Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fan Shroud and AC Unit Removal-----Easy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

KC the cold air delete I think I can do now the hot air delete I have a question on. Do I just remove the big blower and the big plastic tube or do I add somthing?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oshin11
...I suppose I will cut the hoses and pull them through the engine bay. The hoses underneath the car have so many brackets that will take a while to accomplish and I may even have to get my car on jackstands to do this. Can you please point to the condenser? It seems that the left hose just connects from the decklid heatsink (is that the condenser?) and goes out the engine bay like the right side. Also there are many things in the left driver side wheel well to address but I suppose one thing at a time X_X Ok I have been up all night so I need to get some rest, hopefully I will be able to get back to you later today.
OK, here's a game plan (subject to be ignored or deviated from at any time upon your choosing ):

You will need to have your car elevated in order to remove the hoses from underneath, but I would still save them for last.

Here's what I would do (considering what you've told me):
1) Remove the left side hose from the condenser that is attached to the decklid (heatsink as you refer to it), and then remove the condenser from the decklid (easy to do).
2) For now, simply cut off as much of the barrier hoses as is possible in the engine compartment and leave them (for now).
3) If you want to proceed on the front of the car, the front condenser, brackets, the drier (in the left front wheel well) and hoses are all relatively straight forward.
4) I'd leave the evaporator (located in the smuggler's box) alone for now, just cut the hoses up front to tidy everything up.

Maybe these tips (and some sleep) will get you on your way again!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Keith, I went back again and took the refresher course on your Pelican post and see the parts to add. I think I got it now. thank you again, very much..
Old 09-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any parts I need to buy? Either for the A/C removal or backdating the heating. I should purchase it now so that by the time I get to it, the part will be here.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:24 PM
sus911
Track Day

I think I managed to get all the hoses out without cutting except for 1. Passenger (sorry for you left hookers- driver's side) hose from engine bay down next to rear wheel arch.
I have a photo of the bits I can email you if you want.
I took all the brackets off but put the screws and rubber washers/seals back in for safety.
It's quite tricky when you get to the front and start screwing with the plenum. I still haven't sorted that one out yet but I'm backdating heat with 993 HE's so different to stock exhaust and engine tin etc.
There's a great thread on the electrics which I've subscribed to. It de-mystifies the task of deleting the engine compartment blower in Carreras and how to modify the footwell blower circuit to take on the task of the deleted engine blower:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...t=258473&pp=20
good luck Oshin and wish me some, I still haven't finished either!
cheers,
Phil
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Oh my lord Phil, don't even start with circuits, I am an engineer and if its one thing I hate, its circuits. I am going to put up a diagram that I'll make on MS Paint showing what I have removed so far and what I have not removed.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Ok so I made a diagram. The dark blue items are things that I have already removed. The red items are things I have not yet removed and I need help on. If this doesn't immediately click and make sense to anyone let me know and I will hop downstairs and snap a few photos.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

do not attempt to remove the green round thingies, you will eventually need them.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Ha ha very funny doug. Well I found out where the other rear condenser line goes. It wraps across the driver side all the way to the front. I am afraid that undoing some of the bolt will make my floor pan drop, should I be concerned? I'll attach a picture...
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Nevermind I found out its ok to undo those bolts in the last picture, the spacers weren't a problem. Trying to get the hose out can be pretty difficult.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I am having trouble getting the really long pipeline that runs from the rear condenser to the front condenser out. I am wondering what these things in the front wheel well are. If I can have them identified and know whether I should remove them.....that would help in getting the pipeline out.
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

one is the washer fluid res. and the bottom picture is your fuel tank line. I believe on the top of the fender you will find a filler cap.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

in the top picture the top canister is the gasoline vapour recovery canister for the fuel tank , the bottom picture is your washer fluid tank . On my car i took the top canister out due to leaking fuel vapour lines and took about 3 lbs of dirt and silt out from behind the headlight assembly.

The thing in the bottom picture looks like your overflow funnel for gas or washer fluid ( drains the area where you fill it ) , it just drains to the ground.

On the vapour recovery tank you can see the hose on the bottom of it that goes to a fitting inside the fender well, that fitting comes out on the other side and goes off to a charcaol filter somewhere out by the engine on the right side of the engine bay, or ayt least one of them does , the other will go to the tank.
If you go to the Porsche web site you can download exploded diagrams of your whole car with great pictorials and part numbers.

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinf...e=MainFrameSet
Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Thanks glad to know what all that was. I have already removed most of the hoses......some were the BIGGEST PITA. But after a few hours of cutting and getting piece stuck in places, I busted out the hard core grease and really put some umph into it. I'll redraw a diagram with what I have done..... Again the items in red are those not complete and the items in blue are those that are completed. Please help me out so I can finish these last two items and move on to the heater backdate. THANKS!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Do you have any idea how many pounds you have removed?

Quick Reply: Fan Shroud and AC Unit Removal-----Easy?