Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fan Shroud and AC Unit Removal-----Easy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 PM
bourgeois911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oshin11
Eh I got over my virgin status, I am SO over it. I still don't like putting in a bunch of gadgets and things to boost performance, because frankly I didn't buy this car for performance. I could just drive my brother's G35 if I wanted to kill myself on the streets. However that being said, my wire covers from my distributor and looking really rough and I wouldn't mind replacing them. Plus, not to be a girl, but that engine looks so clean and shiny. Here's the hard part, I can't find any documentation on how the heck to even begin taking this thing apart to get the compressor and blowers off. I wouldn't want to jump into it without knowing step by step what it is that I have to do.
I just dove in, starting with the compressor and condenser, follow the hoses and take off anything attached to them. You'll find the drier in your left front wheel well and a belly condenser. Nothing tricky if I recall correctly, I left the evaporator in place because it seems like it was a real PITA.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I dunno if I am handy enough with my car to just start taking things apart like that. My main fear is that I get stuck and then have to bike 6 miles to class every day until its fixed. I mean I usually bike anyway but its a choice, it gets annoying if its a necessity.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Keith, your engine is now my wall paper on my computer at the office.

Is your sound mat removed completely?

It looks really nice to see the paint back there.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

So I have located the bolts that are probably the ones that need to be removed, however its pretty hard to see where the two lines from the compressor are going or coming from. I have to keep looking at it, I'll eventually figure it out.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it is the big chunk of iron you are after. the pump is the bigest issue. even if all you do is take the belt off. from what I understand alot of guys keep the lines in 'cause they are a pain.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

LOL i started taking the bolts off the AC compressor, all was fine. Then I tried to disconnect one of the hoses (larger diameter and closer to rear of the car of the two). It begin to hiss at me like a snake, I got scared and closed it back up since it smelled a little funny......freon? I knew I should have asked if there would be any pressure issues to deal with. Do I have to turn something off or disconnect anything before this project?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Now that is a sick engine. I think for that look I would give up my "bone stock virgin" statis in favor of the "lady of the night" look.
...and don't forget that the "lady of the night" likes to be driven hard (virgins ain't "all that" ) ... but I pamper her anyways. While I did take care of the cosmetics along the way, a "suspension refresh" is what initially led me down this $lippery $slope, and I learned a LOT about my car along the way (which was my intent in the first place). If I can do it, anyone can (along with the help of a Bentley manual, 101 Projects, and the wealth of knowledge and folks willing to assist both here and on Pelican. Thanks for the compliments on my "baby's picture" too!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

...Here's the hard part, I can't find any documentation on how the heck to even begin taking this thing apart to get the compressor and blowers off. I wouldn't want to jump into it without knowing step by step what it is that I have to do.
A Bentley manual is essential for me...diagrams, torque specs, etc. They are great (particularly for the Carreras)...get one ! You won't find "step-by-step" instructions anywhere, but it's pretty straight forward once you jump in.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Keith, your engine is now my wall paper on my computer at the office.

Is your sound mat removed completely?

It looks really nice to see the paint back there.
Thanks, my "baby" will be flattered! Yes, I removed it completely with a "partial engine drop", but getting that glue off is a real PITA!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

LOL i started taking the bolts off the AC compressor, all was fine. Then I tried to disconnect one of the hoses (larger diameter and closer to rear of the car of the two). It begin to hiss at me like a snake, I got scared and closed it back up since it smelled a little funny......freon? I knew I should have asked if there would be any pressure issues to deal with. Do I have to turn something off or disconnect anything before this project?
I admire your enthusiam, however... ! One thing I've learned to do (since I was an absolute novice when I purchased my car) was to read, research the archives, and ask questions BEFORE I jump in. It's trivial in this case (other than the R12 "epa freon *****" are now looking for you ), but just a caveat. A/C is one thing, but suspension, brakes, and many other components are not to be tackled without knowing the systems beforehand. Good luck!

