Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I replaced the front brakes and rotors on my '88 Carrera over the weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I replaced the front brakes and rotors on my '88 Carrera over the weekend...

Everything went very smoothly. The most difficult part was removing the dust/grease covers for bearing and rotor removal. Those boogers were really jammed in there.

I also had a caliper piston that was stuck/difficult to compress. I was able to use a C clamp and wood block to free it. No major issues noticed with this/no further problems.

The brakes feel fantastic! The wheel bearing adjustment solved a small problem that I was experiencing. My car would "dance" or wander a short amount from side to side when driving on a flat surface at high speed. I can attribute that to wheel bearing looseness?

The Bentley manual was handy. The whole procedure was very easy. I recommend this as a DIY project for even the most inexperienced shade tree mechanic.

On to the next project.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What brand parts did you use? Where did you get them? I am looking forward to doing this, but it looks like it's not gonna be soon. the drilled Zimmermans look good.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

get Porsche rotors - they perform good; not just look good

some like to replace the pins & springs while doing this...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM
gunlover05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tone40
The most difficult part was removing the dust/grease covers for bearing and rotor removal. Those boogers were really jammed in there.
I used a 2" exhaust clamp ($2) on my covers and it was totally easy! saw it on one of the forums...put the clamp on the shallow groove and pry off with a screwdriver on the clamp....would have been really hard without it...
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Gunlover beat me to it: the 2" clamp is the ticket.

If you're bearings were that loose to make you wander....well, that is just plain scary.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
rickdm
Racer

Ed, I am about to do the same thing. I have 928 S4 front calipers with 930 rotors. The factory rotors were $420 each! These are two piece rotors that were only made for the '79-'80 930, so I guess Porsche feels like they have the right to bend you over on them. I ended up buying new custom hats with Brembo rotors from Steve Weiner for only a little more. These things are really a work of art. I am glad to hear it was not that difficult to replace them, though everyone tells me that getting that dustcap off is a bear.

rickdm
Old 08-30-2007, 11:50 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Douglas, I used OEM Zimmerman rotors from Performance Products. I do not remember the

price off the top of my head. But, they were not expensive.

I used Mintex pads (1st try). I used bearings from my local auto parts store. They pressed the inners, raceways and seals for me.

I do occassional autocross events and a lot of spirited driving. No track events planned.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdm
Ed, I am about to do the same thing. I have 928 S4 front calipers with 930 rotors. The factory rotors were $420 each! These are two piece rotors that were only made for the '79-'80 930, so I guess Porsche feels like they have the right to bend you over on them. I ended up buying new custom hats with Brembo rotors from Steve Weiner for only a little more. These things are really a work of art. I am glad to hear it was not that difficult to replace them, though everyone tells me that getting that dustcap off is a bear.

rickdm
Ouch, that is big $$. I went with the Pro-Braking setup- 993 calipers all around, with adapters in the front, and remachined mount holes in the rear. I use Willwood rotors (32mm X 309mm) in front on adapters, I think they're only $75 each. The rear uses the stock rotors, although with a little grinding on the calipers, I could go to 930 rears...I went to 4 pot calipers all around for probably $1400 including the front rotors and adapters.

Use the muffler clamp on the dust covers-it's painless.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
rickdm
Racer

$75 each! Now that seems like a reasonable price for rotors. I know on my Miata you just buy the NAPA rotors for $30 each. of course with the Miata if you need more than the dinky little brakes that it comes with then you are just braking too hard

rickdm

Quick Reply: I replaced the front brakes and rotors on my '88 Carrera over the weekend...