Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Driving the 911 vs 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We all get that smile and have the same voice in our head. Some of us....have lots of voices.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, THIS is where the wheels fall off the wagon, asking about oil recommendations.

Here's what my 84 manual states for weights vs. ambient temps:

http://www.sinclairmfg.com/fred/pors..._oil_grade.pdf

As for TYPE of oil, if you're on synthetic, and you don't have a leak issue, I'd stay there. The 15-50 M1 is one of the ones a lot of people will give a thumbs up to.

I've been adding GM E.O.S. break-in additive (now discontinued, I have a few cases of it on the shelf) to my conventional oil to increase the Zinc & Phosphorus levels to inhibit cam wear, etc. per some of the board Gurus; Previous owner used Kendall GT-1; I used Castrol GTX 20W-50 when I first got the car and noticed some white milky sludge on the drain plugs. I do 20W-50 in the hotter months here in New England, and 10W-40 in the colder months. I did Kendall with the E.O.S. on the last 2 changes, and the milky residue is gone. The old Kendall formula is now Brad Penn Racing's oil, and Kendall is now just the same as anything else out there basically. I tried getting Brad Penn's attention to send me up a case or two, and never got a reply from them.

I have some issues with Mobil 1 after seeing the DOHC setup on my SHO drip dry in 2 weeks with M1 - the oil just didn't "cling" to the cams for startup protection unless the car was started more frequently than that. This was a number of years ago, and I always had great luck with GTX, which is why I tried that. There are those here who say GTX is the Devil's Spawn when it comes to the 911 though.

Anyway... Find a good oil, change it regularly, look into the formulations re: additives if you want. As for being low, better a little low than overfilled! Watch the consumption per XXXX miles, that's a good indicator of stuff going on with the engine too (and also how you drove it, startup or decelleration smoke, etc.).

Best of luck with yours & get those pics up soon!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

I am still awaiting pics.

Did you end up picking it up in Canada or did you go south for your purchase?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Brent,

Way to go and have fun with the 911. What was your son's reaction?

Mike
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a winner!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Neri-Man,

It was a local Porsche, owned by a fellow who's had Porsches for 20+ years. Better condition than the others I looked at, and at more of a reasonable price, I thought.

I'll try and get the pix up tomorrow or next day, and apologize by announcing my acquisition w/out immediate photos. And I do think the car is worthy of photos.

I have to apologize to any statements I made, publicly or privately about how ugly I thought the targa-top cars. This one's a targa, and while I truly like the look of the coupe, the targa has it's own charm... doesn't it? Anyway, from inside the car, I like the option of having the top off. Got a bit too much sun, in fact, on Saturday from an afternoon with the top off. Yeah, I like the targa much more, now that I have one.

My son's reaction? Heh heh heh heh haaaaah. You shoulda seen the kid. He was waiting outside the mall, with his girlfriend, when I pulled up to get them. It's about 10:30 pm, so little traffic, few cars around. He sees me approaching slowly. Not knowing it's me--he's just noticing the car! When I get up close, he sees me in the car, and has a look on his face like as if to say "what's going on?"

I roll the window down, and say "You like the new car?" He says, excitedly, "Did you buy it?!" I tell him, "It's ours. I just got it." All he could say was "Awesome." And oh how eagerly he jumped in. They both did. He was so excited. He was almost drooling on himself (better on his Levis than on my leather seats!).

You know, every parent wants their child's first word to be "mom" or "dad". A bit of an ego contest, perhaps, for some parents. But it was with some pride that my son's first word was "truck." Not that I'm into trucks, but, damn, it's close. The first gift he ever chose for me was a folder adorned with pictures of sports cars. He must have been all of 3 years old. I have that thing stored away with other precious objects. My son, I think, is destined to be a car guy, and so his enthusiasm for this Porsche, I believe, is genuinely heart felt. He could hardly believe me when I urged him to hurry up and get his learners permit -- that I take it as a solemn obligation that his drivers education will not be all it can be--all it should be, without the experiencing good car. A truly great car in the history of sports cars.

