Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

insurance for '87 carrera

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
txhoosier
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i ended up going with Leland West. They gave me the best price - $401 for the year.

thanks for all your help!

tx
Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TXhoosier: I'm talking to Leland West right now trying to get a quote for my 87 930 factory slant cab. I am looking for an agreed-upon-value policy...and their quote was substantially higher than your $400.

What policy did you end up with? Was there an agreed upon value or a mileage restriction? I know that currently, the car is under my CSAA multiple car discount and it's costing me over $1K a year....so I've got to do something.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:35 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which agreed-value companies DON"T require garaging? Wondering if it's just something they'll charge (even) extra for? Or,..do they "run" from it, period?

...just curious....
Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

There are a lot of exclusionary issues....they're not covered while at an indy shop being repaired; not covered if visiting a friend overnight and parked in a place other than your garage; not covered if you drove it to work to pick up a briefcase, not covered if at any DE day or "training" etc etc etc. You have to abide by some pretty restrictive language and know what the exclusions are or you will find your claim denied.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys are talking about a very different policy than I got. My car was less than a buck a day and was treated as all my other cars. the garage and briefcase stuff is just funny.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

again,..the garaged question,..anyone?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I've been reading the fine print on a number of the larger and better known Classic Car insurance companies....and without exception so far....all require garaging in a fully enclosed garage with a locking mechanism....The folks like Leland, Haggarty, Progressive etc MUST put in the exclusionary language becasue if you're going for the agreed value, they have to protect themselves as much as possible...if they're going to offer a reduced premium, then they've got to include some fairly rigid restrictions. Although I don't like some of the restrictions, I can see why they're in there...any policy, statute, law, or disclaimer contains some sort of restrictive language because those issues are the ones they've run into that have cost them dearly. Any insurance company that paid out regularly...won't be in business very long. That's why you see so many of these dogone extended warranty companies coming and going....if they cant' consistently show a profit, they kill the program or make it more restrictive.

I jokingly refer to this sort of thing as the "Low tide in Honolulu"....meaning that the fine print contains some pretty rediculous sounding exclusionary factors. I've got to jump thru some hoops to get my car insured by any of the big Three I'm dealing with....pictures, documentation, mileage figures, in some cases even a written estimate of value from a recognized "expert". That alone will cost you around $200 if you go to a known expert. If you want the coverage for a reduced amount, you have to jump thru a few hoops. What I'm concerned about is that the company I choose has been around for years and has a record of service....so if you have a company that meets that sort of criteria, I'd really appreciate hearing who they are.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Paul523
Pro

Good info, Chuck. I've also heard collector policies excluding coverage at any shopping mall or for that matter any retail store parking lots... (underwriters have a point but ya gotta wonder by this token whether Starbucks car meets going on all summer around the country like Crystal cove/ California gatherings are therefore at risk).
What if retail mgmt on the whole designated half dozen "collector" safe parking spaces way off back corner of lot, i.e. mirror image of handicap spaces

btw I got $20K stated value policy from State Farm on an early 911E I picked up recently for $170/ 6 months; (agent required photos of all body panels, engine, interior, w/ newspaper front page in corner of pic) $500 deduct, $100-300 liability, annual mileage unspecified, garaged in OH.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Paul: I continue with my inquiries into the best bang for the buck. It's starting to look like Leland or Hagerty....most likely Hagerty. Although they're over $1K, I'm asking for actual value of $60K for the 87 factory slant....and their "restrictions" are much more lax than any of the other folks. They are definitely not as terse about staying overnight somewhere, PCA events like tours...(not racing though), pleasure drives on the weekend with the top down.....and a realistic 5,000 miles a year. I doubt that I'd hit the 5K a year....I got that out of my system the first year I had it and drove it about 4K miles, now it stays indoors covered and only comes out for weekend drives when it can see it's shadow. I'm filling out the application for Hagerty and will get a final quote...but since it's pretty close to what I'm paying AAA right now, plus it's agreed value, I'll most likely go with them. On another thread, I'm asking if anyone has gone thru a claim with them because the acid test is the claim process. Talk is cheap, but someone who's BTDT can shed valuable information on the most critical part of any policy....the unfortunate experience of having to submit a claim.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Dentron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob S
Try Sneed & Robinson Insurance... I live in Jersey and pay $400 yearly for a my 930 and around the same for my 87 coupe... Stated value on coupe $25000 and $28000 on 930 with unlimited miles..
Bob... I called Sneed today, and they gave me a quote of $630 per year for $40K coverage with 5000 miles a year limitation.

They said they would pay if something happened. I believe you have your insurance with Sneed... I would imagine you have a good feeling about them...?

C.L.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Bob S
Instructor

C.L.... I've been with them for several years now and have never had any problems...

I had one claim a few years back, they directed me to get a couple of appraisals. I did from two shops...
I picked the more expensive quote, as I felt the shop did better work and they paid the claim without any questions ...Although, the other driver did hit me, while I was stopped at a traffic light.

They never raised my premiums. So my experience with them has been good... Hope this helps..
Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob S
C.L.... I've been with them for several years now and have never had any problems...

I had one claim a few years back, they directed me to get a couple of appraisals. I did from two shops...
I picked the more expensive quote, as I felt the shop did better work and they paid the claim without any questions ...Although, the other driver did hit me, while I was stopped at a traffic light.

They never raised my premiums. So my experience with them has been good... Hope this helps..
Does Sneed's have a garage requirement?

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Bob S
Instructor

dshepp806:

I think there is a garage requirement, but I'd have to check...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Dentron
Instructor

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Does Sneed's have a garage requirement?

Thanks,

Yes... There is a garage requirement. It really sounds like a good deal for what I'm looking for.

I hope I'll never have to exercise the insurance...

C.L.

Last edited by Dentron; 02-15-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Farmer's sold me a good Hagerty policy without a mileage limit... a garage was the first requirement.

Quick Reply: insurance for '87 carrera