Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Jump started with crossed cables... Whoops

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a factory alarm (The kind with the key in the door jamb) and no aftermarket alarm that I know of, though I do have a built in radar detector circa 1982 Superfox I believe. I hope this helps (actually, wa more than you could believe!)
Thanks again!
-E
Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Eric: Do me a favor, check the bulkhead near and around the main front fuse box. Do you see any relays, fastened with a screw, in that area? I've run across a number of cars that had aftermarket alarms, "removed", but when the battery is disconnected, some left behind equipment trips a relay, and - no fuel pump. Also, pull up the passenger side, footwell floorboard and see what's under it. On the fuse panel, what wire(s) are attached to position #6 counting forward from the windshield end of the fuse box. Also, have you removed that fuse and physically inspected both of its ends (it should be 25 amp)?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Hey Guys ...
One quick question .. does unpliugging it check the air flow switch ? should it not have to be jumpered to check it ? .. from an engineering safety stand point it does not make sense to have to have the pump run with the air flow switch disconected . I would think that it would be normally open and raising the plate would close it. There fore if I am reading things correctly when Eric disconected it he proved nothing .... if he had jumpered it and the pump sprang to life with the ignition on he wouldhave proven it was the switch.

I think we are VERY close to the solution ....
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

ice: Good and sensible thought, but that switch is very unusual in that when it's unplugged the pump runs with ignition. I couldn't count the number of first time in cars that I worked on where that switch had been left unplugged for whatever reason.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Wow that is interesting Pete and a little surprising..

I still think we are all around this issue and are very close. Eric does have factory alarm so I think we are close...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Eric: Do me a favor, check the bulkhead near and around the main front fuse box. Do you see any relays, fastened with a screw, in that area? I've run across a number of cars that had aftermarket alarms, "removed", but when the battery is disconnected, some left behind equipment trips a relay, and - no fuel pump. Also, pull up the passenger side, footwell floorboard and see what's under it. On the fuse panel, what wire(s) are attached to position #6 counting forward from the windshield end of the fuse box. Also, have you removed that fuse and physically inspected both of its ends (it should be 25 amp)?
Pete,
No, there are no signs of an aftermarket alarm in the car anywhere that I can see. Under the passenger side of the car, I removed the wooden kick panel to reveal a three red wire fitting, and nothing else. The sixth fuse is a 25 amp fuse with both ends intact. I also, for the heck of it tested it's continuity just to make sure, and all appears fine. There are red wires at both ends of the fuse, and all apprears normal.
-E
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

FWIW, does anyone know how to disconnect the factory alarm system. I never use it, and maybe it is the culprit. Just a guess...
-E
Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

1. I've never seen a schematic for a factory alarm; I've tried to get one on a few occasions, but was told that Porsche has never issued one. I guess that it could have been damaged by reversed current.

2. I'm really frustrated now because I just got my manuals out, and my current flow charts from '80-83 are missing (I haven't looked for them since I sold my shop in '99). I remember two things, but don't know if either is accurate for your car. At the risk of sending you along a bad path, I remember that some 911s have a speed limiter (just another black box), but I don't know if your car does. If it is fitted with one, you must remove the multi-guage to the left of the tach, and maybe the one at the left end of the instrument cluster. Above that last guage is the little black box, pull the harness loose and see if the car starts & runs. Make sure all other involved systems are connected! If the car runs, you'll be OK, but you won't be protected from an over rev. Also, an upper and lower wire on the fuel pump fuse normally indicates the presence of an aftermarket alarm??? I think that the only wire at that terminal should be red, and connect at the top. See if you can find a speed limiter (if it's zapped it will prevent the fuel pump from working), and I'll try to figure out a logical approach to checking system voltage.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just an idjit, but I'd be jumpering the fuel pump right about now, seeing if that gets the car running, and working backwards from there.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the alarm in the bentley book for the '84 (I know we are on an '83 but it may be the same, don't know) terminal 2 is a red wire "hot all the time" and terminal 7 red/blk and blk /red. it's also connected to the DME and a dozen other things...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

OK, here we go, I might have found something. I removed all of the HVAC stuff to access the alarm module and have been testing it per the Bentley manual. I have found that contacts 15 and 31 which, when a test light is attached should go off when the key is turned to the on position are in fact still lighting the test light. This may (I'm no electrical expert as you all know know by now)trip the relay and turn off the fuel pump...Have I stumbled on anything here?

-E
Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

so at this point it is just the fuel pump?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Yes, if I jump the relay, the pump runs and the car will start. If I don't jump it, it's dead as the Dodo.
-E
Old 09-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

is it going to be a simple relay after all that? http://www.automotion.com/productpag...&vehicle=18552 just a quick link
Old 09-13-2007, 11:26 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

The relays check out unfortunately. It's not a relay...
Hmmmmm...
-E

Quick Reply: Jump started with crossed cables... Whoops