Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Change Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Russ In Vegas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Question...

Howdy - Once again, thank you everyone for answering my dopey questions - Here's one more...

I'm changing the oil in my '83 911 and when I removed the drain plug on the bottom of the engine, these three things(photo) came out and ended up at the bottom of the oil drain pan. I'm looking at them, and I'm guessing that the way I have them layed out is the way they go back... can anyone please verify this for me(and which way is up)?

Also, I'm looking at the book '101 Projects For Your Porsche 911'. The book shows that on the bottom of the engine is a circular disk with 8 bolts that has the drain plug, and that you should remove the 8 bolts to get to and clean the 'Sump Screen'. My car doesn't have this circular disk with the drain plug, just the drain plug on the engine case itself. Is there a Sump Screen Somewhere that I need to look for?

Lastly(whew), can anyone recommend an online service manual, or at least which books I should get to go along with my car?

Thanks once again,

Russ
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah, you removed the pressure relief valve, not the drain plug. If your car is a late '83 it won't have the sump plate/screen that you mention. The drain plug is approximately in the middle of the crankcase, and faces to the left.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Russ In Vegas
Instructor

Would this be it(the oil drain plug)? Also, do I put the Pressure Relief Valve back in as per the layout of the photo, with #1 going in first?

Russ
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Russ,
WAIT for the expert here on your particular engine. I think that #3 would be inserted first, but I am not certain! Do not chance that I am wrong. Others will chime in.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Russ In Vegas
Instructor

Yes - #3 goes in first, then #2 and #1... I found the diagram on Pelican's webite... Put it together and it works fine - Thanks!

Still overheating, think it's a clogged cat - dropping it off Monday to Carl's Place here in Vegas -

Russ
Old 08-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Russ: Please say "HI!" to Carl for me, I haven't talked to him in years!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Russ In Vegas
Instructor

Carl retired several years ago and sold the shop to Tony Mazzagatti, who's a super-nice guy and always has the time to come to the phone and answer questions. He's been real helpful, and like you guys(and gals) on this forum, has given me TONS of free advice.

Carl's is the ONLY place in Vegas to take your Porsche -
Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Thank you for passing that along, Russ. I hope that Carl is in good health and enjoying having clean fingernails!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 PM
ga
Advanced

Russ, I had the exact same situation about a yr ago. Put it back together, and all is good, so you should be okay.
ga

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question...