Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

insurance for '87 carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got a quote from Hagerty....agreed value of $55,000 for 87 factory slant cabriolet...no garage limitation, 5,000miles annual limit, $1,000 deductable.....$950 a year. They were the most liberal of all the companies I checked with as long as you have another car that's a DD and dont' drive the 87 to work (I'm retired). The other companies had rediculous limitations...couldn't go anywhere overnight and garage it other than at my residence....which made it rediculous if I wanted to take the wife for a weekend somewhere....there were all sorts of "can't do's" that essentially makes a garage queen out of your car. Hell, if I was an insurance agent, I'd have no problem insuring a car that wasn't covered for anything except in the garage. (being a bit fascetious...but the limitations were rediculous).
Old 02-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Just got a quote from Hagerty....agreed value of $55,000 for 87 factory slant cabriolet...no garage limitation, 5,000miles annual limit, $1,000 deductable.....$950 a year. They were the most liberal of all the companies I checked with as long as you have another car that's a DD and dont' drive the 87 to work (I'm retired). The other companies had rediculous limitations...couldn't go anywhere overnight and garage it other than at my residence....which made it rediculous if I wanted to take the wife for a weekend somewhere....there were all sorts of "can't do's" that essentially makes a garage queen out of your car. Hell, if I was an insurance agent, I'd have no problem insuring a car that wasn't covered for anything except in the garage. (being a bit fascetious...but the limitations were rediculous).
Hey Bob & Chuck... I finally signed up with Sneed for my 87 Cab... They gave me a value of $40,000 for $580 a year. I'm happy about that. I have a 5000 mile annual limitations, but I'm o.k. with that. I looked them up at the better business bureau, and I could not find anything derogatory about them. Hopefully I'll never have to use the insurance.

Thanks for the info... appreciate it.

C.L.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Chuck,..as to the "no garage limitation",..is this to say that you don't have to garage it? I would assume so but thought I'd better ask.

Thanks,
Old 02-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I guess that term is a little confusing. The "no garage limitation"...as explained by the agent, means that I can go overnight to the coast with the wife and stay in a motel, or go visit some friends in the Bay Area and stay overnight at their house, and still be covered. The language in some of the policies clearly states that the car MUST be garaged at your house otherwise it's not covered. That essentially makes a garage queen out of your car. This might work for some of the guys who "never drive it in the rain", but I do take it out and drive it.....and if it happens to rain, I figured that's what the windshield wipers and canvas top were for. I would be interested in hearing from C.L. if the language in his policy mandates garaging at the house. Actually, the most important factoids are what they list as reasons for DENIAL...rather than coverage. That's the acid test of a policy like this.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Chuck... I'll go over the exact language in the policy and get back to you on that one..

C.L.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standing by, CL.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Dentron
Instructor

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Standing by, CL.
Actually I called Sneed and found out my car insurance coverage does require my car be garaged. The car is to be used to attend " shows and for pleasure".. Parking at Walmart my car is not covered. Parking at Malls (shopping) my car is not covered. However, if I were to drive to Northern California and visit my in-laws (without a garage at the destination) my car would still be covered. No deductible...40k.

I'm still waiting for the policy to arrive at my house.

I hope this helps...

C.L.

Quick Reply: insurance for '87 carrera