Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing new valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Scott98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new valve stem seals

I started installing new valve stem seals tonight and thought I would share a few pictures. Pic 1 is of the valve spring compressor installed. I pressurized the cylinder with about 110psi to keep the valve from falling down. I used an attachment from a compression tester. Its the green hose in the Pic. Pic 2 is of the valve spring (smaller one is inside the larger one in pic), valve spring retainer and the two keepers. Pic 3 is the old seal. Pic 4 is the new seal installed.

Once you compress the spring, use a magnetic pick up tool to remove the keepers. Then undo your spring compressors and remove the springs and retainer. Note that the larger spring has a tighter winding on one side and that side must face the cylinder when reinstalling. I used some narrow access valve stem seal removal pliers to get the old seal out. It was really in there tight and took some coaxing to get out. Drive the new seal on with a 13mm deep socket. You feel it "snap" into place when its all the way on. By far, the hardest part will be reinstalling the valve keepers. Just be patient. I put a little oil on the inside of the first one to help it stick in place while I installed the second one.

I hope I didn't leave anything out. Maybe someone else will find this useful if they decide to do theirs.

Scott

p.s. If you get this far, this is an excellent opportunity to see if your guides are bad. Simply grab the valve stem and try to move it. If it doesn't move at all, you should be good. I think Porsche says 1/64th of an inch of movement is too much. Basically, if you can feel any movement, your guide is shot.
Attached Images     
Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Scott98
Intermediate

BTW, the car is an '87 coupe.

Scott
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Scott and thank you for the pics
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 AM
D.C.
Instructor

All I can say is WOW. Nice work.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Scott98
Intermediate

I mistyped last night. There is a little wiggle room on the valve stem. Thats fine. You will know by comparison when you have too much wiggle. Make sure you decompress the cylinder, remove your old seal and push the valve in a little when you go to see how much play you have.

Scott
Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 AM
mkimber
Advanced

Very informative, Scott. Nice work and thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:01 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work, so you're not taking the heads off?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Scott98
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spence88mph
Great work, so you're not taking the heads off?
No. You don't have to remove the heads to do the seals. You do have to remove the heads to do the guides however. Your cost increases considerably in parts and tools if you have to remove the heads.

Scott

Quick Reply: Installing new valve stem seals