Fresh Air Blower Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:43 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh Air Blower Parts

Through an apparent misunderstanding with the shop that was doing the alignment, etc., I'd mentioned that I was going to be removing the AC System (compressor / bracket & condensor already removed), so the evap, hoses, front condensor, etc. would be coming out for weight savings.

Mech at the shop asked if he removed the parts could have have those parts, I said fine, saves me doing everything, blah blah.

Well, turns out the smuggler's box is now empty. So, WHAT parts do I need to demand back, PN's, etc., - is this just a blower assembly, or is there anything else? I have wiring pigtails hanging there, and a large duct hose coming from the bottom & going out the back too (not connected).

I discovered this while cleaning the front trunk for a car show this morning (saw he took the condensor blower, decided to check the box & found it empty too).

Thanks. Note to self, do it yourself next time.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,713 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Not exactly sure, but I believe that the AC blower in the smuggler's box also contains the evaporator.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:20 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I thought the evap was in the driver's front fenderwell(?)
Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Gee, now I wish I had my Bentley manual in front of me, but I went to PelicanParts and found the following diagram. It appears the entire assembly is located in the smuggler's box:
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

wow I bet you could have gotten some good coin for that stuff . To each his own I guess as I like to keep my car as original as possible. Why would you not have kept the stuff in case you sell your car ?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
wow I bet you could have gotten some good coin for that stuff . To each his own I guess as I like to keep my car as original as possible. Why would you not have kept the stuff in case you sell your car ?
A lot of people take out the AC stuff to save weight, and rightly so - huge weight savings. Agreed, these parts are worth money, and even if you don't have the time to sell it, one could put an ad in Ebay saying "take it or leave it, no guarantees, no time to answer questions...everything selling for $400."

It would sell.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Your smuggler box should be empty once the A/C is removed. Old 911s use a divorced A/C system. (The A/C runs on its own components and controls.)
Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ok, so now I turn on the cold air fan & I get nothing. I want something coming through to keep the windshield clear.

This is my only point with the issue of the box being empty. Maybe I'm missing something here. Is there a fan-only I can have them put in (at their cost) to accomodate what I want?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ice - agreed on the coin. I'm a little one-way on stuff like this sometimes. I also looked at it as being an opportunity to get on a shop's good side with parts I had never used / wouldn't be using. As for resale value, yes, I weighed (no pun intended) the resale vs. weight savings. I still have the compressor, bracket, bolts, & tail condenser.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:52 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Ok, so now I turn on the cold air fan & I get nothing. I want something coming through to keep the windshield clear.

This is my only point with the issue of the box being empty. Maybe I'm missing something here. Is there a fan-only I can have them put in (at their cost) to accomodate what I want?....
Do a search over on Pelican, and you should be able to find some threads that will help you out (i.e. re-ducting fresh air into the cabin after removing the smuggler's box blower). I haven't done it, so can't comment...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

This is my only point with the issue of the box being empty. Maybe I'm missing something here. Is there a fan-only I can have them put in (at their cost) to accomodate what I want?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ice - agreed on the coin. I'm a little one-way on stuff like this sometimes. I also looked at it as being an opportunity to get on a shop's good side with parts I had never used / wouldn't be using. As for resale value, yes, I weighed (no pun intended) the resale vs. weight savings. I still have the compressor, bracket, bolts, & tail condenser.
The fresh air blower is separate from the AC system. If it used to work and now doesn't, there may be a loose wire, fuse or problem switch somewhere.

The fresh air blower is not in the smugglers' box, but located in the trunk towards the dash. You have to uncover the cardboard shield and then you'll see a black round box with vent hoses attached. My fresh air blower motor was shot and I replaced it. It's a pretty easy procedure, but I would use a voltmeter on the motor and switch first to test for 12V.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Thanks man!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Thanks man!
Let me know how it goes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Murphy's law: You said you replaced the blower in the trunk.....my 87 starts to squeal periodically when the blower kicks in. I've talked to some other 87-88 owners and they have the same complaint. Which blower is it that does all that squealing that it obviously coming form the front dash area?? It starts when you activate the dash control that shows three marks for different level blower speeds. Is there a way to lube the bushings to keep them from squealing? (doubt that they'd be bearings). Or is it replacment time?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Murphy's law: You said you replaced the blower in the trunk.....my 87 starts to squeal periodically when the blower kicks in. I've talked to some other 87-88 owners and they have the same complaint. Which blower is it that does all that squealing that it obviously coming form the front dash area?? It starts when you activate the dash control that shows three marks for different level blower speeds. Is there a way to lube the bushings to keep them from squealing? (doubt that they'd be bearings). Or is it replacement time?
I'm afraid it's replacement time. When you see how the motor is built, I think you'll understand. These motors are cheaply made. I've heard of people rebuilding them, but it's very time consuming and ultimately results in the same symptom returning.

I bought the motor only (without the assembly), which was $100 for a new one from PelicanParts. I think the entire assembly is $25-$300, but I only needed the motor.

Yep, those sliding switches are definately the fresh air blower. The AC blower is separate and the heating system is also separate (with 3 blowers).

Quick Reply: Fresh Air Blower Parts