Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hi--New 911 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 PM
GoNow
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi--New 911 Owner

Hi All - I just bought a 1985 911 Coupe and it's really brought me back to the fun/thrill of driving--really driving--a sports car. Many moons ago I had a 1968 912 that I sold when I got married for the first time (split with the wife--should have kept the car). I guess Porsche is right when they say it's a life-long obsession. Anyway, my second wife (now and forever) knew I had a love/lust for Porsches and regretted giving up the 912. Someone where she works was selling their Porsche and she asked me "Should I have him call you--I know you've always wanted another one." Well I called and now it sits in our garage--that's two keepers for me!

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded intro. I really do have a question or two--the 911 came with a "Weltmeister" chip installed and an extra muffler pipe that the PO said installs in place of the CAT. My question is: Does the W chip do anything special? The PO wasn't sure--he thought it had something to do with better gas mileage and I don't know anything about chips--didn't have one in the 912.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I have a Wetmeister Chip in my '84, and a Fabspeed Euro Pre-Muffler as well.

I was able to hit 204hp at the wheels back when I got the car at 50k miles in late '04, so it's doing something (that was prior to the pre-muffler going on).

However, I have had slight idle hunting (a few hundred rpms) that I suspect is chip-related. I have been meaning to move to a Steve Wong chip & DME unit update for quite some time now.

Congrats on your '85, & welcome aboard!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
sus911
Track Day

Mine's an ROW '84 and I have dyno tests confirming the SW chip makes an extra 8-10 RWHP. I bought his custom chip so I still have 3 iterations which I will use when I replace the exhaust and tune the intake.
I'm pretty impressed and cold starting idle etc. is perfect.
cheers,
Phil
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
GoNow
AutoX

Thanks for the help. So, a chip has less to do with gas mileage and more to do with HP. I also have the chip that came with the car, but I'll leave the Weltmeister chip in.

I'm not sure what to do with exhaust pipe that I also got with the car. The PO wasn't sure either--he got it from his PO when he bought the car 5 years ago. We think it replaces the CAT, but not sure how that would affect the car. Any thoughts? Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Instructor

The Cat Replacement Pipe reduces backpressure and "should" let the engine breathe a bit better, esp. if the Cat is clogged from passing a lot of exhaust gas thru it over the many years!

That said, in my experience, a clean Cat will flow about as well as you need for a Carrera, unless you are going to swap out the HE's & muffler for a complete SSI system, dual in, dual outs, etc.

And then a Cat isn't going to be an option....

BTW, sharp Carrera! Love the Avatar photo!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Sounds like you have a CAt bypass. It is easy to put on if that is what it is . post some pics .. looks good in the Avatar ( use irfanview to resize pics) . I usually take my digital pics from my camera and "resize/resample" the pic by half twice and it uploads fine.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

...doesn't half twice get you back to where you started?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

no actually it's a quarter but I wasn't sure how to spell it ..
Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoNow
Hi All - I just bought a 1985 911 Coupe
welcome

nice lookin carrera!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Love it Love it Love it. Get ready to beat the old ladies off with a stick. (no pun intended, it just came out that way) I have to say red looks good on that car. welcome aboard.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Hey GoNow, welcome aboard. This site will save you lots of $$$ and you will make many friends here. First off, my car came with a weltmeister too, but after my DME blew out and made me cry, I had the DME updated and the guy mailed me a stock 911 chip. I have been meaning to put it in as it is MY OPINION, and I emphasize the word opinion, that aftermarket chips can damage your car. I know many people love Steve Wong chips, and I think his chips aren't actually bad for your engine, but most other aftermarket chips can cause damage over time. I should really follow my own advice and pop that Weltcrapper out sometime.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
GoNow
AutoX

Thanks for the warm welcome and good info--I'll post some pix this weekend.

Before I went back down the Porsche road I read Peter Zimmerman's "The Used 911 Story" cover-to-cover three times and constantly refer to it--how can so much vital information be packed into such a thin book? His knowledge got me up to speed in a really short time. For the time I've been reading the posts here, I feel the same way about this forum! I hope I can contribute in time and not just ask questions.

My inclination right now is to not do any mods until I really know what I'm doing and have plowed through Wayne Dempsey's "101 Projects for Your Porsche 911". So with the mods on hold I guess I pass putting on the Cat bypass for now.

Referring to Oshin11's comment, I'm wondering what kind and extent of damage an aftermarket chip can cause over time. It sounds like putting the stock chip back in might be best.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:28 PM
mniba1
Instructor

Unhappy

Congrats on the guards coupe, looks great! Am starting to think about selling my 85.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by GoNow
...It sounds like putting the stock chip back in might be best...
I would, but that's just me. A love a 99.99% stock Porsche. Engineered just the way Porsche intended it.

The only mod I ever made was to purchase a 2nd airbox cover and cut the top off it. That mod gives the engine a better sound from inside the car, because the stock 3.2 is fairly quiet, IMO.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
GoNow
AutoX

Yes--I think Porsche did a lot of things right and stock is best for me. That way I can save up for the really big things--like tranny rebuilds, etc. <G>

This one is pretty much stock all around as far as I can tell. I did notice the lower valve covers are Turbo-style and there are Bilstein shocks (green) in the rear--not sure if those are stock. The lid shocks are shot all around and I'll be replacing those this weekend--my first tinker!

I guess I'll put the stock chip back in, although I still don't know what ill effects an aftermarket chip would have on the engine. The Weltmeister that's in there now was put in 15 years ago according to the receipts I got with car.

Quick Reply: Hi--New 911 Owner