surprised how comfortable race seats can be. In all honesty comfort on the race track is even more important than the street. Anyway as was suggested you can go to a backbrace. You can actually get this done at a good race shop that does welding and it probably won't cost that much.

Also you can install a padding on the entire roll bar. Make sure you use a BSCI padding. It is a much denser padding so don't use the cheap foam stuff.

If your planning on doing DEs you may end up with race seats anyway. It is a slippery slope.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 AM
MDL
Racer

After installing the Momo seats that came with the car, I was suprized how comfortable they are. I switched back to the stock seats because I was taking a long day trip in the car. I hated the way the car felt with the stock seats, you spend your time trying to stay IN the seat. I promptly went back to the Momo's. I want the car to feel the same everytime I drive it and switching seats won't allow that.

Dan.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Default Seat suggestions?

OK, I think I'm getting sold on the aftermarket seats.

I drive "spiritedly" on the very twisty roads where I live. So I do like a seat that holds me in place. However, I think I want ajustable seats (i.e. reclining and mount to the floor) for comfort for me and any passenger.

I don't track. I do want to do DE.

Suggestions?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM
jester911
Drifting

Recaro SRD seats are one option. They are reclining and can be had with sub belt hole.
If you decide to go to racing type seats you need to do your homework or you may end up with seats you can't use. Keep in mind that with a roll bar the seat will not recline much. Also keep in mind the rules of the club your DE is run in. You want to also sit in the seats your planning to buy before purchase because they are far from one size fits all. If you are planning to use harnesses then you need to think ahead on how your belts will attach and how your seats will attach as well.

I went through this process last year and it took several months of planning before I bought the first thing. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jester911
Recaro SRD seats are one option. They are reclining and can be had with sub belt hole.
I saw those and they do look interesting. The price is right.

I need to find a way to try some out before I buy. Gotta make sure they aren't going to sit too low. I had to install a seat elevation kit (1" stock aluminum from Lowes). I didn't need the full 1" so even if the Recaros sit lower than stock, I may be ok.

I'm only 5'3" and good road visualization was an issue before the seat elevation. And, if you're wondering about my height... I'm a woman. But I will attempt to be reasonable despite the fact that I'm not an inanimate object.

Originally Posted by jester911
Unlike a woman, a racecar is an inanimate object. Therefore it must eventually respond to reason.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
dsmith
Racer

Remember how much your body will move in a rear collision. Most likely, if you are held in by just the stock belt, your head will collide with the roll bar in a rear impact. Best to remove it, custom make something for chassis stiffness, or go with a race seat and full harness all the time.

David
Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dsmith
Remember how much your body will move in a rear collision. Most likely, if you are held in by just the stock belt, your head will collide with the roll bar in a rear impact. Best to remove it, custom make something for chassis stiffness, or go with a race seat and full harness all the time.

David
That's the advice I've been getting. So I think the only way I'm going to drive with it in is with hardback seats, harness, and seat braces.

I was considering having something made to stiffen the body. The roll bar bolts on at the seat belt anchor bolts and at the rear seat bolts. So.... I was thinking if I had two bars made that went across the car at these points, it would act very much like the roll bar without being a risk in a collision.

In other words: 1 bar across the rear floor connecting the right and left belt bolts. And 1 bar across the rear seats connecting the right and left seat bolts.
The two bars could be connected in the middle with a perpendicular bar sloping up between the seats.

Has anyone done anything similar? Or have other solutions?

The car handles well without the roll bar. But it is significantly better with it in. The difference is immediately noticeable. I hate giving it up. But race seats, harnesses, and seat braces are starting to add up to a price beyond my means I think.

Quick Reply: What about eliminating harness bar on roll bar?