Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Exhaust System for 84 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 PM
lfe132
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Exhaust System for 84 Carrera

In your opinion who makes the best exhaust system for a 3.2? I will need heat exchangers and CAT bypass.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

check out you-tube. lots of sound clips to listen to. I have spent hours in heaven listening to everything from stock to wide open twin turbos.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 PM
lfe132
Racer

Okay, I can check out youtube, but what about the quality of the system? Performance? Fitability?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I have a fabspeed euro premuffler. Started with stock, tried a Bursch (aka, Dynomax), and then went to an M&K 1-in / 1-out (which I have now). Maybe a couple of months during the summer I run the fabspeed muffler bypass (dump tip), and I love the tone but not the volume of sound - it's just too loud if you're in a neighborhood. The M&K's ok, I get compliments here & there on it.

Keeps the stock exchangers this way. With a Welt chip, my 84's making 198-204hp at the wheels; I'm hoping to someday pull the trigger on a Steve Wong chip, and update the DME while doing so.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Trog
AutoX

I'm happy with mine (B&B):
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The prior owner of my '84 Carrera fitted the car with a Dansk pre muffler and a Dansk sport muffler. The parts were just added before I got the car.

They fit reasonably well (I swapped out the pre muffler with a cat for emissions purposes and then put the pre muff back on) and have a good tone. Build quality seems good, though the parts have only seen about 10,000 miles. There is no resonance at any rpms and the exhaust is throaty, but not overbearing.

Hope this helps as another point of reference.

Jay
84 3.2, 90 964
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 AM
DARISC
Racer

I have a Dansk 2 in/2 out/SSIs on 82 SC RoW coupe (223 hp). Sets car alarms to chirping (if not setting them off full song) while idling through parking lots (underground garages are a lot of fun - blip it a few times and listen to the music ).

Cops don't turn their heads when I'm with them in traffic and my neighbors live with it (I'm real considerate whilst within their earshot). Cruises benignly with no drone. Drop the hammer and all hell breaks loose!

You-Tube sound on typical computer speakers is pretty crappy, doesn't tell you much.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:40 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Monty 2-in 1-out (with SSI) on the car and it was very reliable, but I wanted something louder. I now have a M&K 2-in, 2-out which sounds awesome, but is more fragile than the Monty (it cracked, Ben repaired it, and both muffler straps have since broken and disappeared). I still have the Monty on a shelf as a backup for the M&K until I'm satisfied it will last.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

to be fair we do NOT make the band straps they are purchase from mcmaster.com as constant t- hose clamps. They are very inexpensive and have worked very well for most everybody that I know of. You should run the straps or get replacements. The gen4's really don't need them as they are reinforced in all the good areas but you would not catch me running without them. The 1 in 1 outs are a different story they are and always were very stout and have never had 1 failure. The 2 in models have had 10 total ever so still good odds.

To best anser the question I would suggest a 1 in muffler from any of the great muffler manufactures out there. GHL and Monty are very good choices I would stay away from B&B as we have seen allot of those in for repair . The dansk are always a nice choice as well as they are OEM fit without question.

good luck
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mb911
to be fair we do NOT make the band straps they are purchase from mcmaster.com as constant t- hose clamps. They are very inexpensive and have worked very well for most everybody that I know of. You should run the straps or get replacements. The gen4's really don't need them as they are reinforced in all the good areas but you would not catch me running without them. The 1 in 1 outs are a different story they are and always were very stout and have never had 1 failure. The 2 in models have had 10 total ever so still good odds.

To best anser the question I would suggest a 1 in muffler from any of the great muffler manufactures out there. GHL and Monty are very good choices I would stay away from B&B as we have seen allot of those in for repair . The dansk are always a nice choice as well as they are OEM fit without question.

good luck
sorry, didn't mean to imply that you made the straps, it was just a data point about the failures I've seen. I replaced the straps with a more homemade version. The repair that you made to my 2-in seems to be holding up well after 30 track days and I suspect the Monty will be for sale next year.

FWIW, I get a LOT of comments on the sound of the M&K at the track, and luckily, it is right on the db limit (100 db) of my local track.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM
alers1399@bellsouth.net
1st Gear

On my 1988 Carrera Cab just installed SSI with M&K 2in, 2 Out & Steve Wong Chip. Sound is awesome. Always looking for underpasses.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System for 84 Carrera