Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My car is fun to drive again....woohoo!~

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My car is fun to drive again....woohoo!~

My car is fun to drive again! (ignition wires story)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back from a spirited country jaunt in my wonderful-again 83 cabriolet. My gosh, talk about awakening the dead. In some other threads, I have been all over the place about the hesitation and stumbling I had been experiencing. It had been getting a lot worse the last couple of weeks. I was getting very frustrated. I new the car acted like it had a miss, and then I did the night check on the ignition wires and it was like watching a laser light show at your local panetarium!

I ordered a set of Kingsborne early car (non-braided) wires after reading much about the topic on the forum here. Just got them in a couple of days ago and finally had some time to get them installed tonight. Earlier I posted that all but #5 and #6 went on in about 10-15 minutes. 5 and 6 were a different story, so I walked away from the car and returned about an hour later and finally finagled the stupid remaining wires onto the plugs. Readjusted idle speed to about 950 and took her for the aforementioned spin. Ran like a scalded dog again. The car has not ran this well since I bought it last year. I have been through the ignition wire deal with mucho practice on my Miata I used to have. Those things are notorious for having to replace the wires once a year. I really did not know what to compare the way my car was running to, and honestly, having had a topend rebuild 20K ago, I really did not think my wires would be in that bad a shape. So, I get back and grab my Fluke to check things out. Good grief! It's a wonder my car was even running, let alone poorly. My number 1 and 2 wires were already at 500 MOhms. My number 5 wire was open ckt. Now I may have finished the job on the number 5 when I removed it from the plug.

I still have a slight oscillation in the idle - and it is a fast oscillation if that makes sense. It bounces between 950-1050 maybe. Would this show I am probably running rich.

I have learned a LOT from this experience. And now I know what to compare to as far as the way the engine ought to run. Might even run better once I get my CIS finetuned I guess. I only hope my elation does not turn to deflation in the morning when I get up to drive the car again!

I had a lot of advice in the last few weeks as I bounced around a bit in my search for information on this problem. Thanks to all past and present who helped with answers and contributions to this board.

Can't wait to drive home...
(JOIN THE PLOT TODAY! - MUUHAAHAAAHAAAAA!!!!)

Mid TN Fun Run #4 - 7/21/2007
MTFR #5 - 8/11/07
(email me for details - vanweys@charter.net)
Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

That orginal post was from last night. Day 2 here and car ran great still on the way into work this morning. Awesome...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news. I recommend a professional with a high quality exhaust gas analyzer for tuning your CIS. For me it was only $90 at a well-respected local Porsche independent to get my timing and mixture adjusted after I did a valve adjustment myself. It's really not that much.

Brett
Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Really, $90? Yeah that sounds good. I would like to tackle the valve adjustment as well soon. I will call the shops in Memphis and see how they compare to yours.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy used to live in Nashville (until Jan 2007, and now he calls Charlotte, NC home), and would swear by Wickie Laurie at Rennwerks. Have you worked with him?

Enjoy that 83 Cab! I always wanted that SC drop-top....
-B
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
My buddy used to live in Nashville (until Jan 2007, and now he calls Charlotte, NC home), and would swear by Wickie Laurie at Rennwerks. Have you worked with him?

Enjoy that 83 Cab! I always wanted that SC drop-top....
-B
I have not had any work done by Wickie, but have certainly heard of him. Anyone I have run into that knows Porsches in Nashville swears by him. I am just an hour closer to Memphis than Nashville.

OK, you twisted my arm... I will go ahead and trade you my 83 cab for your Speedtser. I have a lot of family in Utah, so we can do this deal anytime!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, and thanks. I am very serious about my interest in 83 Cabs. I wanted one when I was in college, but could only afford a 79 SC Targa. My buddy who lived in Nashville was my college roommate, and in a recent conversation it came out that he viewed my car as "a beater". The truth hurts, but I must say in its defense that my SC ran strong for a solid decade after I purchased it. I will always love SCs. I hope to start my 8 year old son with one when he turns 16. He has already started his Porsche fund...

Enjoy your Cab!
-B
Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Foiled again... well you know where to find me if you change your mind!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Just moved to Nashville

This is a good thread, especially since I just moved to Nashville.

Haven't found Rennwerks or Wickie Laurie yet, so any additional info would be apprecieated.

Hope to meet some of you once we get moved into our house.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Really, $90? Yeah that sounds good. I would like to tackle the valve adjustment as well soon. I will call the shops in Memphis and see how they compare to yours.

Thanks
Well, if a quick adjustment is all it needs. If more diagnostics are called for, then get out the checkbook.

Brett

Quick Reply: My car is fun to drive again....woohoo!~