Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Should I supercharge my 3.4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 01:25 AM
TONY88COUPE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Should I supercharge my 3.4?

I was at a rally a couple weeks ago and saw a 993 that had a supercharge installed. The owner did the work himself for approx $1100.00. He said he gained 100hp. The install looked easy not alot of modifications. I did not have a chance to talk to the man, however it did perk my interest.

Does anybody have any personal experiance with this conversion on a 88?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:46 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a couple of prominent suppliers of blowers for Porsche motors. You'll find their ads in Excellence magazine. These kits are not cheap to buy, or install. Most of them require a lot of modifications that may not be readily apparent at a glance. There are a few people who have installed blower kits and post on the internet BBS. I don't recall any of them saying it was "easy".
Old 08-09-2001, 03:57 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Eleven hundred or eleven thousand? Most of the kits end up costing seven to thirteen grand before everything's done. And the cheaper you go, the sooner she's gonna blow.

Horsepower with reliability never comes cheap.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:08 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I have to fully support Jacks comments. I do not believe this 1100 dollars price tag. The people that I know who have done the supercharging mods have spent between 10 and 20K depending on the Porsche being supercharged. Engine mods are required on most Porsches as well. Brakes, suspension etc may also require some work.
If I could do my 964 for 1100 bucks I think we would all have supercharged Porsches.
A new DME cost more than this,
Ciao,
Adrian.
911C4
Old 08-09-2001, 10:47 AM
Lane
Intermediate

I have a '88 Targa that has a Paxton supercharger on it from SoK . It was installed by the PO in '91 for about $5k. When I bought the car it had approx. 96k miles on it and now has over 123300 miles on it, with absolutly no problems with it. I used a G-Tech on it and found that it was producing something like 300 hp at the crank [256hp at the wheel]. It's still very reliable and gets pretty decent gas mileage. There are other options from SoK in superchargeing which produce a lot more hp for a lot more money I'm sure. But they are very helpful, give'em a call.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:02 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by TONY88COUPE:
<STRONG>The owner did the work himself for approx $1100.00. </STRONG>
Hmmm .... $1100 sounds suspiciously like the labor charge for installing the Turbo Performance Center kit, as described in the most recent issue of Excellence. Maybe the guy was saying he saved $1100 by installing it himself? The supercharger kit in the Excellence article ran something like $6k, as I recall.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:51 PM
EuroSport
AutoX

Wink

Lane- I just talked with Paul Burch out at SoK! He is a very nice guy and seems to be quite knowledgeable. I have had an interest in supercharging for some time and I intend to supercharge my '87 with the Auto-Rotor (low boost) from SoK. It sounds like a good way to add the power I want, save a few bucks ($8k is better than $11-12k for a new 3.6L), and make this little car a sleeper!

I am actually planning on using a vintage race prepped Shorrock Supercharger on my '59 Austin Healey. No worries at all on this end! I have seen them work and work well!!

Old 08-10-2001, 10:20 AM
Lane
Intermediate

Hi Tom , what type belt drive did they recommend serpentine or v-belt? I have the v-belt and would much rather the serpentine belt drive . Longer belt life + less slippage and more boost.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by EuroSport:
<STRONG>Lane- ...I intend to supercharge my '87 ... save a few bucks ($8k is better than $11-12k for a new 3.6L
</STRONG>
If you sold your 3.2 you might be into
a 3.6 for less than 8K. Just a thought.
-Chris
Old 08-13-2001, 01:02 AM
EuroSport
AutoX

Talking

Lane- He mentioned using the serpentine belt drive for the A/C. I have a note about it, I doubt it has anything to do with power or the like. Probably a bit easier to deal with.

Chris- The reason I am thinking about supercharging my 87 is I want to keep is as stock as possible. I would like to be able to put it back to stock if need be. The S/C would be a lot easier to take off if I was selling the car. Also some of the components could be used on. . say a 993. This would be the next car I would want to get!

Here is a good site to check out specs on the systems!
Paul Weir

Quick Reply: Should I supercharge my 3.4?