ps: Given some time, I could probably think back and sort of give you a "step-by-step" guide...let me know.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Ok nevermind the last statements I made, I had insomnia and decided to put my time to good use and not watch TV. I went into the garage and opened up that line again and after 10 seconds it stopped hissing. I continued to take the compressor off and one of the pipelines that goes from the compressor to the decklid heatsink. However, the other line from the compressor went through the engine bay and all over the bottom of the car which made me quite discouraged and since it was 4AM I called it a night. I dont know how the heck to get the baseplate for the compressor off since two of the bolts are under the car in the worst spot. Further, the line that wraps around the car, I have no idea what to do with that. Keith I hope you have some input on those two issues so I can hopefully get that done tomorrow. I postponed moving to Santa Barbara until Sunday so I can get this done before I move. Please help Hope the pictures help.
Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

I'll get back to ya in just a bit. Don't get discouraged, we'll get ya through this...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KC911
I admire your enthusiam, however... ! One thing I've learned to do (since I was an absolute novice when I purchased my car) was to read, research the archives, and ask questions BEFORE I jump in. It's trivial in this case (other than the R12 "epa freon *****" are now looking for you ), but just a caveat. A/C is one thing, but suspension, brakes, and many other components are not to be tackled without knowing the systems beforehand. Good luck!

ps: Given some time, I could probably think back and sort of give you a "step-by-step" guide...let me know.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Yea I totally searched all over pelican and read other people's encounters with changing compressors and such but after 2 hours I hadn't gotten any greatly relevant info. I have a bent. man. as well. I always read up on stuff before I do anything but I find that the best way is if someone has just done the project themselves. People are the most useful source of info. Read my new post and tell me what you think. I would love to pick at your brain for 5 minutes over the phone if youre brave enough.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

...I would love to pick at your brain for 5 minutes over the phone if youre brave enough.
I'm not sure you're ready for 4 and a half minutes of silence ! I'd be glad to talk to you via phone later (if necessary), but first let me make a couple of suggestions. I've found these threads (both here and on Pelican) to be an invaluable resource, and we'll be adding to the knowledge base for others to use. Now for the specifics:

In your first picture, bolts #4 & 5 are indeed underneath your car, and due to the clearance with the muffler bracket, cannot be removed without removing the muffler (& bracket). If your muffler is original, that alone can be a PITA (rusted exhaust bolts, etc.), but let's not go there on this project. As I see it, you have two choices, leave that lower bracket in place for now (perfectly OK as an interim solution, and remove it later), or, if you back those two bolts out from underneath (they will not come out all the way, due to the muffler bracket), you can then cut the shafts of the bolts, and the a/c bracket can then be removed from above. As far as those lines go...it sounds as if your system still had a lot more R12 in it than mine did. I didn't have any leakage (that I recall) from any of the hoses when I removed them...I wouldn't worry about that. You have a decision to make...do you want to keep all the hoses upon removal? One option is to simply leave those hoses in place and tied out of the way (as many do), and tackle them later when you have more time. When I removed my complete system, I did leave it everything intact (so I could put it back on later if I decided to). That makes it a lot more difficult to remove the hoses (with the fittings attached). In hindsight, I know I'm never going to reinstall those ancient barrier hoses, and I would simply cut the fittings off and the hoses should pull through front of the engine compartment much easier. (If you do cut your hoses, keep them (for proper lengths) & the fittings (to be reused on new hoses) so you can install "good" modern hoses in the future if you desire. I now know I'm never going back. For now, go ahead an remove the left side hose from the condenser (if you haven't already) and the condenser itself is easy to remove. If you decide to cut your hoses, I'd simply cut the ends off in the engine compartment (for now), and not remove them from beneath your car (and up front) until later when you have more time (one thing leads to another, remember ). Let me know if I've missed anything, and what you inclinations are, and we'll go from here.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Last edited by KC911; 09-19-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I have pretty much 4 full days to work on this so I would not mind getting it all done. I won't be reusing these hoses, in fact I NEVER USE A/C even on new cars, I feel like I am kicking my car in the face when its on. I suppose I will cut the hoses and pull them through the engine bay. The hoses underneath the car have so many brackets that will take a while to accomplish and I may even have to get my car on jackstands to do this. Can you please point to the condenser? It seems that the left hose just connects from the decklid heatsink (is that the condenser?) and goes out the engine bay like the right side. Also there are many things in the left driver side wheel well to address but I suppose one thing at a time X_X Ok I have been up all night so I need to get some rest, hopefully I will be able to get back to you later today.

Quick Reply: Fan Shroud and AC Unit Removal-----Easy?