Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fan Shroud and AC Unit Removal-----Easy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Shroud and AC Unit Removal-----Easy?

Hey guys, man I am so addicted to doing things for my car again. So how hard is it to remove the fan shroud? I want to paint the shroud granite green metallic like my car and the fan a nice dark black. I think it would look pretty cool but I dont want to do it if its going to cost me an arm and a leg and tons of labor time. Also, I figure why carry the AC unit every mile when I absolutely never use AC. I think that process is detailed in "101 Projects" but how easy is it really?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

go pack your bags man, the chicks in Santa Barbara are not going to be looking under your hood....well. and the A/C I think you want plugs for the lines before you take it apart. it is a quick 85 pound of fat loss if you go all the way and empty the smuglers box.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I'm not repainting my engine for the chicks, I'm doing it for all the Porsche freaks out there, myself being one of them.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/911_engine_comp1.htm

Seems to be pretty detailed but I dont know if I have the skill or craftsmanship to be able to do what he did.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 AM
astark
Intermediate

Oshin--

A/C removal is easy, a bit dirty, if you want to remove all the lines. I chose to remove the compressor, brackets, rear deck condenser, and back date the heat. Take your time, it requires standard tools and patience. The reward is weight loss in the right place, easier access to the engine and...it looks great!

First pix is A/C removal

Second pix is after heater backdate.

good luck,
Alan
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what a Carrera looks like with the a/c removed and a heater backdate. Are you asking about removing the fan "shroud" or the "housing"? I assume you really mean the housing (powder coated black in my pic), if so, it's not too bad to remove (along with the fan & alternator, etc.) but it's a slippery slope, I'm warning ya !

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

looks great is your fan powder coated too Keith?

BTW: what does 'CE' Coupe mean?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Thanks Spence! Yes, my fan is powder coated silver. I think silver goes well with my CE's (Commemorative Edition) Diamond Blue Metallic paint (which changes hues depending upon the light conditions, and appears silver at times).

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I thought the "CE" was the "Silver Anniversary" edition, formally?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

ahhh i know of 'CE', very nice car.

can you also piont me in the right direction for a 3.2 heater backdate, parts needed etc, I imagine it's not quite as effective now? Not that that's a problem, I can barely keep mine on position one for 15 minutes without cooking myself. Is there a post you got the info off how to do it? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just keen to get my bay looking that nice.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

I thought the "CE" was the "Silver Anniversary" edition, formally?
there was both, the silver was all silver including the wheel centres with gray interior and the 'CE' was blue/blue with a plaque on the dash.... I think!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Keith I want my engine bay to look like yours! How much did it cost you to get it to look like that? Did you do the work yourself? Astark yours looks incredible too but keith's car is closer to what my car is. I want to get red lines too, my black ones are getting quite old.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

The Commemorative Editions ('88) are all Diamond Blue Metallic (with F.Porsche signature on the seats) and are sometimes referred to as Signature Editions (slang). The Anniversary Editions ('89) were mostly silver (with a few black ones). I don't recall the specifics on the "Silver Anniversary Editions", but they commemorated the 25 anniversary of Porsche and came out in 1975. Except for the actual powder coating of the fan, housing, and engine tin (I sent mine to Al Reed for approx. $125), I did all the work myself. It was winter, my car was on jackstands for my first valve adjustment, and before I knew it, "one thing lead to another" . The red spark plug wires are Magnecor 8.5s. As far as backdating heat on a Carrera, all you need are the left side hot air duct (mine is the 930 part, but there are a couple of other options), and the hose that connects that piece to your existing "hot air tube" that protrudes up through the engine tin next to the distributor. Here's a Pelican thread that may help:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...rrera+backdate

ps: Even with backdated heat, a Carrera will still "cook ya" if you want it to...

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Last edited by KC911; 09-19-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that is a sick engine. I think for that look I would give up my "bone stock virgin" statis in favor of the "lady of the night" look.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Eh I got over my virgin status, I am SO over it. I still don't like putting in a bunch of gadgets and things to boost performance, because frankly I didn't buy this car for performance. I could just drive my brother's G35 if I wanted to kill myself on the streets. However that being said, my wire covers from my distributor and looking really rough and I wouldn't mind replacing them. Plus, not to be a girl, but that engine looks so clean and shiny. Here's the hard part, I can't find any documentation on how the heck to even begin taking this thing apart to get the compressor and blowers off. I wouldn't want to jump into it without knowing step by step what it is that I have to do.

Quick Reply: Fan Shroud and AC Unit Removal-----Easy?