Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What Oil for older air cooled Porches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Clarkston
Wow! I wish I would have noticed this topic prior to having the oil changed this past week, with M1 I might add! Dam, now it's going to have to come out in when the car comes out of storage. One week earlier reading this and I would have saved myself $160!
Honestly, I doubt you car will suddenly explode because you used mobile 1 for a few miles. Run with it for now. But hey, what do I know, I am no expert.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:16 AM
T Rip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Back in the '80s and '90s when my shop took an engine apart it was immediately apparent what oil was used. Castrol and Pennzoil engines required three days in the hot tank, then hand-cleaning until things were acceptable for assembly. Kendall, Valvoline and Quaker State engines, on the other hand, needed nothing more than a quick dunk in the tank, and some brushing with Safety-Kleen. The Castrol engines in particular had amazing build up of crud on the rings and ring grooves, actual deposits stuck to the sides of connecting rods, and a much higher chance of cam lobe pitting/rocker arm wear, than other engines that had experienced a similar life. (An interesting aside; Pennzoil had something in the oil that caused rubber crank breather hoses and similar to prematurely rot). Kendall engines had almost perfect pistons/rings; we overhauled a '79 SC, for a long-time customer, at 190,000 miles and the pistons/cylinders still measured in spec! At the time there was plenty of evidence to not use anything but Kendall, and that's exactly what we did. The reason that I bring this up is that I don't believe that Leopards change their spots, so I will never use Castrol. Kendall, on the other hand, sold the company and probably had no control regarding the direction the new owner took their products. Then Brad Penn shows up, and produces an oil that smells and looks exactly as the "old" Kendall GT-1 did, and that's what is going into my car.
I'll second that. I once bought a vintage car with 70k miles on it from a guy that boasted the only oil the engine he had seen was Pennzoil. When I removed a valve cover to replace the gasket, the sludge build-up was so thick I wondered how the valves could function. It was a mess.

The discussion here is excellent. FWIW, I sent two emails to Amsoil asking about their recommendation of AFL 5W-40 European Car Formula oil for air-cooled Porsches. I even directed them to some of the site discussed here. They never responded. Any opinions on using it for normal street driving and less than 3k between changes? Is it really necessary to go with the 20-50 racing formulas?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

one last question from me on oil... what, if any, are the thoughts of some of the common anti-wear additives? common ones that comes to mind are Slick-50 or Marvel Mystery Oil... Forgive my stupidity.. Just trying to learn as much as I can...
Old 11-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
... what, if any, are the thoughts of some of the common anti-wear additives?
Over the years I've read in all the Porsche owner's manuals for my cars that Porsche does not recommend the use of any oil additive. I personally skip these Slick 50 type of products...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:42 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, there is a lot of talk here about older engines, but I am not sure what the demarkation point it. I have a '78 911, but it has an '86 3.2L engine in it. Does this '86 engine require the racing oil of yesteryear, or will a newer oil be just fine? If so, what is recommended for this year?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:38 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Okay, there is a lot of talk here about older engines, but I am not sure what the demarkation point it. I have a '78 911, but it has an '86 3.2L engine in it. Does this '86 engine require the racing oil of yesteryear, or will a newer oil be just fine? If so, what is recommended for this year?
Charles N or Steve W can speak with more authority but the "debarkation point" is wether you have flat or roller tappets in your valve train. I would think that all air cooled porsche engines require the older oil. For your 3.2, you definately have flat tappets.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I have searched all the local parts houses, and most of them never even heard of Brad Penn. I even checked a couple "performance" parts stores. I have found Royal Purple 20-50, and Rotella T is common. I am in the 4th largest city in the US (Houston) so Im abit surprised. I called Brad Penn and the closest Distributor is in Oklahoma City... Thats about a 6 hour drive one way.. Dont think Ill be doing that. I think the Royal Purple is Synthetic. I have a 83 SC that has probably never seen Synthetic to my knowledge although I dont have that level of detail on the history. Any recommendations?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:34 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad, you should be able to find SWEPCO 306 somewhere around Houston. It's a great oil for an old 911 motor. http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/oil.htm
Old 11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The test for an oil to be "Porsche Approved":

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...20#Post1026320
Old 11-11-2007, 05:06 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

neat find, let's not overlook that the ref is from 2002 & for a 996 (water-cooled) motor.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
some viewpoints Posted earlier in this Thread concerning Mobil 1 lubricants are IMHO quite inaccurate or misleading and the following factual information is relevant;

1 - The current Porsche >MY84 Approved M1 lubricants are;
M1 0w-40 (SM)
M1 5w-50 (SM)

These lubricants have been Porsche Approved for a decade (or more) and have undergone a number of Formulation changes - all for the better!

They both meet Euro valve train wear (and other) standards that have been in place since around 1994 (or much earlier)

2 - The following Non Approved but current M1 lubricants will all work well in air cooled Porsche engines subject to prevailing ambient requirements;

M1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (SL/CI-4 Plus)
M1 10w-40 High Mileage (SL)
M1 15w-50 (SM)
M1 EP 15w-50 (SM)

They all meet Euro valve train wear (and other) standards that have been in place since around 1994 (or much earlier)

3 - The abovementioned lubricants do NOT NEED and should NOT have any "supplementary" additives OF ANY SORT added to them. This includes those sold as "ZDDP" boosters and all of those others such as Slick 50 and etc. that "offer" extra Anti-Wear protection

4 - Oil change intervals as set by Porsche can be followed with great confidence when using any of these lubricants

5 - Lubricants of any Brand that are marked "GF-4" are unsuitable for use in any Porsche engine with the possible exception of the V6 (VW engine) Cayenne

6 - No SAE30 (10w-30 etc) lubricant currently satisfies Porsche's lubricant minimum specification - with the exception of the V6 (VW engine) Cayenne

7 - There is no credible information that any supplementary engine lubricant additive from any supplier will enhance the performance of a Porsche Approved lubricant or a lubricant specified as suitable for use by the engine's manufacturer

I have no Commercial relationship with any Oil Company and use a mix of Castrol, Shell and Mobil products in my wide range of vehicles and equipment

Regards
Old 11-12-2007, 01:49 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a Valvoline Racing 20/50
Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

My head is spinning after reading this entire thread, post-by-post.

I recently came across a supply of SL-rated 20w50. Can I safely use this oil in my 84 3.2L engine that is used on occasional weekends?

Thanks, everyone!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

times like this i find it easier to follow the leader, I mean really, could Steve and Pete and Charles be wrong?

in case it got lost somewhere, you can order Brad Penn on LNengineering.com
Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

That I understand, and I agree with your assessment of Steve, Peter and Charles, but it would be nice to know I can get some oil locally, too, if necessary.

So, I renew my question -- is 20w50 SL-rated oil OK for my car?

Quick Reply: What Oil for older air cooled Porches?