Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Flame on.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel bad. I know someone else who had his targa top fly off...although he "claims" he had it latched on properly. He was on the highway though. I think he had it rebuilt after that.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only takes ONCE and it will probably never happen again.

No Traga experiences here, but during my first 2 months of Coupe ownership, I had the experience of heading down the road and having the frikin hood come upward on me! Not at high speed, mind you. It was like I had rehearsed this event, as it concluded perfectly. As it rose upward, I responded quickly with brake application (lowering the hood downward), then an acceleration providing a slow, uneventful click to it's rest position....ever so gently. I then pulled over into the Ace Hardware lot, pretending that I had a failure of the utmost complexity to entertain the parking lot (observant) audience. Embarrased as hell, I was,..knowing that my inattentiveness almost wreaked havoc!! Hell,..I now check it every AM before I crank the car. Could of sustained some serious damage had I been at a higher rate of speed,....never again....never, ever again.

Glad it seems to have worked out for you...

Best,
Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
So I was hungry, I decided to go out and try to find some food. I pull out onto the busy street and start accelerating. All of a sudden I feel a strange draft and there is more abundant light. I look up and I can see the stars.....strange, I don't remember taking my targa top off. I look in the review mirror and I can see the targa top sailing through the air like a kite on crack. Joy.

I guess the last time I parked the car I was in a rush because it was starting to rain, I assume I must have forgotten to secure the latches. So I have to stop the car on this road/highway in the dark and run out behind me to retrieve my beloved and expensive targa top. I through it in the back seat and got the hell out of there.

The good news is that the top was not damaged as far as I can tell, first light in the morning might reveal more, and more importantly no one was hurt.

Argh.....
Soooo, what you're saying is that if I see another white Targa driving around Ottawa, I shouldn't drive behind it

There are two things I always do before going for a drive in the 911:
1) push up on targa top to make sure I didn't forget to latch it
2) pull on steering wheel (it's removable) to make sure it's on.

I've never had the top fly off, but I did pull the steering wheel off on the track once cause I didn't lock it on.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Soooo, what you're saying is that if I see another white Targa driving around Ottawa, I shouldn't drive behind it
Well, if you do just make sure you pick up the top for me.

still miss the car, but I know that it's in good hands. Old Man Neri, you should have known being a pilot that sooner or later, the car or some of it's part would take off into orbit one day...

Glad there was no damage to the top. As you probably know, the receipt in 2001 said something like $895 to rebuild it.
Ya, it's in good hands. It's been running great. Finally fixed that oil leak, turned out to be a $6 part although I lost almost a gallon of oil before all was said and done.

Ya, the pilot thing, my dad recommended I get these just so I remember the next time.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of off topic, but racing at Sebring in a SCCA National race in the first time back on track after a really bad shunt in Daytona, I take my freshly rebuilt and repainted SRF out for the Sunday afternoon "sprint". I do my warm-up laps, take the green, and on the old Tower turn the car goes incredibly loose and I actually run off the track gathering it back up. I come back around by start/finish and my then girlfriend says into the radio, "what happened to the tail?" Well in a spec you don't have that great a vision to the rear so I'm craning my head left and right trying to see what's wrong with the tail. My response back into the radio was "What? Did somebody hit me?" She says "No, the tail's gone!" Of course that has my attention and I figure my brand-new $1000 fiberglass tail is in a million pieces on the track. So I'm looking for the shards on the track, but its clean and green. I run the whole race without that tail, and its amazing how much downforce I lost. It was a loose handfull to drive.

After the checker I pull into my paddock and start getting out when the club's chaplain comes over and says in a serious voice, "Jim I think they want to see you at the Marshall's trailer. Something about running under minimum weight!" then busts into a big belly laugh and walks off shaking his head. Now, about three drivers who were behind me come over, they're like, "What happened to your tail?! That thing flew up in the air over my car about 15 feet and I was praying it wouldn't land n front of me, or hit me!"

By now, I'm checking things out. The tail is secured by two latches on the front sides and two pins on the rear top. There were the two pins still sitting over my antenna were I always put them so I know where they are and they get put back on. They ran the whole race around that antenna. About that time my girlfriend comes over and when she sees the pins goes ashen and says "Oh my God! I'm so sorry I forgot to put them in!" She had secured the tail, taping the latches and such, but I should've looked too so I couldn't really get mad.

The last part of this long-winded story is that here comes our fire marshall in his truck with my intact tail in the back! Seems it flipped off the car, and then floated down like a parachute and lightly landed right side up just off the track in the grass. It had one little chip in the paint on the edge, otherwise it wasn't damaged! That's why I never saw the pieces, the corner workers ran out after everybody had gone by and put it behind the wall until the race was over.

So, what's the point of all of this? Nothing I guess other than never be in too big a hurry to double-check things and sometimes when s_ _ t does happen, you get away clean with it. Of course I didn't run real well in the race, but that's another whole matter.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Good stories - both of you. I had the hood come up on me in my '68 Nova, had the door swing open on a turn in my '49 truck, and all sorts of other things in cars. It's all part of the experience
Old 10-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink

....so when I broke the cam into multiple pieces, dropped several pistons into the pan, found my double pumper on the sidewalk, and grenaded the clutch in my '64 Cuda, it was just part of the experience?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douglas bray
....so when I broke the cam into multiple pieces, dropped several pistons into the pan, found my double pumper on the sidewalk, and grenaded the clutch in my '64 Cuda, it was just part of the experience?
Or just your bad driving
Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Frank. I guess word get's around...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Oh, I got another one for you guys. I am visiting my parents for a little bit. They just had their drive way repaved and put some interlock stone into it, looks really nice. They have been inquiring a lot about the oil leaks of my car. Basically they are worried I will stain their driveway so they want me to park in the street......the shame!

Quick Reply: Flame on.......