Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

88 G50 Clutch Pedal Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 G50 Clutch Pedal Mystery

Recently my 88 G50 clutch pedal has developed an intermittent problem.

About half the time the it is depressed the pedal will stop at about 2/3rds of it's normal travel. It may do this 2-3 times and then will suddenly depress to it's normal travel. And then a few shifts later it happens again.

The clutch works fine, there are no strange noises and the tranny shifts properly. When it doesn't depress all the way, it still disengages the clutch okay.

I removed the wooden foot board and noticed the metal pedal travel limiter that bolts to the foot board was loose and the small rubber bumper was laying at the bottom.

I fitted all back into place properly, but a test drive proved that it was not the culprit. I thorough inspected the pedal cluster and everything functions correctly. The nylon bushings are not overly worn and nothing is binding.

Going further downstream, I'm wondering if it may be an issue with the linkage or pivot going into the clutch housing? Shift fork binding? Bearings worn in the shift fork? Crank getting ready to fall out of the motor?

An acquaintance suggested that possibly the rubber center of the clutch is disintegrating and pieces of it are getting caught between the flywheel and pressure plate, a scenario I don't care for.

Anyone have any experience along this line?

I know intermittent problems are the worse...

But that's what I'm stuck with.

Joseph
88 Carrera
AXhound

69 911E -
75 914 -
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Mileage on car? Mileage on clutch? Bulk of use - interstate xx%, town xx%?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Mileage on car? Mileage on clutch? Bulk of use - interstate xx%, town xx%?

Close to 90k on the odometer (more town than interstate), and the shop where it has always been serviced since new, thinks it has the original clutch (as best they can recall - records lost in a move).

I've only had the car for 10k.

What's your prognosis Pete?

Joseph
88 Carrera
AXhound

69 911E -
75 914 -
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Based on what you've posted, I would say that it's clutch time. The '88 falls into the model range that requires the T.O. bearing and fork update, so don't get too far from home with the car until the clutch gets looked after.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Well Pete,

You're correct. We've determined it to be either the fork bearings or rubber centered clutch plate.

I was looking forward to this being my first engine drop, but will not have time before Porsche Palooza in two weeks, so unfortunately will have to have my shop do it.

I will have some limited access to the car while it's being done. Anything else I might consider doing while the engine is dropped?

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Based on what you've posted, I would say that it's clutch time. The '88 falls into the model range that requires the T.O. bearing and fork update, so don't get too far from home with the car until the clutch gets looked after.
Joseph
88 Carrera
AXhound

69 911E -
75 914 -
Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Joseph: Take a very close look at those two fuel lines in the engine compartment, it's about time to replace them. Their part numbers are 930 110 595 05 & 930 110 411 99. Your car is just about 20-years old, so check the dates on those brake flex hoses. Replace them (use only o.e. rubber hoses) if they're still original, replace the hose for the clutch slave cylinder while you're at it and flush/bleed the system. Lastly, check the cyl. head temp sensor, if it's the single wire version update it to the newer two-wire type. These repairs are much easier to do with the engine/trans removed, and I'm sure that your shop will replace the oil pressure switch and thermostat o-ring as preventive maintenance. If you don't know the mileage that the last major service was done at, you might want to do that also. When removing the engine the oil will be drained, so you also have to make a decision regarding what type of oil that you want used (you've probably read some of the extensive discussions that this forum has had regarding reduced zinc in modern oils, etc., etc.). Please post again if you have more questions!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 PM
alex973
Instructor

ck for money under the clutch pedal cluster, i found lot's of change under there. not enough for a gallon of gas though.
good luck
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Well, I've thrown enough money at this car, I'm sure there's got to be some kinda change somewhere...

Originally Posted by alex973
ck for money under the clutch pedal cluster, i found lot's of change under there. not enough for a gallon of gas though.
good luck

Joseph
88 Carrera
AXhound

69 911E -
75 914 -

Quick Reply: 88 G50 Clutch Pedal Mystery