Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Correct Spring Plate Angle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Spring Plate Angle?

I've done some searching but surprisingly cannot find any info on this.

Now that I'm half done with installing my Neatrix bushings on the spring plates, I'm getting ready to re-index the rear torsion bars.

I'm installing 29mm t-bars and I'm looking to go with Euro ride height.

I've used this calculator... http://rennlight.com/cgi-bin/spring.cgi

And guesstimating my weight at 2,800 lbs. (I have a targa without AC) it's telling me the spring plate angle should be between 22 - 23 degrees.

Can anyone give me a feel if this is right or wrong? I don't want to do this twice...like I did on my 944.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matt,
I have been keeping a record of information that I think I will be using on my car. It's a 76 911S.

Euro ride height I have as 25.5 inches measured from the ground up to the bottom of the front wheel arch and 25 inches up to the bottom of the rear wheel arch.
I have also penned in an angle of 34 degrees for Euro and 39 degrees for stock USA.

You know that you have to set the car up so that the door sills are level and then set the spring plate angle?
Do it at 34 degrees, sit it back on the ground and roll her around a bit, have a look at it, check the fender measurement, and adjust as necessary.
Do you know that the splines at each end of the T bar are different and allow for finer adjustment by going one way with one end and the other way with the other end??

Frank
Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Frank,

Don't forget, I'm going from stock (24.1mm) to 29mm so I have to reduce the angle due to the stiffer springs and then reduce it some more for the lower ride height. My current angle with the stock torsion bars was 35 degrees (the eccentrics were also dropped all the way down). So I think 34 degrees would put me way too high with 29mm torsion bars.

Also...just for your reference. You don't have to get the car level on the jack stands. If you take an angle measurement off the door sill, you can add or deduct that from the angle of your spring plates.

I'm aware of the spline differences on each end. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Sorry Matt,
They were all that I had and seeing that no one had responded I thought I'd pass it on.

Originally Posted by arbeitm
Frank,

Don't forget, I'm going from stock (24.1mm) to 29mm so I have to reduce the angle due to the stiffer springs and then reduce it some more for the lower ride height. My current angle with the stock torsion bars was 35 degrees (the eccentrics were also dropped all the way down). So I think 34 degrees would put me way too high with 29mm torsion bars.
I guess unless someone who has this combination chimes in with an angle, you just have to use the one you've calculated and go for the "trial and error method". That's the method I use for sex!!

[QUOTE=arbeitm;4542625]Also...just for your reference. You don't have to get the car level on the jack stands. If you take an angle measurement off the door sill, you can add or deduct that from the angle of your spring plates./QUOTE]

I was aware of that method. When I did mine, say .....5 years ago, I only had access to a sirit level and my old engineers protractor. Seeing that the rear was supported on stands, I found it easier just to lift the front on the trolly jack till the sill I was working on was level. that way my tiny brain only had to deal with the angle that I read on the protractor

I have since bought a digital protractor which I will use when I next do my ride height. I actually bought it to do my camber and caster

Good luck with the ride height and be sure to post before and after pics.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

I think Frank has the idea .. you can sit around all day throrizing wweights and spring rates ,,, or you can set it , drop it , measure it and readjust it . I think the best plane is to just reservea weeekend for this and take your time and enjoy yourself ...
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Exactly.

I ballparked it, and it took all of an extra hour or so to actually frig around with the rear (front was pretty simple in comparison).

I think I adjusted... ~5 degrees or so from stock to the 29mm rears (???????). I'd swear I discussed with my ride height thread around 7/4/07...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:21 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

when lowering can you just pull it out and hold it in the current position then just rotate one spline lower and put it back in or doesn't it work that way?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

You can also make sure you set the spring plate in the middle so you will have SOME adjustment ! . I don't really know how you could turn it just one spline if you can't see the rod... it is probabaly by feel
Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

It seems to me mine was in the 23 degree range, but that is off the top of my head. I can see if I made some notes somewhere tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spence88mph
when lowering can you just pull it out and hold it in the current position then just rotate one spline lower and put it back in or doesn't it work that way?
You can do that, but it may be too much, so you may need to go up a notch from the outside.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I looked at my notes, I can't decipher. I lowered to about 24 1/2" fender height with 29mm bars, and it may have been 25.5 net degrees (23.5 visual +2 degree body angle) that I used. Maybe.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

I think when I do this tomorrow or Saturday, I'm just going to go for around 22.5 degs and hope for the best.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

You can do that, but it may be too much, so you may need to go up a notch from the outside.
Thanks Matt, I'll see how I go this weekend.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Today's the day.

The springs plate are ready to go. Neatrix bushings are installed (why am I thinking it's going to be a PITA to get these things in the hole with the new bushings.) And spring plate adjustment is set to the middle position so I have adjustment up or down.

I guess I'm going to go with around 23 degress and hope I get close to 25" wheel well height.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

I did the front and rear torsion bars today.

Everything worked out pretty good. I have to do some adjusting tomorrow...my left and right ride heights are different. I need to up on the left side about 1/4" - 1/2". And I need to drop on the right side about 1/2". Then I'll be at about 25" in the rear. I still need to drive the car to settle it and get the correct measurements too.

But....what the hell is up with this???

Quick Reply: Correct Spring Plate Angle?