It was a coupe

You want blue.
You want a Targa/Cabriolet

What were you thinking, man!?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pity those that must have a roof over their heads to feel secure. Drive topless or don't drive at all!

(ok, all you coupe drivers, I'm just kidding... don't eat me alive... just trying to cheer up the future Targa owner!)
Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And another thing.....It wasn't from Ohio
Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Default C4 vs C2/3.2

Originally Posted by LUCKe27
Any thoughts on the Carrerra 2 vs 4. It seems like I wouldn't need all wheel drive in Atlanta.
I have a friend who has a C4. He got it the same time I got the 3.2 and we spent a few days trading cars and comparing.

The C4 has a heavier feel to me. It is very planted and sure-footed. It probably saved our butts on a curve that had a whole bunch of gravel on the pavement.

It felt more like most cars I've driven. In otherwords, it has some understeer.

The 3.2 has "none." It just goes around the curve and you aren't fighting any understeer. In fact, I find myself cutting corners too sharp because I expect to feel the car pull and it doesn't.

On the otherhand... holy sh**, Batman, the back end will get happy if you let it! You are probably doomed if you hit the curve too fast and panic and let off the gas or (gasp!) hit the brake. It hasn't happened to me yet but that is the consensus on the rear-wheel drive 911s. They have oversteer if you let off the power.

I liked the C4 a lot. I liked mine a lot. They were clearly different animals. But both were pretty darn fantastic and fun. I had more confidence in the C4 but I liked the feel of mine more. My car felt lighter and more agile I guess. More raw. And in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing and isn't peeing their pants out of fear of oversteering the beast into a tail spin... I'm thinking a 3.2 is hard to beat

Sure is fun in the twisties.

I liked the gear shift in the C4. It's a shorter lever with shorter throws than my 3.2. (note: Both have the G50 and hydraulic clutch)

My clutch was more friendly -- not so stiff.

The C4 has a better heating/cooling system. Better controls. More modern switches on the dash, better idiot lights.

If you like to attack twisty roads, I'd suggest you do a test drive of a C4 and a C2 (or 3.2) before you buy. They are quite a bit different. I like both. I have to think if you are an experienced driver (autocross, done DE schools, etc) then you may come away liking the C2/3.2. If not, the understeer of the C4 will feel more natural.

And one more thing... you can always tune out a lot of the understeer with suspension modifications. You will have a harder time tuning out the oversteer of a C2/3.2. But then again, you may not want too! If you know what you're doing, it's fun stuff.

Shannon
(posing as someone who knows what the hell I'm talking about when probably I don't because I've only had a 911 for 3 months!) (but I did get to spend a week driving a C4 and a 3.2 alternately)
Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
And another thing.....It wasn't from Ohio
Good point.

I bleed scarlet (and grey).
Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've said it many times that my car is from Upper Arlington, Ohio. the 25 California cars I looked at couldn't carry this car's water. good night
Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I was in your position only a few months ago. I know precisely how you feel. And there were two C4s that "got away" from me and I was crying over. But, like you, I was afraid to buy a car sight-unseen and without a PPI. And, like you, I started thinking maybe I'd settle for a color I didn't really want.

Trust me on this... a better one always comes along.

If I bought a $15 - $20K car and had to turn around and put in $10K in repairs (which is actually very possible in a C4 or even a 3.2), it would be financially devestating for me. So take your time and get one that you can have reliable PPI done on.

I sympathize with you. I was you!! But I ended up with a really cool car. Didn't settle for a coupe. Didn't settle for a color I didn't like. Didn't settle for a year I didn't want. And all of the sudden, "my" car found me.

Your 911 will find you too. Hang in there, dude.

No matter how great the one is that got away... there is always a better 911 coming along.

Shannon
87 Carrera Cabriolet, Carmine Red
Shannon, thanks for helping keep me grounded. I really do want a cab, and I really don't want white ... So, I'll just have to keep looking.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:42 AM
craiglwakefield
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I solved the color and coupe verses open air quandry by buying two Porsches! for what you will spend on a skookum 3.2, C2 or C4 you can buy a nice SC and a 914
Attached Images   
Old 11-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A stock C4 will push (on the track it will be like a snowplow ) but, if you set up the suspension properly (drop the ride height, put in more negative camber, stiffen the springs/shocks, and put in larger sway bars) it drives like a dream. It'll keep up with the C2's in the dry and leave them behind in the rain.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 11-10-2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Interesting 1989 C4 on Ebay -- no reserve