Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Steam Cleaned (Pictures Coming Tonight) But Now My Car is Sluggish!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Steam Cleaned (Pictures Coming Tonight) But Now My Car is Sluggish!

First of all, its been a long time since I've posted and its good to be back. I had a lot of problems to deal with and the last year has been a crazy rollercoaster for me but all is well now (I think haha). So after I did all the oil lines in my car and finally finished the turbo tie rods/wheel alignment my car has been running strong for a good 5 months with no problems. So I figured I would reward her with a nice bath. I took her down to a place that does engine steam cleaning in my area and told them to go at it. I watched black water drip down for about 30 minutes as they sprayed with a steam pressure hose. I will post pictures, it doesnt look breath-taking but its was amazing how much of the black gunk is gone. Plus he did the entire car (engine top, bottom, undercarriage, wheel wells, the whole bottom of the car) in about the time it took me to do one wheel well So he let me take some neat pictures and I drove off. However, my engine was making some funny noises kinda of like a put put put put noise. The sound was worse as I went from a stand still to 10 mph. Basically when I was engaging the clutch. This leads me to believe there might be water in my transmission? He had covered the intake snorkel but who knows maybe water in there? Distributor cap? Anyways I stopped to get food on the way home and when I got back to my car from the store it turned on much better and did lag much anymore, no major put put noise....it was driving pretty smooth again. Maybe the water evaporated? I dunno I am so confused. Any advice?

On a side note: I am changing my brake light/cruise control relay its definitely out. Changing tranny gear oil, putting a belly pan back in and bleeding my brakes. However, I think it would just be best to save myself the headache and let my mechanic do these nasty jobs for about 1.5 hours = 150 dollars. Am I just being a lazy bum? I'm moving out of town in 2 days and dont want to get stuck with my car not working.

Sorry I said way too much I hope you are still reading at this point.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome back oshin

sounds like water in the distributor to me mate...the "put put" would be the engine running on less than 5 cylinders. ususally clears up when the water dries.

a plastic bag over the dizzy is in order next time the car takes a bath
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Yea I wanted to tell the guy because I know that you should put a bag over the distributor and he put something but I think it may have just been a towel. Even so that doesnt explain the sluggish clutch.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshin11
sluggish clutch.
cant help you there, sorry
Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

It was probably just water somewhere but I bet the engine/tranny got so hot that it evaporated by the time my chinese food was ready haha. Man I would rather invest the 200 I would have to pay my mechanic for those odd jobs into a lift.....but I cant seem to find a good price on a small lift I could use in my garage at the University.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oshin11, as per our phone conversation just now refer to post "distributor cap /....." I bet it's the same problem I had.

oh, and it's good to have you back on the planet. good luck with Santa Barbara. Perfect time to mix UCSB and a Carrera.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Doug I posted on your distributor post, having major problems with that left screw.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Nevermind my distributor cap and rotor were changed 4000 miles ago. The rat bastard charged me 87.52 for the cap and 19.69 for the rotor. This was the guy I was so mad about when I originally joined rennlist. It's mechanics like this that make me thank my lucky stars that I found rennlist. Oh and lets not forget the 75.00 in labor that he charged. I poured over 2 grand at that shop, I felt like such a newbie.

Last edited by Oshin11; 09-18-2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: More Information
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

I say it's the dissy too. I did the same years ago on my bronco I drove then and had to dry it out and replace the cap and rotor.

You can use an electronic parts cleaner on the cap and rotor and lightly in the distributor housing - the guys that make PB make one that evaporates very quickly. You just don't want it going into the crankcase, although it will probably evaporate there too. You will probably also want to lubricate the distributor with the bosch grease after, as I figure the electronic parts cleaner will probably wipe that stuff right off of there.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

When I use to wash the engine in my Audi with CIS Motronic injection it would run like crap because water got in the connection to the coolant temperature sensor.

I doubt this is your problem.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

In my experience steam cleaning an engine on an older car only comprises all the old high pressure fuel lines.I brought a mint 76 911 a few years back and the PO owner had the engine steam cleaned to hide a oil leak.The first day I had it on the road after getting classic insurance and QQ plates the engine burst into flames in just a few minutes.I had a fire extinquisher in the car but by the time I got out of the car it was too late.Experienced porsche mechanics told me only a few leak would cause a engine to go up that fast.The CIS injection is a high pressure system so if a fuel line because porris an undetactable mist of gas will spray onto the hot engine.Maybe mine was just a freak accident but I really think it was the steam cleaning that did the car in.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

In addition to the dizzy, one other spot I have got water in my engine that caused the same put,put sound was a cracked boot on one of my injectors. It would dry out in a few hours but until then it made the same sound you describe.

Quick Reply: Engine Steam Cleaned (Pictures Coming Tonight) But Now My Car is Sluggish!