Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thanks, Final Road Trip Photos, Farewell...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:21 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I just say I regret selling that car.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Is someone gonna fill us in ?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Yeah now we're highly intrigued
What's the scoop.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:18 AM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi All,
I was able to get in touch with Der. I tracked him down as I just took delivery of his car. It now resides in Houston and will be here for a very long time . Working on making a timeline and tracking down the person he sold it to. Just love the history on the car, and that owner that converted it to 3.4 and added in SSI's and a chip.

Did a couple of small projects yesterday, but she runs great, shift like a dream, no smoke, no oil leaks. Got a few projects in the works. This is my first air-cooled and her garage mate is my blue 981.

Looking forward to being part of this great community!

Old 12-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Awesome, congrats. It was a great car when I owned it and is no less stunning more than a decade later in that gorgeous Venetian Blue.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Awesome, congrats. It was a great car when I owned it and is no less stunning more than a decade later in that gorgeous Venetian Blue.
Who sold it to who? Der Mond was here with it when I got mine right at 10 years ago.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Who sold it to who? Der Mond was here with it when I got mine right at 10 years ago.
i sold it to Der Mond.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
i sold it to Der Mond.
Very cool. I purchased mine through a broker representing a retired Ohio State professor who moved home to Costa Mesa. He wanted to be anonymous, but left a registration slip under the passenger seat. I was able to look him up and "street view" his old house in Ohio. He also had a Bugatti.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 AM
Kylefun
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, the pictures are fantastic, wish you all the best :) 
Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Very cool. I purchased mine through a broker representing a retired Ohio State professor who moved home to Costa Mesa. He wanted to be anonymous, but left a registration slip under the passenger seat. I was able to look him up and "street view" his old house in Ohio. He also had a Bugatti.
Very cool! As Flat-6 stated, he sold it to Der. The gaps I am missing in ownership is before Flat. And 1 owner after Der. I have contacted and gotten information from Der and the 2 most recent owners.

Just a cool story this car has been thru for it to finally land in my garage. And it gives me something to do while I wait for my brake light switches to arrive
Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Brake light switches!!!!! We should have had this talk a few days ago. I forget the exact numbers, but it is something like this:. That part at the Porsche dealer is $24.99. Same exact part, same maker, same box, same part#, same everything at a VW supply house is $6.99. I kid you not.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

lol I new Doug was coming in with that .. I actually need a couple too

Doug do you lose fluid when you replace these ?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:37 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Brake light switches!!!!! We should have had this talk a few days ago. I forget the exact numbers, but it is something like this:. That part at the Porsche dealer is $24.99. Same exact part, same maker, same box, same part#, same everything at a VW supply house is $6.99. I kid you not.
Ah dang, oh well. Ordered from Pelican yesterday. Lesson learned and from what I read I will be doing again for sure
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
lol I new Doug was coming in with that .. I actually need a couple too

Doug do you lose fluid when you replace these ?
From what I read it is not a lot, like a teaspoon full. Here is what I found on how to replace.

1. You're mostly working from the driver's side over the wing / fender, put a big towel on it to protect it from brake fluid on hands, and scratches. Boot / trunk carpet is away; remove 4 philips screws to remove black 'cardboard' ventilation cover.

2. Completely remove the big short ventilation hose near brake master cylinder.

3. Remove the long hose from the center attachment and snake it up and out of the way to the driver's side, ensuring it doesn't put pressure on the brake fluid cap electrical connectors, they can break off.

4. Remove the top 10mm bolt holding the angled bracket which partly blocks access to the switches.

5. Loosen the bottom 10mm bolt on bracket halfway, use a paper towel on the top of the bracket and swivel it towards the centre a bit until it rests out of the way on the plastic ventilator housing (paper towel is to avoid scratches if car is nice).

6. Remove the two connectors from the brake light switches.

7. Put a heavy rag underneath the switches, and a heavy paper towel over the rag, this will capture all fluid that leaks out (it's minimal).

8. Let a drop of brake fluid (from your brake fluid reservoir float) into the hole at the top of the new switch; shake it and tap it until the fluid gets in / a bubble of air comes out. Repeat, and use a small pin to help the fluid in. Repeat once more, now the switch should be 'full' - keep vertical.

9. Use a 22mm wrench on the front switch, it's in tight so just increase pressure until it releases. Work slowly, it gets easier, then remove by hand with the new switch in your other hand. Put the old switch where it won't drip, finger thread in the new switch slowly, don't worry about brake fluid coming out. Then wrench it in tight until it feels as firmly in as it was to remove it - don't think you have to wrench it flush, just as tight as it was to get out.

10. On the rear switch, use a 22mm socket. Put the socket on the switch first, then put the drive halfway in or as far as it goes (usually the switch connectors will block the drive bit itself). Make sure it has a decent seat, then remove the switch and replace as above in step 9.

11. Re-attach the brake light switch connectors. If you test the brakes now, they probably won't light up. Start the car, brake a couple times, then it should work.

12. For liability and safety reasons I would recommend bleeding the brake system, though I didn't bother :-/

13. Re-attach stuff as in steps 5 through 1.

Quick Reply: Thanks, Final Road Trip Photos, Farewell...