Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Let it warm up or drive it right away?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve: That's pretty cool - it takes about 20 seconds to put on the safety belt and select a gear!!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 PM
DARISC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
DARSIC, you must be an engineer......
I love ya Bro! Now gimme your fckunig beer!

Nah - I'm a looney artist who at a very young age became atuned to the sounds, smells and feel of internal combustion engines and manual trannys being operated the way they were designed and want (they ARE living things, you realize) to be operated.

The Porsche air/oil cooled flat six is special, but it's still basically just a reciprocating, gas powered engine like all the rest. All the common sense considerations apply as they do to all engines/transmissions.

Are you an engineer, showering me with such a compliment of which I am so educationally undeserving?

Cheers,

David
Old 08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by DARISC
I love ya Bro! Now gimme your fckunig beer!

Nah - I'm a looney artist who at a very young age became atuned to the sounds, smells and feel of internal combustion engines and manual trannys being operated the way they were designed and want (they ARE living things, you realize) to be operated.

The Porsche air/oil cooled flat six is special, but it's still basically just a reciprocating, gas powered engine like all the rest. All the common sense considerations apply as they do to all engines/transmissions.

Are you an engineer, showering me with such a compliment of which I am so educationally undeserving?

Cheers,

David
I studied ME in college and built a few engines; so not officially or professionally. But just like most everyone else on this forum, we have knowledge of engines that far exceed the average person, even if it's single-digit percentages of what Steve and Peter and like-kind Rennlisters.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm with Pete (and Steve and...) on this one...

Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
dvkk
Advanced

It is a well known fact that the most wear happens when an engine is cold. Driving the car makes the engine warm up faster than idling. Why would you want to maximize the wear by idling the engine?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

I usually just warm it up enough that the idle settles out , about 10 - 15 seconds , then by the time I back it out of the driveway on to the road I am ready to go .....
Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by dshepp806
I give her 30-45 seconds max, stationary, Then she's on the road.....I keep her no higher than 3K RPMs until I reach 148 degrees,..then she sees nothing above 3900 RPMs until I reach operating temp...then we (both) go to the "other" side...

........together...

Best,
Your ride looks great since you reinflated it. Did you go with helium to add lightness?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DARISC:

I've been lazy in fixing this issue...you were my incentive to deal with it...so I gave it a shot.

...thank you for your inspirational observation.............no helium,..just IfranView!!!!

Now I need to render another view, as the rear window wiper is LONG GONE!! Much cleaner lines.

..I must get to work with the camera...

Best,
Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
red67
Racer

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
Pete Zimmerman's book recommends start and drive, BUT keep revs below 4000 until the temperature comes into the operating range.
+1
i do this religiously i think petes advice is spot on from my (little) experience.
letting older cars idle to warm also soots plugs in my experience unless they are mixed incredibly lean - they are designed to be driven (hard after reaching operating temperature)
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by dshepp806
DARISC:
no helium,..just IfranView!!!!
Cool! I stupidly used a can of Irfanview once without reading the instructions. Cost me a clutch & tranny rebuild from all the hard launches I had to do to stretch her back into shape.

Uh oh! Douglas Bray's gonna reprimand me now.

Last edited by DARISC; 11-26-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

For another take, I was at a conference where Click and Clack appeared (public radio's Car Talk).

Their take, too, was to idle the engine just long enough to get some oil circulating in the top end, then drive away, keeping the revs low.

When asked if that applied to North Dakota in the dead of winter, the reply was "we'd recommend you move." But then again, -20F isn't P-car weather, is it?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What was the original Question? oh,ya....start it, back it out of the shed and down the driveway, get out and close the gate, baby it down the street in first....yep, I agree with everyone.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

And finally: even though the oil pressure gauge may read a little high at cold idle, I don't think oil is getting to some of the upper-end engine components like cams, and valve-guides, etc. You've got to run the engine above idle to really squirt the oil where it needs to go. What gets built a lot on these engines? top end.

I start it, roll it out my garage at idle, close the garage door, (okay ... with the remote .... I'm lazy), fasten my seat-belt, and start out no higher than 3K RPM driving. Total time at idle: maybe 45-seconds to 1.25 minutes. I'll drive soft on the throttle and no more than 3500-rpm until 180+ degrees. At 190+ I'll drive it ... well .... like a Porsche!

Years of Volkswagens (and not just a few engine rebuilds) taught me to idle air-cooled German engines just long enough to get the oil through one complete circulation cycle ... then drive it.

just my 2-Pesos.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I've always followed the same procedure on all my cars.
Start up and go driving lightly until the proper Temp is reached.

Only time I would let it idle a bit longer then usual in the winter when I am scraping ice off the glass (non Porsche) with the defroster on full blast and waiting for the windshield to clear.

John
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"start out no higher than 3K RPM driving."

- No, that is the exact opposite of what you should do - keep it higher than ~3k and lower than ~4500 -- this will minimize lugging and stress on the valve train.

Quick Reply: Let it warm up or drive it right away?