Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Does this sound fishy to anyone on the board? I want to be sure ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
THIS IS A SCAM!! I had a friend who had the same offer made to her. We checked into it. ABSOLUTE 100% ripoff.

Stop writing to this person. Get out now. If you can, report this scam to the proper authorities (whatever website you're dealing with).
vet, I sent you a PM about a cab that looks very similar to yours, interested in your opinon ... thanks!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Whenever you see the words along the lines of "the transaction will be completed through Worldpay/Western Union/Some other bull**** FOR YOUR SECURITY" they mean "for me to jack yo ***!". If it sounds even a little too good to be true, it definitely is
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Peter MM
Intermediate

Hello all, Selling my '88 and received this offer: (pretty amusing!!!)
Hello ,
Thanks for your prompt reply. After your mail I got in touch with my client on the details of your reply to our enquiry on the vehicle's condition at the AD and evaluation of your ad it is satifactory to him.
He really commended your vehicle from its features in the advert and has instructed me to carry on with the sales at the price of $15000 without negotiating further,since the vehicle is still for sale and in good condition as described by the advert.
I am therefore happy to tell you that I have concluded with my client and he has instructed me to carry on with the transaction, He said I should let you know that payment will get to you in a cashiers check of $22,600 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by him.
Due to companys policy this payment has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashiers check,this amount is expected to in part cover both the shipping and any other expences that might accrue in the course of this transaction ,so you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle which is $15900 when payment gets to you and refund balance which is $6700 to my client's shipper,who will come for inspection/pickup for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers).
Confirm this and forward your....

LEGAL NAMES.....

ADDRESS.......

PHONE NUMBER
For payment to be made out to you as soon as possible.
All other information needed in completion of this transaction will be given to you in due course.
Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated. ,

Respectfully,
XXXXXXXXxXXX

Anyone ever seen this scam?

Cheers, Peter
Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, that's another common fraud... bogus check sent to you / you send good check back. at least you get to keep your car. for fun, I suppose you could send back a bogus check (from the Bank of What's Happening Now?). I can't imagine anyone falling for these scams...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Pete

That's hilarious .. you actually get to pay someone for stealing your car !!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter MM
Hello all, Selling my '88 and received this offer: (pretty amusing!!!)
I've always wondered about those.
Suppose you "accept" thier offer and they send you a check.
Who exactly comes to collect the car?

Let's say you hide a good GPS tracker in the car and follow every minute of it's journey....

Sounds like an easy setup to me..
Old 11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's another example of a scam, which I received as a result of my ad placed in the Rennlist Classifieds. You must be careful!

Hello ,
I'm really glad with the content of your mail,Thanks so much for everything, Pls help me take proper care of it because I believe by now it belongs to me.I am okay with the price and condition of the ITEM.
Please DO NOT respond to anybody again .About the shipment,I will take care of that myself. I shall contact a shipping company that normally does that for me.I shall pay in USA Money Order or Cashier Check that clears immediately, after which you now will deduct your own cost and send the rest of the fund to the shipping company thought western union money transfer in order for the shipment to take place... I am really glad that you want me
to get the ITEM and my family will be happy also when I get it.'cos it is coming to a good home.
Pls email me back today.
I'll need your data for the check, viz;
FULL NAME.......
CONTACT ADDRESS.......
ASKING PRICE.........
CITY.........
STATE..........
ZIP CODE..........
PHONE NUMBER..........
Pls mail me today to let me know I am the rightful owner.
Thanks for selling to me.

Cheers

Tarry Gardern.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Here is the follow-up e-mail they sent me - unsolicited:

Dear sir,

The car is in a perfect conditions and it has never been involved in any accidents.It has a clear and clean title.
Please read my terms of this sale.
1-we will do this deal ONLY with WorldPay
2-i will start the shipping first and you will receive a confirmation from WorldPay that the shipping is started.also you will receive the deposit form.
3-they will ask you to send a deposit of $4500 (on one of their agent,for a better security),so i can be sure that i'm not selling the car for nothing.
4-after you put the money,you must send the deposit details to WorldPay via email or fax.(they will provide you the fax #)
5-i will NOT have access to any deposit details until you receive and until you are pleased with the condition of the car.
6-ONLY after you inspect and decide to keep the car,email WorldPay and tell them to release me the deposit details.
7-in case that you don't like the car,email WorldPay and request to get your money back.(you will NOT loose any money)
8-if you decide to keep the car,after i pick up the $4500 deposit,we
must discuss and see how and when you will be able to send the rest of money ($4500).
9-for this i need your full name,full address (street,city,zip,state) and phone # so i can forward to WorldPay to start the transaction.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

hilarious... if there were 75 steps I would be even more impressed. one thing is clear - somebody needs $4500 real bad.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

These all variations of the well known Nigerian Fraud Schemes. Sometimes they want up front money, other times they send a bogus check that looks good and the bank will cash it initially, but come back on you in three or four days when it bounces and they take the money out of your account. In all instances, they use either the World bank or Western Union so that you can't recoup the money like you could if you used a Visa. Their language and M.O. is always the same....some variations, but essentially the same.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Peter MM
Intermediate

While I know I should just ignore them I have a desire to play with them. Is there any risk to replying to their kind offer with a few of my own?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

While I know I should just ignore them I have a desire to play with them. Is there any risk to replying to their kind offer with a few of my own?
There is nothing to be gained. That and they will know your email address and the fact that you responded. I suppose you can expect more junk mail offers.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Peter MM
Intermediate

Yes, they already have my email address - but I always use a sacrificial one for things like this anyway.
I keep thinking that people must fall for this or else they wouldn't do it - amazing to me!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:00 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Others have BTDT.

Read about it here: www.frudster.com
Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

man i read the whole thing , that was great ..might get my own check

Quick Reply: Does this sound fishy to anyone on the board? I want to be sure ...