Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo, FTY,

That's...that was a nice looking 944!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM
veggiecar300
Intermediate

I bet you could get an '89, '90, '91 911 for $25K. In the list below, there is a Carrera 4 in your pricerange.

links (for what their worth - I didn't do any research on these):

Hemmings Motor News Classifieds - Porsche by price
Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Thanks for the link.

Cars in the US are often priced lower, and with some consistency that helps me get an idea of what they are generally worth.

There seem to be some pretty nice lookign cars on the Pelican listings.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 475 Posts

theres a 92 964for 16k on pelican...it looks immaculate..i would jump on it if I could.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 PM
DARISC
Racer

I've nothing bad to say about the 944. Never had the desire to own one. A lot of people have described it as an "entry level" Porsche. True, as far as the name Porsche goes. But its not an entry level car relating to the 911 - the two cars are apples & oranges. To the dyed in the wool air cooled 911 fanatic, NARP might well apply. But if you like the 944 and want one, who cares?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Hello again, fellows. If you'll indulge me further, I'm just back from driving my first 911SC, a 1980 model, that one might view, if one wants, here:

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...0&pgno=1&srt=1

Impressions:
The body was very good. Impeccable, almost, thought the original (I think) paint had some imperfections on the leading edge. No dings. Just a few flecks in the finish from... wear and tear.

The interior was not quite as good. Seats were very good. Carpet good, and clean. Vinyl that trims the top of the door pockets was pock marked. (did some one pick away at this as a nervous habit?)

Ceiling vinyl a little loose in one place where it folds back at the opening for the sun roof. A little freyed in one small spot in back.

The motor was immediately responsive. Not as scary-powerful as the 944 turbo I drove. A less smooth, less slick car than the 944, but that's part of the charm of these beasts. I liked it. I liked it a lot.

If it was supposed to feel much more powerful than the 944 turbo, someone please tell me. I'm a bit worried the motor is a tad weak.

No play in the steering. A little tough, thogh, to throw the wheel around. Again, I take it this is part of the raw-ish, non-power-everything charm of these cars.

I was a little un-suave on the gear box. Glad the owner didn't ride along. Hope he's not reading . I accidentally ground first gear...2 or 3 times when aiming for 3rd. :-/

(Sorry, Cam!).

No rust. Panels were straight. From 30 feet away, it looked like a new car.

So. He tells me he paid $21, in March '06, and is asking $21, after putting $4k into various things, including a new clutch and new tires (TIRES?! c'mon, man! Don't try and hit me up for tires!)

So, please let fly with any further comments and suggestions. I liked this car, though I didnt' fall in love. I think love will take time to develop. In particular, I think I can allow myself the freedom to fall in love, only after I'm sure I'm not looking at the Porsche equivalent of a Saturday morning STD after an evening with a Friday night bar star.

The guy who owns the car seems a real decent fellow, but $21K seems ambitious, even if that's what he paid. For consideration, today, Canadian dollars are trading against US at $.92. Bringing in a car will cost 6% in federal GST ("Gouge and Swindle Tax") and 6.1% duty. (Duty?! What the he-l-l ever happened to "FREE TRADE"?) Then there's the cost of transport, or the cost of time off to drive back and travel down to fetch a car, should I decide to brave harassment and body cavity searches to come south of the border to pick up a better priced car.

So, I'm gonna try and see another 1980 SC this weekend, but if I like this first one better... would offering the guy $17.5 be a good place to start, or should I just keep looking, waiting,and extending my search further afield. Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Brent
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll pay half that in CA, but remember that every 911 becomes at least a 20k car in a few years. You're right; it just comes down to math now.

The 951 (944 turbo) has more peaky power but it won't pull as well in the lower rpms where you do most street driving. With a good gearbox and cylinder a 911 should be less trouble and maintenance cost.

After enough test drive I would search online amd plan a trip ot CA' followed by an exciting road trip home in a 911. I got home at 4 am when I got mine bcause I was too happy to stop until it was safely in my garage. Then I got up at 7 to excited to drive it to work. If it wouldn't wake my wife I'd go drive it right now!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Hey Chris,

Good points, and made in a delightfully amusing manner.

What to do, what to do!?

I'll look at the second SC tomorrow.

I know anther guy who might have his '82 for sale on monday, if his plan for a boxter works out.

Ahhhhhhh! Decisions!

It's almost winter here, anyway. What am I looking at? A month and a half. Ok, 2 and a half months before I have to put it away. It always snows by Halloween. Mebe I should wait and watch til spring.

It's increasingly tempting to go to Cal, and what a road trip home?!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:21 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, the closer to winter the more prices should come down. You seem to be almost in a rush to buy such a car.....don't be. Take your time.

To understand Canadian prices, these cars are priced to be more equivalent when the dollar was around 65-70 US. They won't react to a sudden surge in the dollar.

If you are willing to go as far as Vancouver I would, again, suggest you look south and really check the numbers. Getting it accross the boarder is really really easy, I did it at 2am on a thursday. They said they get at least 20 cars a day coming through privately. They know what they are doing and it is relatively painless.

Anyways, just my 0.02
Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Say, Old Neri-Man.

You are a wise Porsche man. The more I wait and learn, the more I will enjoy my eventual selection. I'll wait. This, after all, is meant to be a long term hobbie for me.

I'm pleased to hear about your experience bringing a car in. Clearly more of a psychological barrier than any thing else in my mind. I was just reading over on Pelican about bringing a car across. A bit of home work, but not too much, seems to be involved.

What did you get, in the end?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:38 AM
old man neri
Drifting

I got an 88 Targa off another rennlister. It's very nice and I like it.

The process to bring a car across is dead simple now that I think of it. PM me if you need details or have specific questions.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

'88+/- 944 = 1000 cars at $3,500 or less here in the L.A. O.C. area

'88+/- 911 = 100 cars at $20,000 or more in same area

very simple math even for me

I knew when the sales manager at Walter's Porsche made every guy in the building look at my car, that my old used 911 was still the E-ticket.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

old man, did you just buy Murphy's car?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:26 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by douglas bray
old man, did you just buy Murphy's car?
I most certainly did! I am going to post pictures as soon as the weather is nice and I get a chance to wash it. Right now i am working on it getting it's emission test and it's safety check so I can get it registered. Priorities.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I have a collection of great pictures of that car. that is the best looking threesome I have ever seen (Murphy, girl, 911) the best ones are at the office. I am so excited for you. that is a stunning example of 1988. that car is sooo miami vice. good job old man. you snaked the right car for sure. I was just telling my wife how nice a targa would be. man I am excited for you.

Quick Reply: Driving the 911 vs 944