Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Jump started with crossed cables... Whoops

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Jump started with crossed cables... Whoops

I have an '82 SC and while attempting to jump start, the cables were reversed for a split second (really a second or so...) Now, The car will turn over, start at full RPM and then dies after running for a second or two. Everything else seems normal...

All of the fuses under the hood (trunk) seem to be fine as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million in advance,
-E
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

I would try a fuel pump relay first i think it is the red one ( swap it with the balck one for testing. )

Rather lucky you don't have a dme I would say ....
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
I would try a fuel pump relay first i think it is the red one ( swap it with the balck one for testing. )

Rather lucky you don't have a dme I would say ....

Thanks, but there are more than one black one (I'm at work right now...) any particular one to swap with?
Thanks a million again!
-E
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Eric: You may need the help of a shop for this one. You could have zapped the Lambda ECU, the CD ignition box, or any number of other circuits in the car - not to mention aftermarket alarm systems, etc. All can cause your symptom...
Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Beep the horn, if the horn works use its relay. Its just a few relays forward of the fuel pump relay...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
glenncof
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you did not fry the weak battery ? I assume you did not start the car with wires cross so almost everything would have been out of the circuit.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

No, I did not start the car, but it did run after a jump start yesterday, which leads me to believe that the battery is not the problem. If I start the car without a battery (jumper cables to cables in the 911) then theoretically, it should run... Hmm, I'll try it as soon as I get home from work. Thanks again.
Any other ideas?
What is my worst case scenario dollars and cents wise?
Thanks a million again,
-E
Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

I just tried the relay trick, and no luck. I also measured the voltage across the contacts for the fuel pump relay (the red one) and with the ignition keyed on it measured 0.6v, so it appears that the CIS isn't sending power to the relay to pump fuel into the cylinders...The alternator appears to be working after some rudimentary testing...
All of the fuses seem to be fine as well. It certainly appears that the CIS is the culprit, but if I didn't turn the key, how could the CIS be affected?
If it is the CIS...Where does this lead me?
Thanks again!
-E

Last edited by EtheCarGuy; 09-11-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added some potntially useful information.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 AM
kplackmeyer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric,

Be sure and crank the motor while you check for voltage at the relay...the pump shuts off when you aren't cranking, so no volts.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the air cleaner off. Turn the key on (till dash lights come on)
Go down the back and lift the sensor plate.
If you hear the fuel pump start to run and the injectors sqirting fuel, then your fuel pump relay and CIS system should be OK.

Frank
Old 09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Default Bosch CIS Question

So...If it is indeed the CIS system, are there any particular parts I have to buy, or is it possible to buy one made for another type of car?
Thanks again,
-E

(I'm going to check the CIS as soon as possible.)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

it's time to open up a relationship with www.automotion.com
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

he has an 82 so he doesn't have a brain .. okay that didn't quite come out right ..... but try Franks sugestion first, lift the sensor plate and see if you hear the pump run .. that would tell you if you have fuel .. when you turn the ignition on do oyu hear a high pitched whine coming from the cd box ? this is the ignition box atth very rear of the car on the left, , you should hear it , if you don't this is your culprit ..
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 AM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

A friend of mine let me borrow a CIS unit from another '82 SC and after removing the seat and swapping boxes, I still experienced the same starting issue. I removed the Air box cover and noticed that there is a little oil/gas/petroleum product residue (thin coating). When I lifted the plate up, no audible pump noise. I checked the voltage in the socket for the fuel pump relay, and there was no voltage. Hmmmm.... The fuse is good as well. This leads me to think that it might be a problem with the air flow sensor plate in the airbox. Does this make sense? If so, I imagine that this is better than having to replace the CIS box. Maybe I'm nuts, I certainly don't have a brain. Conveniently I was standing behind the door when they were being handed out.

Again, thanks for any assistance. I am a bit frustrated with this, not to mention that it was clearly self inflicted.

Regards,
-E

As an aside, I measured the voltage again, and it was in fact 0 in the CORRECT sockets of the relay (Refer to the brainless comment again, it really seems fitting)
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Eric

What I meant to say was 78 - 83 are SCs , as far as I know these cars do not have a dme ( brain ) that did not come out until the carrera 3.2 . I think you were looking at the oxygen sensor control but Pete would know for sure.

Just to reclarify a couple of things.

When you lifted the sensor plate was the ignition on ? If so I would tend to think you are right. See the thread on "sc cold start issue" I think it is called . There is an excellent explanation on the fuel pump relay. If your car is starting then quickly stalls I think you are right and it has something to do with that sensor as that sensor takes over once the car is started as a safety to turn off the fuel pump if the engine stalls.

Did you confirm you hear the whine from the rear of the car with the ignition on ? if your car initially starts I would doubt this is the problem but it the most " electronic" part on the car and be susceptable to a spike of some kind.

Also do you have an alarm of any kind that might kill the fuel pump ?

Quick Reply: Jump started with crossed cables... Whoops