I apologize for raving all sentimental here. But you guys know how it is, I'm sure.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for your ongoing comments.

Oh...the 944. Heheheh. Yeah, I'll continue to admire those things, but I'm glad I got the 911.

Actually, I'm thinking that when my son graduates college in ... 5 years, I'd like to get him a nice 944 as a graduation present. Building on the father-son bonding around a shared interest.

Ok, now that is all for now.

-Brent
Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Brent,

Congrats on getting the Targa

I felt the same way at first, I like the looks of the Coupe but the extra headroom in the Targa. Driving home yesterday in 75 degree weather with the top off was pure nirvana

John

Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Ya, the targa may look a little different when it has the top on but as soon as the top comes off there is something so right about that car.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Default at long last...

Ok, Finally have some photos to post. With apologies for my tardiness. Car's a bit dirty, after I drove out to Banff this afternoon. Hopefully you can appreciate what a cr@ppy time I had, driving my 911 in Rockies today....

Hope these pix don't turn out to be too small....
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Be-u-ti-ful!

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
after I drove out to Banff this afternoon. Hopefully you can appreciate what a cr@ppy time I had, driving my 911 in Rockies today....
Ya, I feel your pain, it's just got to suck driving through the rockies on a beautiful sunny afternoon....................

By the way, why is your top still on? The rules for driving a targa or convertible are rather simple.

If it's raining, just drive faster.
If it's cold, just drive faster....with the heater on.
If it's sunny and warm, well drive faster and enjoy it.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Re Rules of the road: LOL.

I was supposed to go for a flying lesson at 1. It was threatening to rain, so I left the top on, incase it filled up like a bathtub. Anywho, the instructor had a head cold and cancelled on me, so no way I was just gonna turn around and go home. I thought I heard those mountains call my name. How could I refuse. S'pose I coulda taken the top off. It sure is fun driving with the top off.

Thanks for your comment on the car. It sure is nice to have my very own 911 to have and to hold.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 PM
old man neri
Drifting

I was supposed to go for a flying lesson at 1.
How far into the training are you?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:44 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

I think there are 3 or 4 lessons left in ground school. Oh, and 1 or 2 I have to make up.

So far none of my in-plane bookings have resulted in getting me into the air. My instructor seems to be a sickly fellow these days. 3 cancellations in a row! I'm booked to go up tomorrow at 8 am, but I'm not counting on it. Heheh. Better drive the 911 out to the airfield again. Oh Pleeeezzz be a nice day, if not for flying....
Old 09-23-2007, 12:02 AM
old man neri
Drifting

I think there are 3 or 4 lessons left in ground school. Oh, and 1 or 2 I have to make up.

So far none of my in-plane bookings have resulted in getting me into the air. My instructor seems to be a sickly fellow these days. 3 cancellations in a row! I'm booked to go up tomorrow at 8 am, but I'm not counting on it. Heheh. Better drive the 911 out to the airfield again. Oh Pleeeezzz be a nice day, if not for flying....
That's awesome. Great stuff.

Ya, get a new instructor....lol. I remember my old instructor. Both of us where on the same level, which is to say way out there in left field. He never canceled on me. I remember this one time, every other flight that day with every other instructor was canceled due to bad winter weather. The two of us were the only ones stupid enough to go up and do some training. Probably some of the best training I did. Jokes aside, the only advice I can give you is to try a bunch of different instructors until you find the right one. Example; It has been many years since I have flown with him, yet I still go over to his place to have dinner with his wife and kids or go over to help him do some reno on his house. I think he uses me as cheap (free) labour...lol.

Good luck with both those super fun endeavours you have going on.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:24 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Jack pot!

Man, what a delightful surprise that you share my other unrealized lingering childhood passion-flying. I'll take your sage advice, and you can count on the fact that I'll be back asking for more!

I wonder if flying in the mountains sucks as much as porsche driving? ;-)

Quick Reply: Driving the 911 vs 944