Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

carpets, rear seat bottoms, sound pad, door pockets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007 | 10:41 PM
Andy Antipas
Intermediate

Default carpets, rear seat bottoms, sound pad, door pockets?

Today I was giving the interior a thorough cleaning on my '79 SC and I have a couple of questions.

1. How were the carpets under one's feet originally secured? The sills, footwells, and rear are glued on my car. While the remaining areas where we put our shoes show no signs of glue or fasteners?

2. I removed the rear seat bottoms and found what looks like steel wool or something similar between the foam pad and the carpet? What is/was that for? I'm thinking I need to replace it with something else and was going to use some high density foam?

3. I removed the seat backs and there is some nylong staps attached to the back of them. What were they for?

4. I also removed the rear vinyl covered trim board, and there is a sound deadening pad (I think) that is sagging. Are there alternative pieces of material that one could use? Is it possible to resecure the old piece?

4. Card board door pockets. Mine are in fair condition. Other than finding good used ones or fiberglass replacements, has anyone been able to rejuvinate what they have?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2007 | 11:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

1 - the rears don't fasten down , the fronts have little leather straps that go at the very front. the hole in the mat goes over a loop and the strap goes through thte loop to keep it in place.

2. Steel wool ? not sure , mine was just carpet and some sound deadening ( 78 sc )

3- they hold the seats in the up right position , there should be a stud on the rear shelf area to keep them up .

4- I reglued mine with contact cement no problem. but replaement is available I would imagine at a fabbric outlet.

5- tough call , ususully they just wear out .. and have to be replaced , The Targa ones some times get it rougher due to leaks.
Old 09-07-2007 | 11:20 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

What is up with this? I have carpet that looks to be about two weeks old all around the sides and up to the rag top, but floormats front and back that don't stay in place and look five years old. why are they not glued into place?

Quick Reply: carpets, rear seat bottoms, sound pad, door pockets?